Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: I'm back after 1 year to this game, what should I know?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:48 pm 

1. What character should I avoid? I mean who is OP (don't tell me game is balanced now) on this particular moment?
2. I'm gonna play with my cousin, what 2 characters are good for duo now? We both have no DLCs.
3. I mostly played Leon and Ayla. How good (or bad) are they now? Last time I played Leon was * and Ayla was OP.
4. Any changes I should know about? I saw there is experience level now. What is it about, and is there something more that I need to know before playing?
5. Is matchmaking fixed?
6. Is this game still peer 2 peer? I mean if I play with someone from Somalia or Alasca will they have 2 seconds delay like it was last time I played?

Thanks in advance. I shall bring salt.

Post subject: Re: I'm back after 1 year to this game, what should I know?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:41 pm 

1. You're not gonna like this answer, but the game is far more balanced than it's ever been. Top tier is probably Sentry, Rocco, and Ayla, but they're not overbearing. Although, a new patch just came out so the exact state of balance is sort of up in the air.

2. Anyone works. Just play who you like: it'll go fine.

3. Leon is meh, and as stated, Ayla is pretty good. Both are playable, although Ksenia is generally just a better Leon (but takes a bit more practice).

4. Not really. Damage and health now scale as the game goes on. It doesn't really impact that much, so you can mostly ignore XP. It does have a rubberbanding feature though, allowing you to make some comebacks that weren't possible before. There's also assists now, which are super-awesome and helpful. Also...

5. Matchmaking was completely overhauled. Instead of going directly into the first match the game finds, it instead puts everyone into one massive queue that ticks every five minutes, then sorts everyone into the best matches possible. They've also removed force starting, latejoins, Steam maintenance days, and have altered the way quitting works. If you rage quit, you'll be locked out of matchmaking for an amount of time. Thankfully, you'll be able to rejoin the game you left at any point, so if you D/C there's no fear of losing that game.

6. As stated, yes. It's not 100% perfect just due to the fact that the playerbase isn't very high, but it's far better.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:42 pm 

ksenia is absolutely not "a better leon", as leon's tongue alone makes both of them extremely different in utility due to leon's great initiation
leon is also pretty solid and isn't considered "meh" at all

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 pm 

ant wrote:
ksenia is absolutely not "a better leon", as leon's tongue alone makes both of them extremely different in utility due to leon's great initiation
leon is also pretty solid and isn't considered "meh" at all

^^^^^^
Leon works much better as a burst character whereas ksenia is better for sustained damage and she's better at chasing whereas leon is better for displacement and combos.

Semi-Official discord server (will be full official when i mail kewn some gold star stickers)
https://discord.gg/0yByU7DBHdJLagVU

Team Kewn Forever

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:47 pm 

Leon is not the killer he once was, nor is he terrible. That equals "meh" in my book. And I honestly consider Ksenia as able to engage and assassinate far better than Leon can. Leon is better at initiating, though.

And either way, I really doubt this guy's looking for advanced tactics, just general bleerp.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:01 am 

MurlocAggroB wrote:
1. You're not gonna like this answer, but the game is far more balanced than it's ever been. Top tier is probably Sentry, Rocco, and Ayla, but they're not overbearing. Although, a new patch just came out so the exact state of balance is sort of up in the air.

Haha no. It's far from balanced. The correct word is neutered.

Also Ksenia is what Leon was.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:24 pm 

Polot wrote:
I shall bring salt.

Man, apparently you don't have to. Everyone else has got you covered :aylaroll:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:49 pm 

How does exactly matchamking work? I played with 10-20h players against 10000h player. Every game is either easy win against <100h players with stats 0/8 or fast lose against premade +2000h with 0/10 mates in my team. Maybe 3 out of 42 games I played were kinda balanced.

How does leaderboards work now? I won 30/34 games and I was rank 7. No progress, still mostly playing with new players. Now I'm 33/42 and rank 6. I remember that on the season start all players had rank 5, few matches and you were playing in league 1-2 with people with similar skill/hour level.

So I guess now game let you play with first player that is willing to play and is not already in game right? xD And leaderboards are still broken as *.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02 pm 

Polot wrote:
How does exactly matchamking work? I played with 10-20h players against 10000h player. Every game is either easy win against <100h players with stats 0/8 or fast lose against premade +2000h with 0/10 mates in my team. Maybe 3 out of 42 games I played were kinda balanced.

How does leaderboards work now? I won 30/34 games and I was rank 7. No progress, still mostly playing with new players. Now I'm 33/42 and rank 6. I remember that on the season start all players had rank 5, few matches and you were playing in league 1-2 with people with similar skill/hour level.

So I guess now game let you play with first player that is willing to play and is not already in game right? xD And leaderboards are still broken as *.

matchmaking does what it did before, only by pooling players before making games... so it waits a bit, collects all the players waiting, and then sorts them into games

leagues were distributed to have less players in the highest of leagues, so 1 and 2 became smaller, the rest became a bit bigger (might have fudged up the leagues, but something like that)

you might be playing against low level smurf accounts if the premades are ridiculous in league 7

i believe (but don't quote) you get a gain limiter on the first bunch of games you play in the new system, so you can't rocket up through the leagues quickly until you've had a certain number of games under your belt

also prior to this, the league resets were not even close to balanced at all for the first like week or 2. mainly because everyone started at the same rating, so someone in league 5 and someone in league 2 were considered the same. A league 5 match could occur and boost one of them up to 4, and then you come along and face this boosted player, it would boost you even more since they're a league above you but still a bad player... anyways long story short, i'd often get back into league 2 quickly but have to deal with so many people that shouldn't have been there