Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Development blogposts
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Many games have that kind of adaptive music. The composer writes a bunch of variations on tracks, or writes short pieces that can be put after each other in different ways, and the game dynamically chooses what to play. However, in those cases the music is still pre-composed so everyone still hears the same things. Truly procedural music is very rare in games. The only game I know that did that is Spore.

In my spare time I'm currently working on an automatic composer: a program that writes music by itself, and plays it. Such a program could also react to gameplay and change its composition based on that. It's still in a very early stage, but here's an early demo of my procedural music generator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brzjDeC1T3w

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm 

I find this super interesting and engaging because it could fix the problem that occurs in many game genres where a soundtrack simply gets too repetitive after playing it for the 100th time, even if you do have different variations of a sountrack, eventually they will wear out. Games with repetitive aspects such as RPG's, fighters and racers really suffer from this.

On the other hand, games like Ori and Journey can manage a very engaging soundtrack, but only for a couple of hours and even then there are problems with it. In Ori I remember I cleared the first escape tree without failure, which caused the soundtrack to sync up perfectly which made it epic. The later escape missions I failed a couple of times though and the whole epicness was torn apart because the track kept starting over and over again.

It'd be interesting to see how a program will react to such kind of hard-resets when a player loses a life. In a way you want him to notice that he made a mistake, but hard-stopping the soundtrack leaves such a bummer in terms of sound.

Even if I probably understand only half of it, the idea is truly fascinating. I'd love to see some more updates on this project so make sure to post them! :O

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Zold wrote:
... I'd love to see some more updates on this project so make sure to post them! :O

I post random bits of music that it generates on Twitter/Instagram/Tumblr so if you follow me there you can hear them. :) Here's one I just posted:

https://twitter.com/JoostDevBlog/status ... 1098233856

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:07 pm 

Awesome, thanks!

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:11 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New blogpost on development of Awesomenauts! This one is about building matchmaking using the systems that Steam/Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo provide. In other words: the pre-Galactron era.

Working with generic room-based matchmaking

I'm slowly working through the things we learned about matchmaking during the history of Awesomenauts. The next matchmaking post will be about why we switched from the system described here to Galactron.