Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post subject: Re: Development blogposts
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:33 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Lunk The Hero wrote:
That's a very creative way of saying "screw you" to low player base regions

What part is?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:30 pm 

Although split game modes cause worse matchmaking, I think that not splitting up premades/duoqueues from soloqueue will do the same and, additionally, cause the playerbase to shrink.

If I wanted, I could decide to play 100 games in a full premade and get a winrate somewhere between 95-100%. Out of those 100 games, probably at least 80 games will be completely one-sided. One-sided games are not enjoyable for the losing team at all, it's frustrating.

This means that if three skilled individuals decide to team up and play 100 games, they can destroy the fun of one match for 240 individuals. I think this is currently a pretty big flaw in the matchmaking. You make a matchmaker to ensure that players get fun matches, but at the moment, this promise can easily be undermined by a small group of individuals.

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:54 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

@Zold:
Yeah that's a problem. The alternative isn't any better though: if premades were to only play against other premades of similar skill, then premades would get enormous waiting times, essentially removing premades from the game altogether since too few people would be willing to wait that long. Not being able to play with your friends is probably worse for the game than occasionally getting stomped like this.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:33 pm 

Joost wrote:

You mention providing activities during queue time. Personally ive never had any desire to use the replay watching function. I have wondered, though, if something like endless drop-in-out rtdm matches in a small window in the lobby would be possible/worth the effort. Something simple that wouldnt need real matching or chat and such because theres no 'winning' or effect on ranking. Maybe even user made tdm maps could be cycled through it :p.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:08 pm 

stev wrote:
Joost wrote:

You mention providing activities during queue time. Personally ive never had any desire to use the replay watching function. I have wondered, though, if something like endless drop-in-out rtdm matches in a small window in the lobby would be possible/worth the effort. Something simple that wouldnt need real matching or chat and such because theres no 'winning' or effect on ranking. Maybe even user made tdm maps could be cycled through it :p.

why would you want that when there is the thrilling experience of the drop pod minigame

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:21 pm 

roflnauts during wait times plz

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New blogpost!

Not quite Awesomenauts but here's a new blogpost anyway. :)

Taking live soundtrack improvisation to the next level

I'll continue my series on matchmaking in the next post. :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:23 am 

I wonder to what extent it would be possible to write a piece of program that improvises the soundtrack based on the way the player plays. Ideally you'd want it to have at least a bit of structure so that it doesn't sound completely random and players share a simmilar experience, but then it would be cool if each player would listen an alternated version based on how their gameplay went.

You know like how the old Windows Music Player 'improvised' these pretty shapes of light based on the music you played, kinda like that but vice versa. I like the idea though, it's pretty awesome to improvise based on what happens in a game. If that would be automated and implemented in game, it would be next level awesome.

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
The visualisers were (are?) amazing.

Dynamic soundtracks like this exist to an extent in the Left 4 Dead series and Skyrim, although the latter is more based on specific events. There is a third whose name I cannot recall.

A whole game soundtrack being based on the events would be amazing.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 pm 

Total War Attila did this to an extent.

The battle music can shift into different versions of the same track at certain times in the song. Each version has a different feel to it so they are able to have the music somewhat react to what is happening in the battle.

e.g. calm on the approach, hectic as the battle lines clash, scary as you start losing, then triumphant after the enemy general dies and you start winning.

The changes are subtle but really add to the immersion that the music can bring.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next