Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ideal Game Pad Configuration?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:23 am 

So my trackball broke the other day. Thankfully, I was able to connect my Wii U Pro controller to my computer and it works for natus! So quick question before I dive right into a new control scheme. Is there any "Ideal" way to configure a game pad? Here is how I have mine set up;

Jump: ZL
Attack:ZR
Special 2: L
Special 1: R
Movement: L Stick
Aiming: R Stick
Teleport: Y
Open/close shop: X
Menu confirm: A
Menu Cancel: B
Scoreboard: -
Open Menu: +
Taunt: ↑
Defend:←
Attack: →
Help: ↓

I know some people use things like ABXY to attack/jump but you need your fingers to aim as well. I'm guessing some people aim using the basic directional input ties to their player movement but that begs a question. How on earth do you people kite with Rocco and Lonestar? I usually use both sticks to move and aim so I usually set commands to triggers. I started doing this back when Megaman X collection when I couldn't beat the final boss for X2. You had to hold the charge shot down, jump and dash with one finger at different times. I reset jump and attack to the shoulder buttons and it worked for me. Idk, though. I'm not a game pad player standardly. Anyone have any insight?

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post subject: Re: Ideal Game Pad Configuration?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:49 pm 

Diz Hydron wrote:
I know some people use things like ABXY to attack/jump but you need your fingers to aim as well. I'm guessing some people aim using the basic directional input ties to their player movement but that begs a question. How on earth do you people kite with Rocco and Lonestar?

I really don't like using dual stick for awesomenauts so i use the face buttons.

I kite with lone/rocco by quickly tapping the direction, firing, and tapping back to move. it's not hard once you're used to the firing speed (doesn't work with say rocco's +40% attack speed, but at that point i'm mostly chasing)

It's inferior to people who can aim and move separately, since i'm less accurate and have a slight movement disadvantage, but I still get by in the upper leagues. It's super hard to aim precision things that i only have one shot at though. like i can never hit leons tongue. also skoldir is really hard for me to use with a controller because his acceleration is really bad so its hard to punch backwards while turning around quickly as i lose all momentum

anyways your setup is probably better as long as you get used to it, i just played face buttons for a long time so switching just messes me up

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 pm 

I do a weird hand position so I'm pressing the right stick in a direction while also holding the fire button down. These were the things we did in the dark times known as the late 90's.

If you can get used to using the shoulder buttons for commands so your thumbs are free for movement and aiming, that would probably be best. I play the way I do because I can't get used to it, and will never be able to.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:43 pm 

Its a pretty expensive piece of equipment, but Xbox One Elite controller works wonderfully in Awesomenauts (and other games too). It has special trigger buttons at the back of it that work as ABXY you use with your middle and ring fingers, which allows you to use dual stick controlling, without relying to use awkward shoulder buttons to everything. For example, you AA very naturally with your left hand ring finger while moving and aiming with the 2 sticks at the same time. Well, cant recommend it to everyone as the controller does cost 150 dollars... :oops: