Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Some lesser known Derpl tricks/mechanics
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 pm 

I started a Derpl guide way back and I cba finishing it rn, so until I get around to finishing it, I wanted to post some of the Derpl mechanics that I was writing about that made me go "I wonder if anybody else knows about that".

Sorona Desiege lip bounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVJPzGAmFM

This one is tricky to pull off, but you can do a lip bounce from the top of the bouncer by using siege mode's CC immunity to drop through the bouncer to the position you lip bounce from the side. You must be sieged above the edge of the bouncer for this to work, if your too close to the wall this wont work. This lets you be much more reckless when nuke dropping this area, giving you a much better escape route than just taking the bouncer or doing a lip bounce the long way around.

Sieging mid-bouncer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOy6-MtyQM

Since you can't move left or right, you cannot control your bouncer path after sieging, but you can before you siege! This is mainly useful on sorona, if you siege instantly after taking the bouncer you go straight to the creep area every time. However after taking the bouncer, holding down movement keys and delaying the siege can alter your trajectory letting you do some really cool midair plays.

Special CC immunity interactions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-H2ly6DxA

Most people are probably aware of anchor drop and gaze, but what most people don't know is that the 0.3sec siege transform state has different rules from when you are fully in siege mode. During the transform you have normal CC immunity, giving you immunity to standard CCs such as stun/slow/snare/silence etc, as well as instantly breaking tethers and gaze. Only whilst you are fully transformed into siege mode do you get the immunity to gravity and the inability to be swapped.

Pre-transform CC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBp-dC5T7c

Some may know of this one, but CC immunity does not clense existing CC. Thus if you siege whilst snared, you cannot drop down in siege mode until the snare wears off. If you are blinded you stay blinded etc. One of the most interesting ones is that if you siege after getting hit by a powerful knockback you retain the knockback momentum.

Floor nukes:

The if the center of the nuke collides with a ceiling or floor (but not a wall) it sticks to it and doesn't move until detonated. There's a ton of zoning/waveclear techs you can do with this such as placing it at the foot of an enemy turret or in the path of droids, but these are already pretty well known nowerdays. I just wanted to say that I'm going to call doing this a "floor nuke", since it's relivant to the next 2 sections.

Foot nukes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRgDbBMtUA

If you start charging nuke and then desiege just before the nuke fires, it will fire from the bottom of Derpl's sprite rather than from his center. The timing on this is extremely forgiving, so long as the nuke is fired during the 0.3sec desiege animation, it will fire from your feet. Futhermore, if your aiming nuke downwards whilst on solid ground, the nuke will become a floor nuke upon firing. This trick has 2 main uses, firstly it can use to react to what the enemy team is doing and change a long ranged nuke into a floor nuke. Secondly it can be used to stop pesky frogs dashing through you as nuke spawns to instantly detonate it; they'll miss the center if it spawns at your feet.

Invun frame/shield baiting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQEh_bfrWg0

(Note: Human players will normally I-Frame expecting the nuke to be detonated instantly, this is the best I could get the frog bot to mimic that.)
Using a floor nuke, you can mindgame I-frames and hold nuke until after the I-frame ends then detonate it. This lets you nuke a trapped Ix/Frog without silence. Also, when paired with size nuke, Ix struggles to escape the nuke radius before refract ends. This trick can also be used against shields like Jimmy's charge and Sentry's BHS, although you need maxed snared duration.

Sieging fatcat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U3Iq2wwd7M

Sieging as you fire your AA cancels your normal cat AA and causes your fatcat to spawn at your feet. The timing is tricky (frame perfect) and it's not very useful but it can very, very occasionally get you a kill, since the fatcat travels pretty fast and far along a floor.

Deployment pads bouncer manipulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR6AGxkDrQc

Pads has a 0.2sec delay after you desiege before it procs. Thus if your sitting ontop of a bouncer such as soronas or ribbit's middle bouncer, you have a choice in where you can spawn deployment pads. You can either desiege immediately after dropping through the glass platform, in which case it spawns at the bouncer OR you can wait until Derpl's sprite hits the bouncer and then desiege, in which case pads spawns 0.2sec into the bouncer path. Technically you can do partial versions of this and spawn pads 0.2sec into the bouncer path, but the timing is tricky and the 2 cases shown are normally the ones you want anyways.

┌ᾮ┘ wrote:
Very good changes to Max, you've taken modest compromise approach to balance many of his upgrades, which is probably the most reasonable thing to do.

Post subject: Re: Some lesser known Derpl tricks/mechanics
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
I like these threads because they allow me to gauge how much I understand some of the 'Nauts.

Then I realise that—sans Youtube clips—I have literally no idea what any of this is.

Still, useful stuff.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:14 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I like these threads because they allow me to gauge how much I understand some of the 'Nauts.

Then I realise that—sans Youtube clips—I have literally no idea what any of this is.

Still, useful stuff.

It's because you're relatively new to this game. Don't worry, it comes with time.

Cool tricks, Tom. I stomp as Derpl just playing him the good old fashioned way, but this is good stuff.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:45 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
It's because you're relatively new to this game. Don't worry, it comes with time.

Cool tricks, Tom. I stomp as Derpl just playing him the good old fashioned way, but this is good stuff.

Well, I mean, it is more to do with not playing Derpl.

Like, at all.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm 

Thanks for sharing Tom.