Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: GuyBrush's dumb terrible 'Naut idea: Dokter Ula
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:25 am 

*Snorts long line of cocaine.* Hey let's make a fan 'naut!
Well, in all honesty this is kinda just a few fun ideas I had for concepts that have yet to be explored in this game. These are mechanics that I personally find very fun in other games that aren't in 'nauts as of yet.

So this is my idea for
Dokter Ula S. Penyihir the Snake Shaman
"Dokter Ula Penyihir" meaning "Doctor Snake Witch" (snake witch doctor) in Javanese.
Role: Support, Brawler, Disabler
Mobility: Balanced
Backstory wrote:
There are planets far more hostile than Sonora out there, such as the distant and planet of Hiss VII. The hissians are dumb, violent, tribalistic snake people who regard intelligence as a weakness, as it is believed that it takes away from one's brute strength. There is little documentation on the hissians, as most explorers that come to the planet to document the creatures are usually killed and/or eaten, with all their possessions destroyed without a trace.
Turns out that, while the ships of the explorers are torn apart by the hissians, the parts are not destroyed. The few intelligent hissians who managed to survive their people's violent inquisition (either through disguise, deception, or just plain hiding) silently gather the remains of those less fortunate, desperately trying to form some sort of escape from their cruel planet.
One of the luckier snake people was Ula S. Penyihir. Able to spend his early years learning instead of fighting thanks to a lucky sandstorm burying his den, he hit his lucky break when a mining vessel fell (was shot) down onto the planet. As hoards of tribesnakes tore the vessel apart, its automated defenses manage to thin out the crowd so that, in the end, the snakes had to fall back after disabling the weapons by repeatedly hitting them with rocks and sticks. Ula watched all this from afar and, when his people left, seized the opportunity. He got onto the ship and headed straight for the control room, using his limited knowledge of piloting systems to turn on the auto-pilot and send him anywhere that wasn't Hiss VII. With a few system reboots the snake was free...
To find himself at gunpoint for hijacking a Zork Industries mining vessel. Blabl Zork (seeing that the hissian could actually speak) realized that the creature wasn't just a brute like his people, and therefore offered him a choice: Join the Awesomenauts and fight in the Solar War, or go back home.
The hissian didn't need any more convincing. Armed with the standard mining suit he had equipped when he first got on the ship, the self-proclaimed "Dokter" Ulta S. Penyihir joined the Awesomenauts, hoping that maybe being shot, blown up, burnt alive, and stabbed would beat what his people would do to him back home.
"I-It seems pain just comes looking for me."

Personality
I envision Ula as a very jittery character. Having to hide and run for all his life, he's extremely paranoid and freaks out at the slightest provocation. This could be shown by having Ula stutter as he speaks, letting out fearful yelps in his voice commands or perhaps having minor voice cracks from time to time.
Ideas for voice lines
Taunt: “W-Watch out, I’m dangerous! …Kinda.” “S-Stay back! I *voice crack* bite!” “I survived my h-home p-planet… You’re n-nothing!”
Help: “*Girly Shriek*” “Nonononononononono…” “Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease…”
Attack: “G-Go! Go now!” “*Nervous, aggressive hiss.*” “I’m s-sure we can fight them… As long as I hide.”
Defend: “No don’t do that! Don’t let them do that!” “T-They’re destroying everything! Reminds me of home…”

Design
Again, a snake in mining gear. :LeonWink: I imagine him in a very traditional space-suit, but with an open visor, no arms, and two robotic legs.
Oh and a lil' snake tail sticking out at the end. :leoneyes:

Abilities
Regular Attack: Venomous Bite
Being a snake (in mining gear) Ula obviously bites. While his bites don’t do much in terms of damage, he carries a deadly poison in his veins that can greatly cripple an enemy. Ula can also spit out a ball of venom that deals minor damage on hit but inflicts damage over time instead.
The way I envision this ability is as a two part melee attack and ranged attack, sorta similar to Ix’s AA. Ula would bite in the direction you’re facing, but also spit out venom towards the cursor. (Perhaps in an arch like Derpl cats) The bite would deal modest initial damage while the venom ball would do very low initial damage but cause a DoT. This would give Ula a lot of hit-and-run harassing capabilities while also making him decently capable of fighting if he gets dived.
Upgrade ideas: Increased DoT time, increased damage of bite/venom ball impact, poisoned enemies are slowed, poisoned enemies are weakened, allies hitting a poisoned enemy regain a portion of damage dealt as damage (shared lifesteal), poisoned enemies take more damage from Ula's abilities (armor break that only affects you)

Ability 1: Holosnake
Ula thought he got off Hiss VII alone, but he was quite mistaken. Stowed away on his ship were dozens of young hissians who were quick to pounce on the first group of mercenaries who entered the ship. Fascinated by the small snakes and their agility, Blabl commissioned a weapon for the newest Awesomenaut recruit.
This was honestly the first idea I had in regards to Ula: a projectile that would bounce to other targets after a delay. Think Skree lightning, but each bounce is delayed. This ability would cause Ula to fire out a small holographic snake that would latch on to either an ally or an enemy. The snake would either heal the ally or damage the enemy while latched on before eventually jumping off to another target. (It would probably be ‘naut only to avoid it jumping on droids all the time) If it has no targets to jump to, it will simply jump off and disappear.
Upgrade ideas: Increased Healing Done, Increased Damage Done, Increased Jump Range, Increased Damage/Healing when bouncing between targets on opposing teams (IE if it bounces from an enemy to an ally, the ally gets more healing. And vice-versa), Enemies who have a snake on them are (debuffed)/allies who have a snake on them are (buffed), If the snake expires early it deals more damage/healing

Ability 2: Safety Protocol
The Zork Industries mining suits are outfitted with the cheapest safety option available: a large burst of pressurized gas to knock back anything that may be in the immediate vicinity, like rocks or killer space worms.
Another idea I really wanted to try out was the idea of having your abilities mirrored on another player. While Ix can tether to his allies to buff them, he’s relatively passive in his interaction with his allies beyond swapping with them. I figured that, since Ula’s snake would be attaching to allies and enemies, having an ability that interacted with that would be interesting. Safety Protocol would be a short ranged AoE around Ula and the enemy a Snake is on that would deal damage and knock people back.
Upgrade ideas: Increased Damage, Knockback x2 when Ula isn’t also detonating a snake, Detonation now slows, Enemies hit by Safety Protocol twice (IE by both Ula and his snake target) are stunned, Detonating an ally will buff them (speed buff or damage buff?), Shield upon detonation

Honestly this is just some random ideas I had. I really like the idea of Holosnake and would love to see some sort of bouncing heal/damage projectile in the near future. I really just added a kit around it. :jimmy:

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: (MaxEmote), [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post subject: Re: GuyBrush's dumb terrible 'Naut idea: Dokter Ula
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:26 pm 

You've certainly got some interesting ideas here. The interaction between Holosnake and Safety Protocol are interesting. Maybe you could have an interaction between Holosnake and Venomous Bite's projectile.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 am 

BrassAsteria wrote:
You've certainly got some interesting ideas here. The interaction between Holosnake and Safety Protocol are interesting. Maybe you could have an interaction between Holosnake and Venomous Bite's projectile.

I thought about having an upgrade for Holosnake that paused buff/debuffs. IE: The buffs continue to affect you, but their duration doesn't tick down.
That would obviously have synergies with your own kit (extend DoT time) but it could also be really interesting with self-buffing 'nauts (Perma-Nitro'd Chucho :thumb: ) or hard CC 'nauts.
I thought it would be a bit too OP, especially if the snake also had a buff/debuff portion which you could likely indirectly extend by "pausing" debuffs.

Alpha Z wrote:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 am 

Location: In the land of someone else's imagination; occasionally also marking someone else's imagination.
Ah, GuyBrush joins our fold. Soon, the whole forum will be designing fan-'Nauts.

Just a tip: there is no need to call your idea dumb nor terrible. Chances are it is not. One of the fan-'Nauts is literally a piece of ham that has no offensive capability (aside from its existence being offensive to reality).

For the formatting, try to keep the sections distinct, and avoid styling it as "I predict this ability will be used to..." or "the first idea I had was...": Just skip straight to what you want to say and it makes reading them a lot easier. Numbers are also very helpful, but not imperative unless you are looking to produce "workable" designs.

Venomous Bite is simple but fits a harassment role while still being useful for close-range self-defence. The shared lifesteal upgrade is also interesting and ties into the idea of Ula's support nature without being the generic heals allies or health pack.

I like Holosnake's duality with regards to healing allies and damaging enemies: I was considering something similar and you have inspired me. I presume it could latch onto an enemy and then bounce to an ally (instead of only affecting the team it jumps to first). The upgrade for additional strength if it bounces between alternate teams is very neat indeed and would encourage skilful positioning, although I doubt how useful it would be, realistically.

Safety Protocol is something I would call uninspired until I saw the interaction with Holosnake, and then it made sense. If I understand correctly, it would be an AoE centred on Ula and the snake's current bounce target (if one exists) that knocks backwards and damages? Perhaps the AoE could also heal allies within its range to allow the snake to be used for additional healing?

This is a great foundation with abilities that complement each other wonderfully. It is not hugely mechanically complex, but could definitely pose some interesting tactics and positioning management regardless. I would give it further thought with numbers and fleshed-out upgrades next, as it definitely has mileage.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:55 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Just a tip: there is no need to call your idea dumb nor terrible. Chances are it is not. One of the fan-'Nauts is literally a piece of ham that has no offensive capability (aside from its existence being offensive to reality).

It's a theme with my threads. :LeonWink:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50746
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50276

And I have made fan ideas before. I did have an idea for what was basically Tahm Kench from League mixed with Zac from League (this was before I played League so kinda an original idea? ^^;) which I submitted for Fannaut 2 contest.
On a side note: My main idea with that characters was that Genji is the only banish character, and I wanted a banish character that could carry people around. I think I also gave him a clone ability and an auto-attack that would build up damage as he moved around. (Think Rocket's salvo but with a lot more scaling. The concept for the character was a sort of slime creature [but much more formless when compared to Scoop] and the AA charge mechanic was justified by the idea that the character was picking up stuff off the ground as he moved and was then throwing it at the enemy.)

Thing is I have good ideas but I can't really put them together in a good kit. :shrug:

Alpha Z wrote:

Mafia stats.