Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: Re: Swords & Soldiers: The Unofficial Strategy Guide
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:14 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Wow, I hadn't realized how much work it must be to get all these numbers by experimenting, impressive! :)

Once the PC version has launched you can check the exact numbers of the new versions in one of the files. :)

Post subject: Re: Swords & Soldiers: The Unofficial Strategy Guide
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:41 pm 

Hey guys,

I do really enjoy the strategy guide. What I enjoyed the most was the dart blower/necromancer combo I found which is a lot like mine. I would like to share my (extensive) strategy with you in the following post (perhaps you will find it useful)
(please credit me if copy/pasting)

Jantjesnot’s Aztec Strategy:
As soon as you start out the game, get an extra worker, and research dart blower & cage. Keep churning out workers while the researches are running. Once the dart blowers have been researched, get ONE, and keep getting more workers. Eventually you will encounter an enemy. Cage him (this spell should be exactly charged by now) for a guaranteed kill. Get some more dart blowers (perhaps five) in between villagers, but keep focusing on your economy. Once you have 10 workers, SPAM your dart blowers (keep using the cage spell at strategic moments). This should at least stop the enemy from advancing. You will get more gold than you spend, because dart blowers are so cheap. While spamming dart blowers, research poison bomb once you can, once that is done research statues. Build a statue on the farthest possible spot (don’t overstretch yourself – these towers are too expensive to waste!). After this, research the necromancers. Spam more dart blowers. Once the necromancer is available, get two or three necromancers. Now all your killed dart blowers (and there will be a LOT of killed dart blowers) will form your infantry. For the rest of the battle, keep spamming dart blowers and send in necromancers as and when they are needed.
Now, if the base is not already destroyed, the strategy becomes a bit more free, and depends on your enemy’s strategy.
Research jaguar warriors if you are facing a lot of ranged units, and spam them along with your dart blowers, or research sacrifice and convert your unused gold to mana for your poison bomb by getting sun giants and sacrificing them. Or, if the enemy is not using ranged units, punish them by sending sun giants into battle.
The minute a new tower spot is available and safe, get another tower. This helps you secure your advance and it creates skeletons for your necromancers.
As a final blow to your enemy, you can use poison bomb on their workers to slow and kill them, crippling your enemy’s economy.
Once you are at your enemy’s castle, set up a cage in front of their door to stop any last minute sun giants or rocketeers to rain on your parade.

Strategy Explanation:
This strategy for the most part relies on the underestimated dart blowers. They are the cheapest units in the game, but are also the strongest ones when stacked and provided with some infantry to cover them. That is why I spam them the entire game. As I quickly found out while playing the game, the player who is the first to get 10 villagers and keep them alive nearly always wins by simply out producing his enemy. Therefore, this strategy is based on a minimal defence in the first few minutes of the game (dart blowers and cages is all you use) which is compensated by an incredibly fast economic build-up. The next thing that makes this strategy possible is that 10 villagers produce more gold than you spend spamming dart blowers. Therefore, you can spam them while researching! In the next stage of the strategy, you add the power of the awesome statues to your forces. Statues OWN, and no Aztec player should ever go without them. For the final blow, necromancers turn the one weakness of dart blowers – their low health – into an advantage, as this allows necromancers to summon a huge amount of skeletons.

P.S.
to round out this post, I would like to share some general strategy tips for Aztec Players:
• NEVER EVER use a boulder unless your enemy has no towers left (or if you’re about to lose). The reason for this is that you will kill some of your own workers, but none of your enemy’s, putting you behind in the production battle.
• Sun Giants are cool, but if your enemy uses even a minimal amount of ranged units, they will be slaughtered. This is expensive. Only use Sun Giants for mana supply unless you are absolutely sure that they will kill enough to justify their high price.
• Jaguar warriors are no good versus the berserkers and swordsmen. Only use them against ranged units.

Well… that seems to be all. Hope this helps! Also, if anyone finds a decent counterstrategy for this one, I would like to know. The closest anyone came was with using jaguar warriors in the early game, but I have yet to be defeated using this strategy versus humans.

Greetz everyone,
Jantjesnot

Post subject: Re: Swords & Soldiers: The Unofficial Strategy Guide [REVISED]
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 pm 

UPDATE: With the release of the PS3 version almost upon us, I decided to update this guide with the stats featured in these new versions. In addition, I've gone back and corrected the stats so that they are precise and accurate instead of estimated guesses. This guide now reflects the stats for the PS3 and Wii versions of the game.

I've also removed my general descriptions for the factions as well as the strategies I posted. I'm pleased with the individual unit descriptions, so I'm keeping those (with a few minor tweaks).

Once the game is publicly released on PS3, I'll be able to re-evaluate the factions and come up with new strategies in light of the balance changes. For now, I encourage you to post your own strategies/counter-strategies, like the great Aztec strategy Jantjesnot posted :monkey:

Enjoy!

Last edited by JWL1986 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:24 am 

UPDATE:

• Fixed the Sacrifce, Mind Control and Ying Yang Mana Charts to reflect the values of the PS3 version.

• Added the Mana Cost of casting Mind Control on Olgas/Workers/Monks and Terracotta Warriors

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:30 pm 

Wow JWL1986, this is incredibly comprehensive; the descriptions are too great to miss!

Wanted to share one thought after reading Jantjesnot's guide, if possible, I'd include notations on which race your strategy works against, more often than not.

For example vs Chinese, you'll find that 1 Swordy quite easily takes out 1-2 Darts... they reflect poison even in cages!. I love the Necro build as well, especially since it gets you early game Voodoo, but I typically get stomped by a clean Sword/Stone or Berserker/Heal rush. Side note, Jaguars also lead up to towers and make quick work of caged victims.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 pm 

I find that my best Viking vs Aztec strategy (on a small map) is as follows:

-Start with a gold worker and begin researching lightning.
-As lightning researches purchase another gold worker.
-Once lightning finishes purchase a final worker, bringing you up to 4, then begin researching Frost Hammers.
-While waiting for Frost Hammer to upgrade you will most likely encounter either 2 Jaguar Warriors or 2 Dart Blowers. Thankfully both are killed in one hit with lightning, and you will have enough mana for exactly 2 lightning strikes.
-As soon as Frost Hammers are available, begin pumping them out. the first Frost Hammer should encounter the third Aztec unit just before they reach your gold line.
-If the Aztec unit composition favors Dart Blowers, upgrade Rage as soon as you have a chance to move your Frost Hammers up far enough to fight before dying of poison. Also, continue to kill Dart Blowers with lightning (just ignore the Jaguar Warriors).
-At this point you should have a huge line of Frost Hammers continuously moving across the map, and the Aztecs can do absolutely nothing to stop them. If need be, research Heal to counter any poison, and the Frost Hammers will take care of the rest.

Against a normal AI, the match will take approx. 2 minutes.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:56 pm 

Very nice tech specs on everything- I really appreciate the effort put into this! Thank you so much.

Anyone have ideas to counter a Chinese dragon rush? Been f'd over 5 times today alone because of this stupidly easy tactic and I haven't really figured out a legitimate counter to it, other than maybe not making any units for a while if I see him doing nothing. There is no way Aztec can beat Chinese early game either. :evil:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:28 pm 

BusterK wrote:
Very nice tech specs on everything- I really appreciate the effort put into this! Thank you so much.

Anyone have ideas to counter a Chinese dragon rush? Been f'd over 5 times today alone because of this stupidly easy tactic and I haven't really figured out a legitimate counter to it, other than maybe not making any units for a while if I see him doing nothing. There is no way Aztec can beat Chinese early game either. :evil:

I have a foreign exchange student staying with me for the rest of the school year, and we've been playing a lot of Swords and Soldiers. Of course, over the course of several matches he unintentionally figured out that the Chinese were a bit overpowered, so now he uses them all the time. He still manages to beat me, despite my much greater experience, and I've found that ONE way to win early game is to spam jags. Unfortunately, this only works if your opponent spends slightly more time and money getting more workers than you, as he tends to do. The other tactic I use is to keep him on edge with jags, while building up to necromancers. Since he continues to spend all his money on swordsmen (sometimes going to zen masters) I'm able to amass a giant skeleton army before he can get any rocketeers. Again, this only works on beginners, but I just thought I'd share my experiences :D

On the same note, the only time I've encountered him using a dragon was RIGHT after I used a boulder. So, we completed wiped out all of the forces on the field, including workers. It was pretty comical, since we pretty much COMPLETELY started the match over, aside from researching.

Hopefully I'll be able to whoop him even moreso once the patch is released.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 am 

Japes wrote:
I have a foreign exchange student staying with me for the rest of the school year, and we've been playing a lot of Swords and Soldiers. Of course, over the course of several matches he unintentionally figured out that the Chinese were a bit overpowered, so now he uses them all the time. He still manages to beat me, despite my much greater experience, and I've found that ONE way to win early game is to spam jags. Unfortunately, this only works if your opponent spends slightly more time and money getting more workers than you, as he tends to do. The other tactic I use is to keep him on edge with jags, while building up to necromancers. Since he continues to spend all his money on swordsmen (sometimes going to zen masters) I'm able to amass a giant skeleton army before he can get any rocketeers. Again, this only works on beginners, but I just thought I'd share my experiences :D

The problem I have with this is you'd need either giants or necros to be able to push.... they will just use terracotta on your jags, and swords deal with them quite easily (at least with the current version, 2 jags are required to kill a sword).... necros will get arrowed or stoned. If you go for only 4-6 workers while pumping jags, the opponent will already have more workers than you leaving you at a disadvantage. I've tried sacing workers by the time he uses dragon, and it's ineffective since you eventually run out of mana to mind control his units (which he is continuously spamming). I might give it a go in an offline match though. Back to the drawing board for me...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 am 

BusterK wrote:
Japes wrote:

The problem I have with this is you'd need either giants or necros to be able to push.... they will just use terracotta on your jags, and swords deal with them quite easily (at least with the current version, 2 jags are required to kill a sword).... necros will get arrowed or stoned. If you go for only 4-6 workers while pumping jags, the opponent will already have more workers than you leaving you at a disadvantage. I've tried sacing workers by the time he uses dragon, and it's ineffective since you eventually run out of mana to mind control his units (which he is continuously spamming). I might give it a go in an offline match though. Back to the drawing board for me...

Quite honestly, after a little over a dozen online matches, I stopped. I still play Swords and Soldiers almost every day, just skirmishes or splitscreen (if I have someone to play with). It allows you to play on large maps, which make for much longer and interesting matches.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, usually I try to get out 1 giant, because my friend (unless he goes zen masters) usually takes a long time to switch to rocketeers. This lets my giants give me lots and lots of time to build up my resources.