Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Map Editor: Animations Becoming Unselectable
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 am 

This is an issue that I have encountered 3 times now and it can be extremely annoying when adding visuals to a map. Sometimes (I have no idea what triggers it), an animation can become unselectable when positioned in the background or foreground (adding parallax). Even when clicking and dragging over the area, I cannot reselect these animations and so they become permanent objects in the map which I have to hide with other textures.

If you'd like to check it out, this problem is evident on my map Luxor with the drill animation in the foreground at each base, which I have covered over with a rock, but you can still see where the animation is flashing rapidly from me being unable to reduce the speed.

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post subject: Re: Map Editor: Animations Becoming Unselectable
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Layers in the level editor all have their own depth ranges. Changing depth in animations / objects / whatevers will automatically assign them to the corresponding layer. Something with a high foreground (negative) parallax will automatically be moved into a higher layer, something with a high background (positive) parallax will automatically be moved to a lower background layer.

This means effectively that when you have all layers locked with the exception of the gameplay layer and you give an object there a different depth, it's entirely possible that the object becomes unselectable. This isn't a bug, it just means it has been assigned to a new layer that was locked /unselectable because you made it so. Also keep in mind that selection bounding boxes cán be offset from the actual object.

What I'd suggest you do is the following:

1)Make all layers editable/selectable, and drag a moderately sized selection box around the animation (verify you can move it by right mouse+dragging it)
2) turn off the layers one at a time, trying to figure out in what layer the object is situated.
3) try isolating the object itself. Keep in mind alt+clicking will deselect objects!

If this still doesnt solve the issue get back to us and we'll take a look.
Thanks for reporting!

Post subject: Re: Map Editor: Animations Becoming Unselectable
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:39 pm 

Well this method worked for one of these instances, however I still find myself unable to select an animation I have positioned in the background, namely a BB_BASE_PISTON.

I've even tried selecting the entire map, with all layers visible and selectable, and moving/deleting it all, and no luck. The animation remains firmly placed in the background, unable to be moved :shrug:

It's not the biggest issue ever, as I've covered it with a texture but I'd hate for others to encounter this issue and end up ruining the visuals for their map as a result.

I wish I could be more help in working out how this issue came about. All I remember is picking out an animation, positioning it in the background using parallax and turning the speed up to 100 (so that I could see the animation play out). I then moved on to work on something else, and when I returned to turn the speed back down to 1, I found I could no longer select the animation.

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip: