Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Salkovon's Skølldir Build Guide — Free Serving of Fist
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41 pm 

Hi, this is my Skølldir build that works very well in high League 2. This is my normal build order. It changes sometimes depending on enemy Nauts.

Build Order

First Drop

Solar Tree-Mighty Throw

Now that Piggy Bank is absolute garbage, Solar Tree is by far the better option.

2nd Trip

Rubber Ducky ChockerOily Spray-On Bronze-League Seven Boots

Next on your list is stun to help you land kills and chase. As soon as you get 200 solar, go get Oily. Combos REALLY well with a lot of his upgrades including stun. Once you have 155 solar buy Boots. Extra movement speed will be good for chasing (which Skølldir is really good at) and the boost is great for getting into enemy's faces really fast and landing the full duration of Oily.

3rd Trip

Perfumed White Flowers-Perfumed White Flowers

This shopping spree is just for healing. Flowers grant really good sustain and duelling and 1 stage of regen will just help with not getting poked to death and surviving DoT.

4th Trip

Homeless Gnome-Homeless Gnome

I no longer take slow early, unless there is Froggy or Lonestar. Gnome is good for poking Nauts and turrets and more damage on throw.

5th Trip

Earthquake-Electric Hammer-Small Volcano

Snare is nice for annoying pokes and locking down targets. You can sometimes get 2 ticks of quake off, so you can potentially get a 1s snare. Height is really good since in close range it's unavoidable unless the enemy has a very quick and high jump like Froggy.

Final Upgrades

Stone Twins-Chunk of Salted Meat 3x-Cortexiphan Shake-Cortexiphan Shake-Med-I-Can-Med-I-Can

Stone Twins is actually very underrated, it works great against Froggy and gives really good area denial. Paired with Height, people will have a hard time jumping over you. Damage is good for obvious reasons. After a long time of expirementing with Chunk of Salted Meat and Pale Mead I find CoSM better because the extra damage can be crucial sometimes. Both stages of slow are taken late because slow is not very necessary most of the time, but still very nice nonetheless. Regen is not needed because of Flowers. You can switch out regen for pills or something else,but with regen you can have insane survivability when used with flowers.

Matchups

Froggy G

Stun punch will cancel his nado and cannot be reflected by RBAY. He can deal a lot of damage to you with dash and tweeters, but Skølldir has the upper hand because of his large * of CC. If you see a Froggy G I'd get Slow after you max flowers.

Lonestar

He can poke you really well with exploding bulls and long range dynamite, and equally deal lots of damage with dynamite and missiles at close range. Avoid him until mid game where you have healing to duel him better. Get slow after you max flowers with him.

Leon

Really easy to fight him since he's melee too, except has lower DPS. Duel him a lot when his teammates aren't near and you can sometimes get a kill by throwing him into your team. He only really poses a threat once he has his really strong late game AA.

Clunk

Skølldir completely hard counters Clunk. He's got FAR better lifesteal (oily+flowers), can bait an explode without taking damage, got better DPS, and can easily lockdown Clunk in front of a turret for a long time because of Clunk's large hitbox and predictable movement. Free kill. :thumb:

Voltar

Free kill in the early - mid game but once he has insane end game Drones you'll have to be very careful. If you can get a snare quake on him when he's over extended and then land a throw, he'll most likely be dead. However a lot of Voltar's take cortex tank now so it's really hard for Skølldir to get near and do anything.

Gnaw

Early game is annoying because of DoT and weeds, but in mid game you can really easily lock him down in your turret and DoT is completely useless due to Flowers and Regen. Weeds are still a small threat to you though. Take 1 stage of regen if doesn't upgrade damage on spit, take both stages if he has max spit damage.

Coco

Ball is very painful and blaze will leave you vulnerable, but her jump is predictable and you can easily land your punches and combo.

Skølldir

This matchup is kinda odd. It mostly depends on who gets the first 3rd punch off to get the throw. You should play passive until he uses his throw, when you should take that window of opportunity to play aggressive for a while since you know he can't punish you too hard. You shouldn't stay near for too long though, or you might risk getting thrown into his turret once his cd is done. DO NOT go near him when he is at his turret. If you have map control, try doing a short hop out of the bush and throw him, or wind up your 3rd hit while hidden and stun->throw him.

Yuri

Now that Yuri has CC immunity, he is immune to throw and your punches don't do much to him since he can just float above you. Don't hug the Yuri too much, or he will facemine you.

Raelynn

If she charges snipe, try landing a stun punch and then throw her. She gets bodyblocked really easily too, so turret lockdowns are easy. If she's a RiftRae with HC Bomb be a bit more careful when diving for her. RaeAA is pretty easy to deal with because of flowers, but if she has HC Bomb be careful like said before. If she's upgrading snipe heavily get regen after flowers.

Derpl

As long as he doesn't have traps surrounding him and you don't walk into one when he's near, he's quite easy to deal with. You can dodge his nuke easily and recover from his siege bullet damage with flowers. Once he tries to unsiege you can throw him.

Vinnie & Spike

He can dodge your punches really easily, and poke you well from above with AA and even better with the range upgrade. If he tries to dive you throw him, but if he has silence or CC immunity on smokescreen he's hard to punish. Just try to throw him when you can. Once you've got him behind you he's quite easy to punch.

Genji

He can fly above your head and hit you with painful Butterfly shots. If he gets thrown he can use cocoon and waste your oily duration and get away. If you doesn't have cocoon, he can run away with Speed Blessing. You can damage him but it's hard to completely kill him without another teammate to finish him off once he uses cocoon on you.

Ayla

Don't duel her and harass her with quake. If you throw her into the turret be sure not to let her lifesteal from anything.

Swiggins - If he locks you down with his team nearby you're dead meat. However, by himself he's not that harmful and you can just throw him away and burst down his anchor.

Ted - If he has knockback you are kind of helpless, the only time you will get to throw him if he has kb is when he's pushing, although he can shoot you away and waste your duration of Oily. If he has no kb he's like Rae, be careful of his dps from AA but once you throw him he's ez dead.

Playstyle

Stay on the frontlines often since your variety of healing upgrades will be great for staying in lane. Run away if there are more than 2 enemies near you on their side of the map. Constantly harass with quake and get a throw combo whenever safe. Stick with your team in the early game and coordinate throw ganks. In mid game you'll have a lot of killing power in 1v1, so go roam around, clear droids, and kill people with your punch->throw combo.

Tricks and Tips

- Click Punching

Basically individually clicking your punches to time them perfectly. It may seem useless once you first try it, but once you get the hang the timing of all the punches it will become one of your best uses. Only exception to not click punch is when you have oily, because you might waste some of the duration.

- Quake/Fart Drop

If you double jump and quake, you will INSTANTLY fall to the floor. Very useful for surprising enemies and getting away. Double jumping without quaking will make you fall very fast, but not as fast as quake drop. This will also be very useful once you get the hang of it.

- 3rd Punch Windup

Use your 1st and 2nd punch, and then rush into the fight with your 3rd powerful fist. Can create a lot of surprise kills.

- Retreating Punch

While retreating, use your punches to deal damage and heal up. If your enemy chases you all the way to your turret, you can have an oppurtunity to land a good throw and stun lock them, potentially killing them with you getting away. Just shows how greedy people can be. :mrgreen:

- Jump Prediction

Once you get the rhythm of stun's duration in your head, you can easily predict when enemies will jump to try to avoid your punch.

Toilethumour's 1v3 video demonstrates a lot of these tricks.

Changes to the Build and Order

- 2nd Stage of Med-I-Can

If there are poke/harass nauts like Rae or Coco, take both stages of regen early to not die from pokes. Gnaw with max DoT is also nice to have both stages against.

- Pills over Bank

I like to take bank so I can buy stun immediately, but because of dominance of burst pills can fare very well for a better mid - late game.

- Range instead of Height or Twins

Range is really good for lots of harass, but I prefer big lockdowns with Height, Snare, and Twins.

I'm done for now, hope you learnt something from my guide. :)

Last edited by Salkovon on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Salkovon's Skølldir Build Guide — Free Serving of Fist
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm 

Over 50 views, no replies. :(

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:10 pm 

I would reply, but I don't play skolldir. I'll just say nice build.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:12 pm 

cllazyman wrote:
I would reply, but I don't play skolldir. I'll just say nice build.

Thank you. ^u^

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:54 pm 

Hey, this is pretty much my skolldir build :P
Some people don't like taking regen and flowers on the same loadout but I really enjoy using it, can get you out out of some crazy situations.
Another thing is possibly switching out bank for tree. You can get stun punch fast enough with it, with the added plus of letting you get snare/oily/flowers faster.

Marshmallow_Fox wrote:
But he was an alligator.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm 

i would switch piggy for pills - getting an early kill only works against bad players, but the extra pills that you can have in midgame make sure that you never die out of team fights.

/E you get damage on fist at the very end, why not take the more expensive but more powerful one?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 am 
Adminaut

Now, you're no doubt a better Skolldir, but may I ask why you choose Pale Mead over Chunk of Salted Meat? Mead is, without a doubt, cheaper, but Meat turns out more damage when maxed out (3:6:12, compared to 2:4:10).

Just curious.

I'm FishmanDerp. Just call me Fish.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:08 am 

Chunk of salted meat is better in every way.

The House Always Wins

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am 

Why no range on 3rd bash? It's one of my favorite upgrades.

Other than that I can dig it. Been playing a lot of Skolldir lately :thumb:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 am 

TrentFreeze38 wrote:
Chunk of salted meat is better in every way.

If it's more expensive, it's obviously not "better in every way". :voltarroll:

FishmanDerp wrote:
Now, you're no doubt a better Skolldir, but may I ask why you choose Pale Mead over Chunk of Salted Meat? Mead is, without a doubt, cheaper, but Meat turns out more damage when maxed out (3:6:12, compared to 2:4:10).

Just curious.

Skølldir being a semi carry (at least IMO), he can end games relatively fast. Therefore I don't need the tiny damage increase for the big increase in price. But again, it's personal preference.