Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: CPU Mafia 2 Development
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:16 pm 

So I had this idea where the abilities and perks of the characters of a mafia game and be bought, sold, traded and obtained and throughout time, people will get stronger and stronger as the game progresses.

So for instance, the ability to heal people can be sold and traded to other players, and the money can be used to buy something else.

In development, there's going to be a third party market owned by me, and will absolutely scam you guys, or you can trade among players. Mafia members start with a leg up on people and have to try and blend in with being poor, while also killing people.

Unconfirmed, I had an idea that dead players, while being dead, can still influence market prices by still buying, selling and producing so losing every worker isn't the end of the game.

What do you think of this as an idea, and if you would think this would be cool, tell me what you think some common abilities are?

How much more valuable is a vigilante kill switch than a role block? etc.

Obviously this will take awhile, but I am planning to run this game 10. Tell me whatcha think. I'm definitely not asking for co-hosts at this time, don't bother, nor am I taking role suggestions, they will be ignored.

EDIT:

We gonna run game 11

Last edited by Wakkabanana on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Trading Mafia Development (Feedback Wanted)
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

The dead influencing the game, while an interesting proposal, has always lead to some rather OP or inconveniences for both town and non-town roles. Giving them the ability to directly influence the available power ups floating around (How can they even have currency anyways?) sounds to me like it would drastically affect the gameplay, and not in a good way. Especially if it turns into a freaking bid war over what faction can buy what.

If I wanted to see horrible sales practices, I'd watch Storage Wars.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 pm 

Mr. L wrote:
The dead influencing the game, while an interesting proposal, has always lead to some rather OP or inconveniences for both town and non-town roles. Giving them the ability to directly influence the available power ups floating around (How can they even have currency anyways?) sounds to me like it would drastically affect the gameplay, and not in a good way. Especially if it turns into a freaking bid war over what faction can buy what.

If I wanted to see horrible sales practices, I'd watch Storage Wars.

I can agree with that actually, someone can be super vengeful and just try and grief. I was just more thinking them producing stuff to just have on a general market, and yea you could be right about them just giving things away they probably shouldn't and refusing things they should. Dead should be dead and I can see that arguement.

Anyone else rebuttal?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:48 pm 

That's an actual good idea.

I always thought while playing Town of Salem that medium has bigger potential, but it's just not realized.

So yeah I actually look forward to this.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:39 pm 

See, what you risk having is town making an OP20 townie while leaving one person as Doctor or Bodyguard to defend the OP20 townie, and then just winning because they have a Veteran Investigator Jailor Vigilante Commuter Lookout Bus Driver who can't die.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:22 pm 

GuyBrush wrote:
See, what you risk having is town making an OP20 townie while leaving one person as Doctor or Bodyguard to defend the OP20 townie, and then just winning because they have a Veteran Investigator Jailor Vigilante Commuter Lookout Bus Driver who can't die.

Trades are public and everything has a counter. Just because you have 2 medics doesn't mean the situation is hopeless for mafia. There's a thing called strongmen for a reason. That and I pick and chose my abilities carefully.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:21 am 

Now I'm in the part where I can't really tell you what I'm working on anymore.
I wish I could say more.
Mostly it's finishing designs, and play testing with random testings.

Also,
I am wanting to host this summer rather than spring, I'd want more people here so the idea isn't easily squandered on 15ish people when I could get more over the summer when people aren't in school. So you nerds studying, don't worry about missing this.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:52 am 

Wakkabanana wrote:
I'm definitely not asking for co-hosts at this time, don't bother, nor am I taking role suggestions, they will be ignored.

yeah but read this tho.
We wanted to do a system like this for mafianauts 2. We eneded up scrapping it. but we where going to base it off of the game that I just linked you.

Tell me if this helps you or not :) Everything you need is on the first couple of posts :D

Reifiui wrote:
Catti is the forumer that we need, but don't deserve

I'm open to art Commissions!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:05 am 

catgame21234 wrote:
Wakkabanana wrote:

Tell me if this helps you or not :) Everything you need is on the first couple of posts :D

Helps to know this was done, will read to learn mistakes and benefits from this. Not roles or mechanics, as far as I'm concerned, those are getting refined.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:29 am 

I will say, I considered an auction system, but I scrapped it for five good reasons.

1: Hard to moderate.

As fast as I was, I'm not always going to be there, and most of us are EU, only makes my job harder.

2: Snowballing

If town gets a lead, they can easily just dish out large sums of money into it and win, same with mafia.

3: Money loses weight.

When you dish out all your money for something, you essentially just had a one shot ability, and money didn't matter to you all game except that one moment. I wanted trading, not an auction house.

4: Too uninteractive ability wise.

You're not guaranteed anything auction-wise. So it's very possible too have a good chunk of people not being able to do anything because they can't do anything without shelling out. And when they do, now they're very guaranteed to do nothing.

5: Complicated.

Have you read the rules of that game? Lol. I had to remind people what encryptions were and they were beyond some players to the point, half of the people didn't bother, and rightfully so.

==============================
Instead, I can reveal what I have in store. (pun).

And that's just a simple store headed by me. You get a couple choices, some amount of stock, and every day, items get shuffled.

Now, you can pay with in game money, or in game material items that can reduce cost.

EX: Item 1
Does: Things and Stuff

Cost: 10 coins
OR
Cost: 1 material A and 1 material B

Why?
Because people make materials in my game, and now I don't need to give everyone large sums of money and people are more wanted and dependable based on what they make.

I wanted co-operation from town, not monopolization. Town essentially have to rely on each other and trade often. It's beneficial to both parties, and the group, and it's what is strictly speaking, the optimal strategy. Materials A and B cost way less than 10 coins, but it's a matter of trust and fear of "Do I want to reveal I can make material A because I think mafia will start murdering me then." I feel it's more dynamic and interesting than just a money system where people just build their own characters like a single player game.

Also, I was wanting to make mafia to mafia only trades the only one private, to further prevent monopolization of a possible super god town, and mafia are strictly limited by [Secret].