Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: PSA: You aren't looking at your minimap enough
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm 

You are never ever looking at it enough. Any moments where you're not paying attention to your minimap should be reflected on as "Crap, I forgot to look at my minimap"

that is all

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post subject: Re: PSA: You aren't looking at your minimap enough
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:00 pm 

This is a very important PSA. I hate noticing all three enemies up on top lane and then seeing all my allies moving to clear bottom. This happens far too often.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:07 pm 

As a clunk main, I can verify the importance of the minimap.

GUESS WHO'S BACK?! nope, I'm still dead.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 pm 

This is true for new players, but if you play long enough you can start to use it less and less. Generally you only need it if you want to know what's going on somewhere else. If you're in the middle of a teamfight, or you're anticipating an ambush the minimap doesn't help at all.

Enemies don't show up on your minimap until they're about 1/4 the distance from the edge of your screen to your character.

So let's say you need be alert for a Ksenia who's been on your ass the whole game, you quickly glance over to your minimap to see if your team needs help. That's when all of a sudden WHAM! Ksenia starts mauling you. Since you're human, there's a short window between when you're looking at your minimap and when you move your eyes over to Ksenia where you have no visual information coming in. By the time your brain assesses the situation and figures out what you need to do, Ksenia has already done all her damage and casually walks out of the scene.

That kind of stuff happens all the time at high level play, you need to rely on intuition more and more the higher up you go.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:33 pm 

Luckytime wrote:
This is true for new players, but if you play long enough you can start to use it less and less. Generally you only need it if you want to know what's going on somewhere else. If you're in the middle of a teamfight, or you're anticipating an ambush the minimap doesn't help at all.

Not really. Generally speaking peripherals is enough to be ready and deal with most things. Obviously in the middle of a hectic teamfight you aren't going to be staring at the minimap, but looking at where people aren't on the minimap tends to tell you a lot about where they are. If you get really good at interpreting it you can see when allies and enemies use abilities and have a rough idea of how much health they are likely to be at.

If nothing is directly happening where you are you should probably be looking at the minimap instead since the information it gives is vital if you want to position yourself well.

Take your Ksenia example. If you glance at the minimap to see if your allies need help with a teamfight, and notice the Ksenia isn't there then you can expect her to be invis relatively close to the action depending on where you saw her earlier. So you should know to be ready for the Ksenia. If you are really aware you can watch out for indicators such as solar disappearing or listen for footsteps.

Looking at the minimap is far more nuanced than just seeing where everyone is. 90% of the high level "intuition", at least in my experience, comes from interpreting the minimap.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:35 pm 

I'm going to have disagree wholeheartedly. You should have been aware of the ksenia threat in the first place, something that's made infinitely easier by paying attention to your radar. I play competitive and my eyes are always on the radar. Bodyhunter, whose in grand finals of Rumble, said that he pays more attention to radar than he does the actual screen.

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:39 am 

I agree more with what (I think) Lucky is saying. Bottom line is that radar is a crutch and there are numerous situations where looking at your minimap is worse than looking at your screen. When you get a really solid understanding of the game, you know what people are going to do, where they are going to be, what their cool downs are, and what their best initiations are going to be. People aren't superhuman geniuses so looking at the minimap is still critical. Looking at the screen means you don't have to refocus your eyes and you're guaranteed to not miss any visual cues on screen.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 am 

The_Decompiler wrote:
Bottom line is that radar is a crutch and there are numerous situations where looking at your minimap is worse than looking at your screen.

While this is true the point I am trying to get across is that with good knowledge of the game and, ironically, good interpretation of the minimap you will know when these moments are.

I think perhaps the point of the thread is not to literally say "spend more time looking at the minimap" (although for less experienced players this will apply) but instead it implies "you can get more information out of the minimap than you currently do".

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:40 am 

The way you use the mini-map is as follows: whenever you are doing nothing immediately important, literally any time when your focus doesn't 100% need to be on your character and your surroundings, glance at your mini-map. Just a quick 8th of a second peak, and mentally jot where your enemies are. Never stare at it, just take a peak and plan accordingly.

There's nothing "crutch" about maintaining map awareness.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:22 pm 

I don't understand peopel thats ay that minimap isn't important.

Minimap is always important. (except in hectic teamfights)

It gives so much information and also helps you know how far you can extend without dying.

Competent minimap usage contributes to about 30-40% of whether you win a game or not.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.