Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: How Leaderboards and matchmaking work
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 am 

Sometimes the game just disconnects and I get negative points. And why is so that some characters are logged before I play the game? Somebody already uses them, maybe?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:23 am 

Okay, so this is day 1 of the new ladder and there's people who apparently have played like 400 games already? Is this a common phenomenon? Do some nauts players bend the physics of time?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 am 

Incognimous wrote:
Okay, so this is day 1 of the new ladder and there's people who apparently have played like 400 games already? Is this a common phenomenon? Do some nauts players bend the physics of time?

There is a bug that sometime occurs for some players. Your number of games played SHOULD reset at the start of a new season. In some rare instances, the stat doesn't reset. So when the board resets, instead of having 0 games played, it still shows your old number from last season

Win percentage can also get bugged. It will either show 100% and decrease as you win, or show 0%. I've only encountered the 100% bug.

Typically, both of the above issues will clear up by themselves.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:00 am 

Quote:
What does not matter for the ranking calculation

-Kills/deaths/turret kills. This is because there are many ways to contribute to winning a match, and there is no way for the game to know how well you played. For example, a player who defends all match long but never makes any kills, might have contributed greatly to winning, but his stats won't show this. On the other hand, someone who makes a lot of kills but never pushes turrets, might in some cases be doing really badly.

This is still not a good way to rank. It isn't fair to not take into account KDR, because KDR can be very telling (and by KDR I mean awesomenaut kill only/death). It is ridiculous that the coding has no recognition between a player who goes freaking 18-0 and someone who is 1-7. Not taking that into consideration is a MUCH BIGGER CON than the one guy who is helpful but doesn't get kills. I am sick and tired of being stuck in the 400-500 slot despite the fact I am a league 1 player in terms of skill, and I was a league 1 player in general. It's not fair that I hardly go up in the leaderboards when I am constantly the best player in the room with the best KDR. System seriously needs to be reworked.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 pm 

Joost wrote:
-If you win you gain points, if you lose, you lose points.

In very low cases if your certainty is really low and you lose against a mucher higher rating player. You might actually gain rating from a loss.
It's quite rare and almost only happens right after leaderboard resets.

I was surprised when I first found that out.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:41 pm 

I would just like to link my most recent thread, as I consider it connected to the overall matchmaking/leaderboard discussion. I hope it gets a bit more attention, because it is quite a pending issue for me which is taking away a lot of the fun I could have with this game.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 pm 

So, I come from this F2P MOBA called SMITE. It's the only MOBA I have ever played (until now) and I can tell you for a certainty, it's an example matchmaking and lobby done right.

1. there is a queue every 2 minutes, everyone waits in that Q. Once the Q is up, matches are made. This means that every game played is fully packed, no bots. Ever.

2. You can chat to each other, in the lobby, whilst figuring out who is going to play which God (Character), and what roles are needed.

3. Because of the Q'ing, no one ever joins in halfway through a match.

4. If you quit or DC, and rejoin before match ends, you rejoin the match you left, if it's still in progress.

5. Ragequitters and DC'ers are punished - you can't play for a couple of hours. Thank you. Remembering that If it had been a genuine DC, you would have rejoined the match. I admit, if you get DC'd right at the end of the game, I'm sorry. Bad luck. but 90% of DC are going to get reconnected to their game before it ends, so it's forgivable.

6. Premades. SMITE is 5v5, but you can only go into a public match with a max of 3 in your team, and you are given Randoms to fill up your ranks. 5v5 teams have to enter a special 5v5 only Queue. (which has a 10 minute timer on it).

Why do I bring this up? Because I have been playing this game for about 20h, and so far I have been matched with bots the WHOLE TIME. there have been 7 matches with other people in them. I have never had anyone on my team.

1v1
    1v2
    1v1
    1v3 (I won) <= It was matched as a 1v2, and the late-joiner ended up on the other side.
    1v3 (I won) <= Against the same group
    1v3 (I lost) <= Against a premade, matched in the lobby - matchmaking put me 1v3 I'm that good? Really?
    1v2 (I won)
    1v1 (Oh, that's 8 matches. Shucks).

Oh, and I'm a League 2 now. I've only lost 3 games. Because like 100 of my games were against bots.

Matchmaking is seriously broken, and will lose you potential players, in droves. For example...

I have been playing this game for 20h, and I have bought about half the DLC for it - Starstorm plus about 15 skins, I think. I'm getting tired of this MM rubbish, and I am going back to SMITE for a while. Smite? Oh, I own everything - I've spent about $700 on DLC for it so far. As Ayla puts it "SHUDDUP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!" I was going to recommend Awesomenauts to my Clan (about 1500 strong, I was the Drill Instructor and Training Officer (about to be reinstated after I went on Leave)). I'm sorry, I can't put my name to this game just yet.

Can you imagine how many happy campers you would have if MM worked? Trust me, everything else pales in comparison to this issue right now.

On a happier note, I really like the Character selections and upgrade systems. Everyone seems truely unique (Even if Leon is almost a direct copy of Loki (my main from SMITE) - no, no - Leon is what Loki SHOULD be) It simplifies the MOBA genre and lowers the learning curve SO MUCH. it's great. ***Need to make it easier to see how many times something can be upgraded, and how many times it has been upgraded. Does that need it's own thread?

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:55 am 

hotmatrixx wrote:
So, I come from this F2P MOBA called SMITE. It's the only MOBA I have ever played (until now) and I can tell you for a certainty, it's an example matchmaking and lobby done right.

1. there is a queue every 2 minutes, everyone waits in that Q. Once the Q is up, matches are made. This means that every game played is fully packed, no bots. Ever.

2. You can chat to each other, in the lobby, whilst figuring out who is going to play which God (Character), and what roles are needed.

3. Because of the Q'ing, no one ever joins in halfway through a match.

4. If you quit or DC, and rejoin before match ends, you rejoin the match you left, if it's still in progress.

5. Ragequitters and DC'ers are punished - you can't play for a couple of hours. Thank you. Remembering that If it had been a genuine DC, you would have rejoined the match. I admit, if you get DC'd right at the end of the game, I'm sorry. Bad luck. but 90% of DC are going to get reconnected to their game before it ends, so it's forgivable.

6. Premades. SMITE is 5v5, but you can only go into a public match with a max of 3 in your team, and you are given Randoms to fill up your ranks. 5v5 teams have to enter a special 5v5 only Queue. (which has a 10 minute timer on it).

Why do I bring this up? Because I have been playing this game for about 20h, and so far I have been matched with bots the WHOLE TIME. there have been 7 matches with other people in them. I have never had anyone on my team.

1v1
    1v2
    1v1
    1v3 (I won) <= It was matched as a 1v2, and the late-joiner ended up on the other side.
    1v3 (I won) <= Against the same group
    1v3 (I lost) <= Against a premade, matched in the lobby - matchmaking put me 1v3 I'm that good? Really?
    1v2 (I won)
    1v1 (Oh, that's 8 matches. Shucks).

Oh, and I'm a League 2 now. I've only lost 3 games. Because like 100 of my games were against bots.

Matchmaking is seriously broken, and will lose you potential players, in droves. For example...

I have been playing this game for 20h, and I have bought about half the DLC for it - Starstorm plus about 15 skins, I think. I'm getting tired of this MM rubbish, and I am going back to SMITE for a while. Smite? Oh, I own everything - I've spent about $700 on DLC for it so far. As Ayla puts it "SHUDDUP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!" I was going to recommend Awesomenauts to my Clan (about 1500 strong, I was the Drill Instructor and Training Officer (about to be reinstated after I went on Leave)). I'm sorry, I can't put my name to this game just yet.

Can you imagine how many happy campers you would have if MM worked? Trust me, everything else pales in comparison to this issue right now.

On a happier note, I really like the Character selections and upgrade systems. Everyone seems truely unique (Even if Leon is almost a direct copy of Loki (my main from SMITE) - no, no - Leon is what Loki SHOULD be) It simplifies the MOBA genre and lowers the learning curve SO MUCH. it's great. ***Need to make it easier to see how many times something can be upgraded, and how many times it has been upgraded. Does that need it's own thread?

Yes, you should post your thought into its own thread on the main page :thumb:

Frankie3nig has been permabanned by Sony 0

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:32 am 

Quote:
Yes, you should post your thought into its own thread on the main page :thumb:

done:
you can see the thread here:
http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31831

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:39 pm 

>Mfw I only get put up against leauge 1 comp. players everytime I play with friends.

Do premade teams have some sort of up in scaling? Because I swear the 5-6 last matches I've tried to play with a friend, we have only, ONLY been put up aainst pubstompers in pretige 6-10, leauge 1 champs.

And we lose.

Every.
Single.
Time.

Its unbalanced as hell. Is there any explanation to this?

Sue me.