Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Clunk explode options
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 am 

Xelrog wrote:
Clunk's too slow to be an initiator. If you want the slow on explode to help your teammates land their abilities, you would still need to drop in on enemies from above in order to get the initiation off... or get an initiation for your initiation, which defeats the purpose.

Nah, slow works much better when NOT dropping. Why would I waste all those slow frames while dropping? It's better as a way to catch people who get to close.

And building pure tank and cooldown on explode does work pretty well. Not 100% of the time, because no build should, but it works a lot better than you give it credit for.

Let's say I rush explode damage: If the situation allows, and the enemy is smart enough, then I can be stuck waiting all day for an opportunity to use my big explode. That's money, time, and opportunity wasted. In that situation, I'd rather have a cheaper, faster, safer explode. At the very least, it would allow me to nuke droids. That's really important, and the low cooldown lets me be ready to pop on the next team fight if I have to.

And I mean, ideally I'd love to have +explode damage every game, because that's awesome. But doesn't always work. I need alternatives for when the situation arises.

That's my two cents on your observations, anyway.

~~~

Back to the tactic at hand:

So, sacrificing explode damage really does hamper your damage output, as you say Xelrog. Therefor, I find it effective to compliment this explode row with Snare, Missile Damage, Fat Pete, and Salvo Value Pack. That's a huge amount of single-target damage. I lose some droid push on my AA row by skipping Frag Shells, but I make up for it by just popping explode on droids.

For my other two bite upgrades, I'd probably just take both damage upgrades to focus on the single-target strategy. But they're all good, honestly. Multi-bite works well for catching those tightly-grouped enemy teams, but it's riskier. Helps a lot if my team backs me up.

Round out with pills, and two utilities tailored to the matchup/map, and I've got myself a hell of a brawler/tank/pusher.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:39 am 

MajorPsych2 wrote:
Xelrog wrote:
Clunk's too slow to be an initiator. If you want the slow on explode to help your teammates land their abilities, you would still need to drop in on enemies from above in order to get the initiation off... or get an initiation for your initiation, which defeats the purpose.

Nah, slow works much better when NOT dropping. Why would I waste all those slow frames while dropping? It's better as a way to catch people who get to close.

You're basing your strategy on the opponents doing something stupid. That is, actually approaching Clunk when he's off cooldown without baiting him. Without that rather massive misstep, there's no way for Clunk to make something happen himself. He's just too slow, horizontally.

Now, granted, I haven't tried his new 8% speed increase yet, and my previous post was made before that change was added.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 pm 

If there's one thing you can count on, Xelrog, it's that people are gonna be stupid sometimes. A huge part of any game is waiting for your opponent to make a mistake, which happens to even the best players.

But some characters don't even have a choice in the matter vs clunk: they HAVE to get close to deal damage. Rocco and Gnaw can be shut down hard by slow because of their lack of escape options. And I'm finding that slow can punish Dizzys who try to dash through you, as it limits the length of her dash.

But against whoever, slow works best in combination with snare.

Regarding enemies only engaging when explode is on cooldown: that's partly where OP's fastsplode tank build shines :)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 pm 

Doppelganger wrote:
to retain the aspect of "never kick me out of lane" replace one bite dmg upgrade with multihose.

PRAISE multihose! :chew:

Restless Frager wrote:
No, you're a manly girl, that's why I like you.