Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: New features that will be in Update 4.4
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 pm 

Okay, new turret settings are amazing and the particle editor is super cool (even if it is a bit confusing, I'll try to create a page for it on the wiki when I will have the time)
Auto texture reloading and automatically selecting the right game preset are wonderful :party:

Could you explain why the max amount of particles isn't the same for all particles? I think it was set to 51 when I selected the default template but later I was stuck at 21 (which is not a lot of particles for what I wanted to do :GnawCry:)

Also is the "ownID" property that appeared on all levelObjects just an internal value used to tracks objects?

Replay finder

More tools here!

:tongue: :party:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Blatoy wrote:
... Could you explain why the max amount of particles isn't the same for all particles? I think it was set to 51 when I selected the default template but later I was stuck at 21 (which is not a lot of particles for what I wanted to do :GnawCry:) ...

I don't understand what you mean exactly. Can't you just change the max particles value? Or do you mean that it changes automatically?

Blatoy wrote:
... Also is the "ownID" property that appeared on all levelObjects just an internal value used to tracks objects?

Yeah for now it's just an internal thing, not something you can use for anything at the moment.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am 

Joost wrote:
Blatoy wrote:
... Could you explain why the max amount of particles isn't the same for all particles? I think it was set to 51 when I selected the default template but later I was stuck at 21 (which is not a lot of particles for what I wanted to do :GnawCry:) ...

I don't understand what you mean exactly. Can't you just change the max particles value? Or do you mean that it changes automatically?

I can change the value but there's an upper limit, and I think this limit does change (or maybe I was just tired, I'm going to recheck and update this post later)

Replay finder

More tools here!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:11 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Blatoy wrote:
... I can change the value but there's an upper limit, and I think this limit does change (or maybe I was just tired, I'm going to recheck and update this post later)

Unless I produced the weirdest bug the upper limit should always be the same and something high. I think 1000 or something like that.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 pm 

There's definitively a limit for the field "maxParticles" and it is (thanks Vmar) MaxParticles = Min(1000, Max lifetime per partical * Emit per second + 1)

Also we just have a few questions about the particle editor:
- Does "switchPoint" only affect minMidSize and maxMidSize?
- Is texture2 only intended to be used to apply gradient?
- What settings are ignored when IgnoreAdvancedEffectsSetting is ticked?

With that the wiki page will be almost complete :party:

Replay finder

More tools here!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

There's definitively a limit for the field "maxParticles" and it is (thanks Vmar) MaxParticles = Min(1000, Max lifetime per partical * Emit per second + 1)
Ah I didn't know I had made that limit, but it totally makes sense since it won't generate more particles than that anyway. :)

- Does "switchPoint" only affect minMidSize and maxMidSize?
Indeed.

- Is texture2 only intended to be used to apply gradient?
Yes. It combines with the main texture based on the lifetime of a particle. You can for example use this to recolour a particle (go from yellow fire to black smoke for example) or to fade particles in/out. The secondaryTextureOperation determines how texture1 and texture2 are combined.

- What settings are ignored when IgnoreAdvancedEffectsSetting is ticked?
This option also exists on Texture objects in the map editor. Normally objects with SCREEN_EFFECT blendModes are hidden when the user disables Advanced Effects in the settings menu. If this checkbox is enabled then this object will keep doing its effects even when the user has disabled this kind of effect. This is useful for cases where the effect has gameplay meaning, so the user needs to always see it. An example where this would be used is if we would make an invisible Leon distort the area behind him, so he would be slightly visible. Players should not be able to disable such an effect. However, I don't think we have any effect in the game right now that has this checkbox ticked.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Just made another fix. This is probably going to be the complete list of changes for 4.4 beta 2:

Quote:
-Buttons can now turn Particle objects on/off.
-Fixed that game crashed when letting a turret shoot Ted’s Airstrike.
-Fixed that space didn’t pause/unpause the game in the particle editor.
-Fixed that selection squares were shown over the map editor interface.
-Fixed that the particle option smoothTransition didn’t behave as intended.
-Fixed that it was possible to open the particle editor on a map without a mod if the settings did have a mod, causing particles to not be saved in that case (particle editor always requires a map that’s in a mod).
-Fixed that the particle editor didn’t save anything when used on older mods, because those didn’t have a particle folder yet.
-Fixed that in the particle editor setting a negative value for emitPerSecond / lifeTimeMax would crash the game.
-Fixed that the hideByButton option in Texture objects didn’t work if anything in the Texture was animated, and didn’t combine correctly with setting a colour on the Texture.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Beta 2 is live now, including these modding changes.