Recently I've played a bunch of games against a player who is using a cheat or a set of cheats. It may be impossible to prevent this person from playing, but we can still recognize a game in which the cheat is being used. Here are some of the qualities of the cheat.
- Unit / spell / tech cooldown and build times are reduced to zero for both players. You can recognize that the cheat is being used if you can make a second worker immediately after your first. This allows for large stacks of units to be made at once, and for spells to be repeated quickly.
- The cheating player can give themselves gold and mana. This is clear because they can unleash a limitless string of units from their base, taking advantage of the zero cooldown time. This seems to give gold to the non-cheating player, but I have never seen it give mana as well.
- The cheating player can toggle the cooldown part of the cheat if they believe it will benefit the non-cheater more at the time.
- The cheat may give the cheating player full view of the map, but I am not sure of this. My evidence is that the player occasionally made buildings far from where I thought they had vision.
- The name of this particular cheating player does not seem to be a Steam ID. Maybe this is not a cheat, and is just a part of the way Steam / S&S works that I don't understand.
The games I have played against this player have been interesting, and the cheats make it a much different game. The player will usually play a "balanced" game for a few minutes before unleashing a nonstop stream of sun giants / catapults and spamming thor's hammer / boulder. If it weren't for this part, I would even go so far as to suggest a "no cooldown" mode for legit S&S!
Post subject: Re: No Cooldown Cheat
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Ronimo Team Member
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm Posts: 3958
Meh, cheaters in our game is just too lame... Sorry to hear this.