Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Customising the replay-to-video encoder
 Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:49 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Getting the much better x264 encoder

To export replays to video files Awesomenauts uses ffmpeg, a program that can be used for all kinds of multimedia applications. The version of ffmpeg that Awesomenauts ships with, however, is very minimal and can only be used with the MPEG1 encoding options. This is due to patent complexities. To use the much better X264 format or Custom encoding options you need to download a more complete version of ffmpeg. This is a quick and easy process and completely free. It is also highly recommended, as the x264 codec options are faster, give a higher quality image and a smaller output file.

Where to get ffmpeg
Windows: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Choose the latest Static ffmpeg build with the bit version that corresponds to your own computer.

Mac: http://ffmpegmac.net/
Choose the binary download that is fit for your computer.

Extract your newly acquired file wherever you'd like.

Where to put ffmpeg
In the newly extracted ffmpeg directory you will find a binary named "ffmpeg". The location of the executable differs for each operating system.

Windows:
<name of directory you extracted>/bin/ffmpeg.exe

Mac:
In this case the ffmpeg binary is located directly in the folder you extracted to.

You'll have to copy the ffmpeg binary to the ffmpeg-gpl video directory.

Usually (on Windows), the directory you'll have to copy the file to is located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Awesomenauts\Data\ReplayEncoder\ffmpeg-gpl\

Note: If this is not the case for you, then you can navigate to the right directory directly by recording a video in Awesomenauts first. After finishing or interrupting the recording process you will be prompted with the question if you want to go to your video location. Click yes. Your file browser will open in the ReplayEncoder directory and you should see the ffmpeg-gpl subdirectory. Double click it and paste your ffmpeg binary there.

Now when selecting the x264 codec setting you should no longer get a pop-up and you should be able to successfully encode using the x264 encoder.

Post subject: Re: Customising the replay-to-video encoder
 Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:29 pm 

Should Linux users follow the OS X instructions come 2.10?

Veanko wrote:
Ignotis the hedgehog confirmed

STEAM

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

The replay-to-video feature is currently only supported in the Mac and Windows versions of Awesomenauts because on Linux the game uses a different audio library and getting audio encoding to work turned out too difficult.

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:42 pm 

Joost wrote:
The replay-to-video feature is currently only supported in the Mac and Windows versions of Awesomenauts because on Linux the game uses a different audio library and getting audio encoding to work turned out too difficult.

Could you maybe make it video-only on Linux? It’s a bit unpleasant, but better than nothing (to me).

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:46 am 

Yeah - something's better then nothing! Ffmpeg is also actively developed for Linux (although I think the main Debian distributions now prefer its fork Libav), so sounds doable. It's probably a tiny fraction of the playerbase - but it'd be a happier tiny fraction! :-)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 am 

On linux:
-No dual stick controller o single controller fully supported (xbox360 aim at 20/25° angles)
-No AI editor
-No video encoder

Whats next? no Steam Workshop?

Next time you do a kickstarter campaign clarify all the terms please. I feel scammed...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:51 am 

i think linux features are just coming late, not non-coming at all.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:59 am 

Domon wrote:
i think linux features are just coming late, not non-coming at all.

Just late? I'm sorry, but the truth is worse than just late

Encode mode:
Joost wrote:
We don't expect we will have Linux support for this feature, since the audio engine of Awesomenauts on Linux is problematic for this feature.

Joystick support (2 years plus kickstarter promises) : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20686&hilit=joystick+gamepad

AI Editor (1 year): Patch 2.5 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31095

Opengl glitches, but Windows run on DirectX, so no problem :voltarroll:
Joost wrote:
Patch 2.9.2: General
-Switched default driver setting for new players from OpenGL to DirectX. OpenGL drivers from some vendors keep being buggy and are even getting worse. We advise everyone with weird graphics glitches and alt+tab problems to switch to DirectX.

Unfortunately the Linux version of the game is currently the worst of all and nothing indicates that this will change in the future :tear:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:49 pm 

ThecaTTony wrote:
On linux:
-No dual stick controller o single controller fully supported (xbox360 aim at 20/25° angles)

Yeah, I complained about this some time ago in this thread, but missed the reactions because I can't find a subscribe to thread button anywhere.

No XInput support is really annoying, I main Rae and I really can't play with her in Linux.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:19 pm 

ThecaTTony wrote:
-No AI editor
-No video encoder

Wrong. I've been AI modding on Linux for almost a year. The editor comes packaged with the Linux version and runs very well through Wine.

Veanko wrote:
Ignotis the hedgehog confirmed

STEAM