Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Post subject: Re: Development blogposts
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:26 pm 

Joost wrote:
New blogpost!

Creating crisper special effects with trails

Trails were added to the Ronitech about a year ago and have made their appearance in a lot of special effects since then, so I figured it was about time to write about how they were made. Includes a video that shows our tools in action! :glasses:

It's been 9 months since I wrote my last blogpost, time to pick up the pace again! :ayla:

As someone who is studying to be a software engineer and developer, your posts are always insightful and fun; thanks for sharing them and hope to see more of them soon :ayla: !

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:21 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New blogpost! About how we can make trails look smooth and curvy even when player movement in a platformer contains lots of angles. Includes a little video with several smoothing settings!

A simple way to smooth angular trails

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:56 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New blogpost! About how we recently added an option to our engine for artists to fix texture distortion when needed.

Fixing texture distortion on deformed polygons

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:42 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New blogpost! This one isn't specifically about Awesomenauts, but I figured it would be interesting for Awesomenauts players anyway since it was inspired by many of the weapon variations in Awesomenauts:

The big list of ways to create varied weapons

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:41 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New blogpost! This one is very relevant as I've analysed the biggest problems in last week's Galactron Live Beta and how we're addressing those.

Analysing the new Awesomenauts matchmaker

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:54 pm 

Time to binge read :drool:

Reifiui wrote:
Catti is the forumer that we need, but don't deserve

I'm open to art Commissions!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:32 pm 

Joost wrote:

Creating crisper special effects with trails

" Our artists have fast computers and usually have vsync disabled so they often run the game at 200fps or more. They need to go out of their way to see what Awesomenauts looks like on 30fps or even 20fps. To avoid situations where artists unknowingly create effects that only look smooth and good on very high framerates, I've limited the maximum number of segments per second to 60. If on older netbooks the framerate drops below that you will still get less smooth trails, but the difference between 20fps and 60fps is much more acceptable than between 20fps and 200fps"

God
Bless you guys. :GnawCry:
It's the little things man :ixsad: Don't normaly have the best computer but that's amazing to hear that's also taken into consideration.

That and i play the two characters you tended to showcase a lot, Rocco and Ix so i really see the trails more than most other people should see them. I always loved trying to brake down how they worked :scoop: .

[X] wrote:
"The smoothing algorithm I came up with turns out to be really simple. It was inspired by how subdivision surfaces work on 3D mesh smoothing, but without the subdividing."

Yo.

[X] wrote:

YO!

[X] wrote:
This means that if an artist tweaks the number of segments after having set the smoothing, she'll need to tweak the smoothing again.

I take it you either have a new intern or a new staff member who's female doing this stuff :tongue: :lol:

[X] The weapon one wrote:
just everything

:chucho: I needed this. And need to get my DM to read it with me NOW.

[X]Analysing the new Awesomenauts matchmaker wrote:
"Instead of talking about opinions, let's have a look at cold hard facts"

me at that moment.

Man overall great reads I missed your content! :lol:

Reifiui wrote:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:14 pm 

Joost wrote:
I've seen some complaints regarding long waiting times in Galactron. Galactron performs a matchmaking round once every 5 minutes. That means that if you start searching for a match just before the round starts you'll get a match really quickly, while if you start searching just after you'll have to wait the full 5 minutes. On average this means a waiting time of 2.5 minutes. That isn't that much longer than before: in the old matchmaking it might take up to 4 minutes before a match stars, and longer if it isn't full yet at that point.

The length of a matchmaking round should be a function of the number of players waiting in the lobby, with some specified max and min. If, for example, the game suddenly became more popular and you had 2000 active players at once, you could probably cut the waiting time to a third of its present value or lower. On the other hand, a very low player count would most likely benefit from increasing the waiting time further than the current 5 minutes.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:30 pm 

hurleybird wrote:
Joost wrote:
I've seen some complaints regarding long waiting times in Galactron. Galactron performs a matchmaking round once every 5 minutes. That means that if you start searching for a match just before the round starts you'll get a match really quickly, while if you start searching just after you'll have to wait the full 5 minutes. On average this means a waiting time of 2.5 minutes. That isn't that much longer than before: in the old matchmaking it might take up to 4 minutes before a match stars, and longer if it isn't full yet at that point.

The length of a matchmaking round should be a function of the number of players waiting in the lobby, with some specified max and min. If, for example, the game suddenly became more popular and you had 2000 active players at once, you could probably cut the waiting time to a third of its present value or lower. On the other hand, a very low player count would most likely benefit from increasing the waiting time further than the current 5 minutes.

Yeah on the other hand however……It's just 5 minutes though

Gives you time to like…
look away from the computer

relax
go take a !@#$ brake
stand up and stretch

It's a buffer between matches.
It's like the equivelent of Nintendo frendly reminding you to take brakes during a long play session only to exit the game it gives you a moment to calm down.

Reifiui wrote:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:18 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

hurleybird wrote:

This is already how it works: if the matchmaker expects more than 150 people in the next round (based on the number of people in recent previous rounds) the matchmaking time is automatically decreased. If we have 2000 simultaneous players the time between rounds would probably drop from 5 to 3 minutes.

catgame21234 wrote:
[X] wrote:
This means that if an artist tweaks the number of segments after having set the smoothing, she'll need to tweak the smoothing again.

I take it you either have a new intern or a new staff member who's female doing this stuff :tongue: :lol:

We don't currently have a female intern at Ronimo (we often do, just not at the moment). In recent blogposts I try to always call undetermined gamers or developers "she" since I think it's lame that most people default to "he" and automatically assume gamers are male.

By the way, what's up with the "yo" "YO" thing?

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next