Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Individual XP instead of global XP
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:33 am 

I'd like to go back to the XP problem for a second. I'm way less of a theorycrafter than you guys are, so don't expect 100% accurate arguments here ; but nevertheless I think it's worth discussing about it.

Thanks to rubberbanding, we've seen more comebacks since the XP update kicked in, which is a good thing.

However, the bad is that it seriously hampers individual performance ; in a winning situation, someone who dies often can bring the whole team down, because he will give rubberbanded XP to every single person in the enemy team. That's because since the XP is global, it's assumed he has the same level than all the other players of his team ; so in a situation where 2 players carry a third one, the 3rd one deaths will get some heavy penalty for the 2 carry players.

Now what if instead of team-based XP, we had individual XP? Here is what would happen when you kill someone :
  • The one who gets the kill gets the most base XP
  • All those who assisted him gets e.g. half the base XP
  • All the others get e.g. quarter the base XP

The base XP here would be proportionnal to the level of the one you killed.

In addition, a rubberbanding multiplier would be applied based on the difference between your level and the level of the one you killed.

All in all, the formula would look something like :
XP gain = rubberbanding(|your level - enemy level|) * kill-assist-none * base(enemy level)
where rubberbanding is a multiplier, kill-assist-none is another multiplier as described above, and base is the base XP you get depending on the enemy level.

I feel like it would have the best of both worlds: get some rubberbanding to allow comebacks, but also keep the individuality so that a carry doesn't feel too much "brought down" by a feeder.

As for the levels of turrets and droids, nothing would change - we could have the same mechanism we already have (global contribution). In terms of UI, the droid/turret level would be displayed near the turrets and at the core - the player level would be displayed like in the older versions of Awesomenauts.

The only con is that who gets the kill would be important. I can hear already the brand new "KS" in the chat. That's most certainly a non negligible issue.

What are your thoughts about it?

Last edited by potterman28wxcv on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Individual XP instead of global XP
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am 

"However, the bad is that it completely annihilates individual performance"

Overblown exaggerations like this always make it hard for me to take rest of the arguments seriously. :huh:

But, your rubberbanding theory makes sense from the point of the winning side I suppose. winners can be rubberbanded down too easily just because the weakest link in the team happens to die. I have never paid attention in game whether this was the reason why the losing side made a sudden comeback though. I kinda doubt it, the few % of health you get usually are not the deciding factor between win and lose and comeback means that the losers started to do something better overall rather than just get 1-2 weakest link kills to rubbedband themselves back in game.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:29 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
"However, the bad is that it completely annihilates individual performance"

Overblown exaggerations like this always make it hard for me to take rest of the arguments seriously. :huh:

Fixed

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:33 pm 

Sounds interesting. It would be nice if the devs were to use brawls as a tool to experiment with suggestions such as this one.