Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Writing game data to disk
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 pm 

Can this even be a thing on steam workshop? Speaking of writing the values of counters or such things to disk on a per person basis within your map. Starcraft 2 has banks files/folders for custom arcrade games for example. This allows you to save personalized high scores, xp/leveling, and whatever else. Even do pseudo matching by re-arranging teams using your own data

Post subject: Re: Writing game data to disk
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:28 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Technically something like this could be made. There could be an option to save counters from AI to the user's save folder and then have one such file per mod. That would make a very basic save system. I'm not quite sure how you could translate this into an actual highscore system though, since there's currently no way to show counters or lists of counters. I imagine you'd need a couple more features than just saving/loading counters to make this work. Do you have anything specific in mind that you're trying to achieve here?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm 

Joost wrote:
I imagine you'd need a couple more features than just saving/loading counters to make this work. Do you have anything specific in mind that you're trying to achieve here?

It would be amazing if we could use something like [COUNTER:counterName] to display a counter in fields like "textReplace1Replacement" in the playAnimation block because it would allows us to displays a lot of things (custom currency, timer, score, etc.) (this would allow me to remove something like 1200 blocks just for a 180 seconds timer :party: )

Also being able to save counter would be cool because it would allow us to track things like check point / custom settings / etc.

Replay finder

More tools here!

:tongue: :party:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:59 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Ah, I see, that's a nice solution. That would indeed open up a bunch of additional modding possibilities. :ayla:

I've added it to The Long List Of Things That Would Be Cool To Add To Modding (tm). I try to add some things from that list every major update, but it's a long list so I don't know whether I'll get around to this one.