Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: My Crackpot Ideas for Qi'Tara
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 am 

I wanted to keep this separate from my previous post because it is concerned with improvements to Qi'Tara rather than why she needs them in the first place. This is also of a much less serious tone, as these are just ideas I am throwing out there to see which ones people like and dislike. Note that I have been influenced a little by others and what they have said.

The overarching idea is to transform Qi'Tara into an assassin with a specific target to hunt and kill. There are some offshoot ideas that tickled my mind, and most of the ideas can be cut from the rest and implemented into Qi'Tara as she currently is.

The first idea is to transform the Chakram Shift into a marking ability. This would require bringing back the slowing effect in some form, whether that be on base, through an upgrade, or both. Transferring the amplification to the marking would also be on the agenda. A more unique idea would be to give the target slower cooldown recharge times, the opposite of Rocket's Card with a Kiss upgrade. The purpose of this would be to limit easy escapes while also making it more difficult to camp as the target of a shift, ready to stun and lockdown incoming Qi'Tara's immediately. The more straightforward way of doing this would be to give Qi'Tara cc immunity either after shifting or during 7SS. Another outlandish idea is to create a knockback stun pulse similar to Derpl's Deployment Pads centered at the target that affects the target's allies when teleporting to the target. The motivation here is to give Qi'Tara enough time to kill her target before allies can effectively shut her down.

However much Ronimo likes stacking DoT, simple damage makes more sense on an assassin character. As I discussed in my previous post, Ronimo really likes forcing assassins to use their melee auto-attacks, and I think there is a way to preserve that while also giving her a marking character. Some have suggested that using Chakram Shift (or some other method) would immediately consume all DoT effects immediately, dealing damage to the targets affected. However, to go one step further, simply being able to stack permanent marks on your enemy would remove the absolute necessity of saving your Chakram Shift to consume the DoT. Of course a cap would be placed on how many marks could be placed on an opponent, probably four or five, and a lot of new and interesting upgrades could spring from this enemy-aa-marking system. You could do more damage to fully marked enemies, or perhaps add back stacking poison but only vs fully marked enemies. You could have increased regen based on how many total marks you have between enemy nauts. You could add a permanent weaken effect, but the aa marks can be cleared by going back to shop. With this system, Chakram Shift would mostly serve as a finisher, but could still be used for initiation if marks had been saved up from previous fights.

And last and also least, Seven Star Strike, an ability that is a less fun to use tornado. Without the dash-stun-tornado combo, she can't reliably get any hits on her opponents. If she were to always have the semi-ranged attack she can get with upgrades right now, it would make it a much more fun ability to use. Keeping her animations and the foundation of the character intact, the increased attack speed could actually prove useful in combination the aa-marking system mentioned above. She could have upgrades such as consuming all marks around her at the end of 7SS (which probably would end up as basically twister tweeters), or make the first enemy she hits during 7SS receive extra damage from the rest of the 7SS attacks ("love at first sight" or something). Unfortunately, Qi'Tara can easily get bursted down during 7SS just like other assassins. Froggy and nibbs resolve this with damage reduction/rbay, while ksenia keeps her attacks at range. Qi'Tara has neither, but she could pull together some sort of defense with the semi-range and lifesteal. Another proposal on the more wacky side of things is giving enemies either slow or weaken (I feel like weaken fits her character and her theme quite well, so she could have it on all of her abilities like skree has slow) the more damage they do to her, or the more damage she does to them during 7SS.

So that is the end of ideas aimed at giving Qi'Tara an identity and somewhat of an overhaul. What continues is a couple changes that just seem fun to me.

Currently Qi'Tara is an assassin that is remarkably predictable. While other assassins have stealth to remain unpredictable, you always know exactly where Qi'Tara is going to pop up, and when she's going to do it. If she doesn't decide to teleport to you, she wasted her cooldown (is her cooldown is increased by however long it stays on target?), so it is always worth it to hold on to your stun or lockdown ability for the few seconds you are marked to make sure she will pay the price for teleporting. The simpler way of improving this is to give her the equivalent of the nibbs cooldown orb reset, making her not lose her cooldown (or a significantly reduced cooldown) if she doesn't teleport to you. This would be far more potent on Chakram Shift than on Orb of Omicron because the Chakram stays on the target and deals a little damage even if she doesn't teleport. If you really wanted to, you could give it to Qi'Tara on base. (On Nibbs it is garbage and should be removed from her row) The more interesting, yet slightly more frustrating and less noob friendly is to make the Chakram Shift ability entirely invisible to enemies. This would completely destroy all marking upgrades because it would defeat the point of invisibility. However, the thought still tickles me. Targets of the Chakram Shift would only be able to predict with probabilities whether they are currently marked, based on how recently they were close to Qi'Tara, and how close they had gotten to her. You could make it extremely easy to hit at close range but much more difficult to hit at long range (even vs unaware enemies) to give her a tradeoff of reliability and uppredictability.

Finally, I would like to discuss the Renegade Walky Talky. Of all the renegades that it has been tried out on (and arguably all characters), it fits her the most, as she could use it in tandem with Chakram Shift as a teleport beacon style of healing. However, I would change it by either a) increasing the percentage a fair bit or b) remove the condition of being near friendly nauts. Case a) would be to promote the healing strategy method above and b) would be to make it useful in pretty much any other scenario. If you need to teleport home quick, you usually aren't near friendly nauts, because if you are, they'll just protect you until you have successfully teleported. Since Qi'Tara can get herself in some pretty sticky situations (can't blink back because of silence or stun), a teleport upgrade could actually be sometimes worth buying on her. It just needs to be changed slightly.

So, what do you think of these hare-brained ideas? Do you have any of your own that you could add to the list? Thoughts on making Qi'Tara a mark-type assassin (even though Chucho is supposed to be the bounty hunter)?

Post subject: Re: My Crackpot Ideas for Qi'Tara
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:23 am 

I'd say changing an ability too much is out of the question with the music being released. Ronimo really wants the teleporting it seems, plus shift is a pretty fun ability right now, being able to burst in and out after a few attacks. The main problem for me is the fact the DoT is over 6.5 seconds... it should be 5 at most. You shouldn't wait for people to die, they should die. Maybe even less than 5 to make the stacking poison less apparent.

I always though her aa should be coco hands while in SSS, so you can effectively track them with your attacks, but I do believe once they work out the kinks with the aa (I would suggest making the damage multitarget but poison single).
The teleport thing could be very interesting to escape, as people do similar things on AI station, but I would prefer wraith stone or barrier

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:14 am 

Quote:
I'd say changing an ability too much is out of the question with the music being released.

Unfortunately, this is the case. I was hoping for another beta before release, but it's looking like that's not going to happen. As a result, they are probably going to release her with a lot of untested changes, and she is going to be overpowered at first like every other naut. Also, I was never suggesting removing the teleport ability from Chakram, rather give it more utility than a gap closer. And since her aa is in such a horrible state, executing double shifts right next to your opponent is her only reliable damage output which even furthers the problem of her requiring to get close to her opponent before being able to do anything at all.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:32 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
EgyptFalcon wrote:
...she is going to be overpowered at first like every other naut...

Ksenia disagrees.

Qi'Tara is shaping up to be exactly like her, in fact.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 am 

I actually had a neat idea, what if you couldn't bypass turrets or teleport home while marked. This would let qitara always safely teleport to her target. I know this is yet another qitara buff on chakaram which it definitely doesn't need but it could be interesting.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
EgyptFalcon wrote:
...she is going to be overpowered at first like every other naut...

Ksenia disagrees.

Qi'Tara is shaping up to be exactly like her, in fact.

Ksenia was broken on release, it's just that only like 3 people could play with her release mechanics lol

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.