Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Sentry teleport beacon rework
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 pm 

I know sentry's beacon doesn't need a rework right now, but I'd just like to share my thoughts. Please tell me why I'm wrong. :CocoWink:

Currently teleport beacon is used for either instant burst damage, or a temporary buff (teleburst vs telebuff). I don't think I've ever seen someone leave a beacon somewhere tactically except to give visibility or backstab a base (or for launch pad tricks I guess). This is because teleport double tap offers a whole lot of power very easily. It also gets shut down by pretty much any naut with dot, because it disables your teleport.

No other naut gets half their kit silenced for 2 seconds whenever they take damage, and no other naut uses half their kit in a way completely different from intended purposes. These are both problems. I have a couple changes I think might be interesting.

• Add a 2 second cooldown before you can teleport to a placed beacon.
  • Teleport is no longer prevented when you take damage.
  • 5 seconds after teleporting, sentry is automatically teleported back to their origin, unless silenced or stunned at that moment.
  • The return teleport can be activated manually at any point during those 5 seconds, unless silenced or stunned when the button is pressed.

These changes kill off the double-tap opportunity, but in return offer a legitimate tactical benefit and drawback to teleport. Place the beacon in your shop for 5 seconds of healing/spending mid-fight. Place it in enemy territory for an opportunity to deliver a quick strike with a solid safety valve. Place it mid-fight or at the start of a team fight so that in 2 seconds you have extra tactical teleport juke options.

Playing against sentry, you no longer have to fear instant massive aoe burst damage, but you'll have to play around the location of the beacon and what opportunities it offers your enemy. When you see him teleport, you can camp that spot for 5 seconds and prepare a gank on the returning sentry.

I know there's a good reason this rework wouldn't work. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Sentry teleport beacon rework
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:11 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
redria7 wrote:
...I know there's a good reason this rework wouldn't work. Any thoughts?

Found it:

redria7 wrote:
I know sentry's beacon doesn't need a rework right now...

In all seriousness, I do not like the idea of Sentry having a free get-out-of-jail-free card for a whole five seconds of shop healing whenever he so chooses, on top of having a strong enough shield, theoretically one of the best CC effects in the game, and a very powerful zoning AA.

Although I would be all for making it a more interesting ability, I do not think this is it—I do not even think the Sentry mains want it changed, either. That might make things harder.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 am 

Pretty bad, would kill any and all synergy between his two abilities.

*teleports in* here i am guys, gonna toss a black hole on the enemies real qui--
*teleports back* aw shucks

main: :think:
second: :clap:
occasionally also play: :worship: :sleep: :scoop: :GnawShock: :rocco: :thumb:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:19 am 

i don't think a rework is necessary, and even then i wouldn't be keen after the ted/yuri betas. problem is 99% of sentry players put little to no effort into playing him, and just build aa spam and hold onto empty black holes forever, making him infuriatingly unapproachable and unfun to play against. my suggestions would be:

- nerf the dumb aa spam into the ground
- make him unable to hold onto bhs forever
- shorter bhs duration so it's less broken in stacks
- maybe nerf teleburst a bit, it's become really strong again (but don't break the decoy again pls)

he's still pretty fast with nvs + boots, but i also think it can encourage a more active playstyle, idk.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 pm 

I don't know about balance, but until this disgusting Sentry meta dies, solo queue is never going to be fun. It's the entire reason I've stopped playing recently.

my brain at 1:23am is a horse riding aa human as large as a t-rex with machine guns.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm 

Sryder13 wrote:
I don't know about balance, but until this disgusting Sentry meta dies, solo queue is never going to be fun. It's the entire reason I've stopped playing recently.

Yeah, I've been playing a lot more Dota 2 recently. Dota 2 has actually managed to improve itself balance-wise in recent patches (no more invisible Broodmother, diffusal no longer purging buffs like repel, abyssal blade damage nerfs, etc.). Awesomenauts will always have the potential to be a more action-packed and generally more fun-dense experience, but said fun-density drops precipitously when outstanding balance problems are ignored and left to fester for patches and patches on end.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 am 

You'll get no support on any teleport changes because Sentry mains will defend teleburst or any form of teleport as a damage source. BHS should only get kills if your teammates are there, BHS doesn't need to work with teleport, unless though a well placed BHS. Teleport should be used as an area denial or escape, instead its seen as free damage/silence and Sentry mains will defend anything about it. Teleport just needs a 1 to 1.5 lockout.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:43 am 

The first thing that needs to go is the
2 SECOND SILENCE THAT HE HAS FOR NO REASON
Seriously, sentry would be waaaaaaaaaaay more approachable if he didn't have this broken upgrade that applies the best silence in the game next Ksenia and Vinnie. Actually let's look other characters that have the CC.

Leon: 1.2 seconds 270 solar
Ksenia: increases silence by 1 second for a total of 2 seconds: 300 solar
Penny: .25 seconds per charge to a max of 1 second: 200 solar
Derpl: lasts the duration of snare: 180 solar
Vinnie: 1 second: 175 solar (shouldn't have it either but that's a whole other can of worms)
And what wallet-breakin', JAW-DROPPIN', MONEY-STEALIN' of a deal does Sentry have to get for this GRAND CHERRY ON TOP of his gamebreaking kit?

165 solar.

So not only does he have the highest amount of silence that he can get out of the gate, but also the cheapest. How the hell has this thing not been nerfed to the ground is a question that will go on for the rest of this game's lifecycle. I also like how there are currently no changes to him in the beta meaning we have to endure more of this bullsh*t stale, unfun, stall f**kfest of a meta. And god help you if he has a Raelynn/Skree/Gnaw (or any combo of two of them) to make the game EVEN MORE of a stallfest for when you can actually play the game.

This post probably belongs in the Anger Managment Thread at this point so I'm going to stop before my brain gets a 2 hour long aneurysm for the next 165 days.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:45 am 

Mucha Lucha wrote:
The first thing that needs to go is the
2 SECOND SILENCE THAT HE HAS FOR NO REASON
Seriously, sentry would be waaaaaaaaaaay more approachable if he didn't have this broken upgrade that applies the best silence in the game next Ksenia and Vinnie. Actually let's look other characters that have the CC.

Leon: 1.2 seconds 270 solar
Ksenia: increases silence by 1 second for a total of 2 seconds: 300 solar
Penny: .25 seconds per charge to a max of 1 second: 200 solar
Derpl: lasts the duration of snare: 180 solar
Vinnie: 1 second: 175 solar (shouldn't have it either but that's a whole other can of worms)
And what wallet-breakin', JAW-DROPPIN', MONEY-STEALIN' of a deal does Sentry have to get for this GRAND CHERRY ON TOP of his gamebreaking kit?

165 solar.

So not only does he have the highest amount of silence that he can get out of the gate, but also the cheapest. How the hell has this thing not been nerfed to the ground is a question that will go on for the rest of this game's lifecycle. I also like how there are currently no changes to him in the beta meaning we have to endure more of this bullsh*t stale, unfun, stall f**kfest of a meta. And god help you if he has a Raelynn/Skree/Gnaw (or any combo of two of them) to make the game EVEN MORE of a stallfest for when you can actually play the game.

This post probably belongs in the Anger Managment Thread at this point so I'm going to stop before my brain gets a 2 hour long aneurysm for the next 165 days.

Answer is simple really. Silence duration is way too long because black hole sun duration is way too long. The whole purpose of silence is to make the hole reliable. Use it on potentional escapers and get the end damage reliably. By design a good upgrade that lets him deal a bit better with his worst matchups

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 am 

BHS duration from 2s to 1s.
Shield duration from 2s to 1s.
Silence duration from 2s to 1s.

ez fixes

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.