Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Clunk builds
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:01 pm 

Alright, sitting at rank 790 currently.
Rising up thru the ranks generally with this build.

I tend not to bother with double-missiles anymore, as its expensive and conditional. I'd rather my fat pete always be a 400+ damage AoE bomb. Great push / damage / area denial.

Then I usually just build into survival upgrades.

Good against all but the best teams. After that, if I'm having trouble landing explodes, I'll pick up either slowsplode or snarebite. If not, or after I get my CC, I build into explode damage, then from there I usually just win.

Boots are conditional. Most games I don't feel set back enough to need them, but sometimes I definitely need them. They're not so much for catching up to faster opponents as they are for running to teammates who need help.

What do other clunks build and why?

Post subject: Re: Clunk builds
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:21 pm 

I've been struggling with Clunk lately, but your thread did make me realize that Nautsbuilder is finally up to date (mostly) and I can finally crunch numbers for 'nauts like Clunk again.

Apparently, with Fragmenting Shells included, the best combo for DPS is Free Flight Fins + Missile Barrage. Of course, you lose the extra 50 (lv1) to 75 (lv20) burst that Fat Pete gives you by not going Missile Barrage + Fat Pete. And the DPS difference is only an extra 2.64 at level 1, 4.14 at level 20.

I've kind of been bouncing between the two builds when I play, but I'll definitely be building for burst missiles now. Gonna have to teach myself to keep Pete pre-loaded and not space on it like I tend to. :shrug:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:24 pm 

Popped in to check out the forums, good to see Clunks build still hasn't changed after so long.

frags - fp - mb is always good, though give homing a try instead of missile barrage if the missiles still explode at the end of their flight. The aoe paired with the homing can be great for controlling your opponents movements.

Try out pc + multi hose instead of medical pump, clunks base health is more than enough to survive burst most of the game, that early game sustain is normally more than enough to secure lane presence and roaming potential.

I feel like Multi hose doesn't get as much love as it should XD.

Total kills: 39344
Total Clunk kills: 26305
http://www.twitch.tv/raorkxd

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 pm 

Raork wrote:
give homing a try

Raork still being weird. oO

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:48 pm 

Raork wrote:
Popped in to check out the forums, good to see Clunks build still hasn't changed after so long.

frags - fp - mb is always good, though give homing a try instead of missile barrage if the missiles still explode at the end of their flight. The aoe paired with the homing can be great for controlling your opponents movements.

Try out pc + multi hose instead of medical pump, clunks base health is more than enough to survive burst most of the game, that early game sustain is normally more than enough to secure lane presence and roaming potential.

I feel like Multi hose doesn't get as much love as it should XD.

There you are Raork, always thinking outside the box. Love it.

Def gonna try homing+frag, that actually sounds amazing. Sounds like consistent damage and insane area denial. Plus, cheap.

Multi+regen? That's something my mind keeps telling me to try, but I never do because I'm scared of the anti-synergy. But honestly... burst healing AND healing-over-time? Sounds good enough to try, atleast.

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:11 am 

Fat Pete doesn't add to your Area denial and DPS as mush as Free Flight fins, but increases potential burst,
Barrier mag is mathematically inferior to Power Pills, $180 for (essentially) +10% HP,
As apposed to $130 for +8%, or $260 for +16%.

Other than that it's more or less identical to mine :raehands:

EDIT: oh, and homing is more/less a training wheels upgrade, being above 1K I'd assume you can safely ignore it

"unreasonably aggressive and nasty" - doofball :raehands:

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:06 pm 

Bloojay wrote:
Fat Pete doesn't add to your Area denial and DPS as mush as Free Flight fins, but increases potential burst,
Barrier mag is mathematically inferior to Power Pills, $180 for (essentially) +10% HP,

Other than that it's more or less identical to mine :raehands:

EDIT: oh, and homing is more/less a training wheels upgrade, being above 1K I'd assume you can safely ignore it

Your argument for barrier fails to account for two factors.

1- Barrier has high synergy with bite. Like, if you take less damage, then the life-steal you get from bite is more effective.

2- Also, pills % increase only applies to Clunk's base HP. What if you take barrier+medical pump? That completely changes your math.

As for homing with frags... I'm trying it out, and I'm having a lot of success so far. Its like Lonestar's homing missile upgrade plus boom bullets. Just makes me really annoying and guarantees that my opponents get take dmg if they come near me.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:05 am 

Bloojay wrote:

Barrier Mags does not only synergise with the amount of health you theoretically have, but also all forms of health sustain you have coming in.
aka
40 hp a tick becomes 44 hp worth of damage you can take, a bite gains at say 300, a 30 increase.
so if you have stacked PC ticking away or a form of multi hose you gain a great boost.

Try out,
PC - multi hose - med i can + barrier mag , OR med i can - barrier mag - pc
The results are quite interesting especially if purchased earlier in the game.

that 6% health looks good as a mathematical percentage 16% > 10%, when in reality that 10% applies to more areas it helps increase your sustain. More health is worthless if you cannot fill it.

EDIT ohh damn, the Major already got this covered.

Total kills: 39344
Total Clunk kills: 26305
http://www.twitch.tv/raorkxd

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:28 pm 

Even though everything I say is kinda worthless, here you go:
Note: I can't seem to remember most ability upgrade names so I'll list by effects for he ones I can't remember :weedling:

Bite: 1 stage damage, snare, multi hit

Splode: damage, slow, self damage

Missiles: fins, fat Pete, frag shells

Utility: boots, pills, barrier mag/medican if against gnaw or other major DoT source

Basically Tanky enough to to be bulliet-proof, blast-proof, bear-proof, etc. only stupidity /being outplayed by a long shot can kill it :lolstar:

GUESS WHO'S BACK?! nope, I'm still dead.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:22 am 

This is the build I've just started running.
Allows you to do pretty much everything.
Can clear droid waves very quickly with FragPete + DamageHose.
Can stay out on the field longer due to all the health you get with DamageHose.
Cooler allows me to play much more aggressive and stay in the fight even after using Explode.

Idk why I delayed getting the second stage of Thermo the first time I started using this build, but it has worked for me so far.

Usually I never get Cooler unless my team is already stomping or I'm with 2 initiators (Genji+Yoolip for example) cause I use the downtime to clear both droid waves, but I've begun to see more uses for it.
In the Ksenia Mu I've found it's pretty useful since I tend to miss Explodes on her a lot because she's so nimble and because of Virtual Girl. Cooler can allow you to get another explode off before Vanish comes off cooldown.

Pretty much always stick with Frags, Pete, Salvo for all situations, I'll swap out Frags for MB if we've already got enough push but more often than not (In SoloQ) I've found it's best to just use Frags (mostly cause it's my favorite Missile upgrade) due to all the uses it has.