Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Getting new players on my team
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:17 pm 

I often am teamed with players with 50 or less hours on the game. This past player was league 4 while I am in league 1. I wait 3 minutes for a game and this is the best matchmaking the system can provide?

The thing is I don't know if this is actually a bug because it really isn't that surprising.

montage

exclusive coveted members only steamy streamy memey group

Post subject: Re: Getting new players on my team
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm 

Hey royal,

The matchmaker does not use Leagues as a basis for team combinations, but rather uses rating and ping (not hours, this only affects initial placement within' the first 50 games of your rating) among other factors to determine what players are best fit to be on your team and to be against you. Depending on these factors, matches like this can occasionally happen; they can also result when players ratings' do not appropriately affect their level of skill, since the ELO system is an approximation. This isn't a bug whatsoever, it's just the system getting confused due to the vast skill difference of players online at times and trying to make the best of a majority of factors; it probably tried to find players with rating around you, failed to find a sufficient amount with adequate ping, and took the rating average of each team as a factor instead (meaning the enemy team's rating average would be extremely close to your team's average) with respect to the best ping possible to avoid a laggy match.

There are a lot of things regarding this that are going to be tweaked in the future, but right now these matches will occur (albeit infrequently) due to the skill disparity within' the current playerbase. This problem would disappear entirely if we had the amount of players that Dota2 or LoL has, but for right now it's something that will occur until more f2p players gain experience or until we gain a large influx of experienced players.

Hopefully this answers any questions you had regarding this :ayla: !

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:01 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Just for my own sake as I have never understood this:

Is there a specific difference between matching based on the league and on the rating if the latter dictates the former?

Are leagues assigned with something more complex than simply the position on the leaderboards?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 pm 

Yea league/rating I use interchangeably but just wanted to point out where my skill level lies. I still play people from Brazil with 300 ping and I still get players with <100 hours in league 4. It's like pick your poison, bring back 5 minutes queues if it means I find people at least in league 3 who have at least some understanding of a "moba."

Or at least show teammates their rank so we are aware of their skill level. Too many times have I played around a teammate who actually didn't know how to react in a basic encounter. It was easier to carry before they implemented team leveling. Now there's a lot of reliability.

montage

exclusive coveted members only steamy streamy memey group

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Just for my own sake as I have never understood this:

Is there a specific difference between matching based on the league and on the rating if the latter dictates the former?

Are leagues assigned with something more complex than simply the position on the leaderboards?

Leagues are assigned in correspondence to the percentage of users in a certain threshold; the top 250 places are always L1, and then down to a certain rating is L2, L3, L4, etc. The only thing that determines these lower leagues are rank placements to rating percentage (i.e. what percentile are you in compared to others in the season). This is why early on in the season you can be rank 100 and be in L2, since these are set percentiles and the dataset is not large enough yet to fully represent all of L1 (there haven't been 250 people who have reached above the rating threshold for it or are in that percentile).

royalfrycook wrote:
Yea league/rating I use interchangeably but just wanted to point out where my skill level lies. I still play people from Brazil with 300 ping and I still get players with <100 hours in league 4. It's like pick your poison, bring back 5 minutes queues if it means I find people at least in league 3 who have at least some understanding of a "moba."

Or at least show teammates their rank so we are aware of their skill level. Too many times have I played around a teammate who actually didn't know how to react in a basic encounter. It was easier to carry before they implemented team leveling. Now there's a lot of reliability.

Like I said this does happen, mainly due to skill differences among the playerbase right now. The XP system makes matches with differently skilled teammates quite annoying, since it's a lot harder to carry now if they have an influence on your health and damage outputs as well as the enemy's if they feed. 5 minute queue times still happen to me personally, it's just a lot of skilled players have ditched the game at the present moment because of rating stagnation that has occurred as a result of 1000+ games played this season (you don't move up or down anymore). Hopefully a reset in the future along with better rating appropriations will fix some of these issues.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Ah, okay.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.