Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: League reset, when?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:48 pm 

Has this been answered in any way?
Ranks 4000 and up are getting ridiculous, as it seems 10% of the players are smurfs who have no other games than Awesomenauts and have win rate of 80% in it with their 15 hours, and another 20% are just inactive etc. I have stopped looking at the rating alltogether now, as its getting silly.

Post subject: Re: League reset, when?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 pm 

what are you hoping a league reset would accomplish, exactly?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:15 pm 

robochase6000 wrote:
what are you hoping a league reset would accomplish, exactly?

Isn't obvious or is it a little to elevated thinking.
(Robochase's brain thinking)"Not available"

In case you haven't heard, living under a rock this hole time 9000. Today probably marks thee sixth month the leader boards haven't been reset or addressed in anyway. Resetting will bring along with it some problems sure but the pros out weigh any negatives.
Having a fresh start, sounds like a great idea.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 pm 

The leaderboard system needs a bit of an overhaul altogether, particularly introducing some kind of rank decay to prevent players from just switching to alts once they play too many games in a season.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:26 pm 

silascrow wrote:
(Robochase's brain thinking)

i mean, IsoKoala cited 2 'problems' - smurf accounts high up on the leaderboard, and inactive accounts being high on the leaderboard. let's look at each.

smurf accounts: so they secured a good leaderboard spot in < 50 hours. how is this a problem? how would it negatively affect matchmaking? (it's not a problem, it doesn't affect matchmaking negatively once they've secured the spot they should be at..).

inactive accounts: they're sitting there on the leaderboard taking up a slot. you want to reset the leaderboard to kick these guys off so that you can move up the board a bit and feel better about yourself or what? they have no bearing on matchmaking either because matchmaking only works amongst the players who are currently online looking for a match. plus, the way moving up the leaderboard works...if you're not playing the game, people will eventually pass you up because you're not playing & not accumulating rank.

so i ask again - what is it that you hope a leaderboard reset would accomplish since the only thing it really does for matchmaking is make it terrible for a few weeks. i guess you can feel good about moving a few hundred ranks on the leaderboard when the dust settles eh?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:40 am 
Adminaut

silascrow wrote:
Isn't obvious or is it a little to elevated thinking.
(Robochase's brain thinking)"Not available"

In case you haven't heard, living under a rock this hole time 9000.

Chill out, my dude. You're losing your mind over someone asking a fair question.

#MakeNautsMoreLikePong
Mainly playing: Whoever I feel like.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:40 am 

Yea I don't necessarily see how a league reset would solve the issues of Smurf accounts. If anything, it may just exacerbate the issue for the first few weeks, while the Smurf accounts pub stomp their way through the lower leagues.

And I agree the leaderboard needs a bit of a rework. Perhaps the players "rating" should be highlighted more than "Rank". I feel a lot of confusion/frustration stems from an individual's "rank" and what the player "perceives" that rank to reflect. The scenario of "oh I'm L3 now, so why is mm pairing me with newbs , argh!!!", is a common one. When in reality, you can have two L3 players with drastically different skill levels.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:49 am 

General Disarray wrote:
I feel a lot of confusion/frustration stems from an individual's "rank" and what the player "perceives" that rank to reflect. The scenario of "oh I'm L3 now, so why is mm pairing me with newbs , argh!!!", is a common one. When in reality, you can have two L3 players with drastically different skill levels.

i've been thinking about this a bit lately. i feel like they should actually add like 5 more leagues and split up league 2, 3, and 4 a bit more. i understand that it wouldn't truly affect matchmaking, but having more leagues will make climbing the leaderboard a bit more aspirational. or i'm wrong and it could just create more hostility when you find you're paired up with people outside of your league more often.

-robo "living under a rock this hole time" 9000

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:14 am 

Xelrog wrote:
1) Fix matchmaking. More players have made lag worse rather than better, so something in the algorithm isn't up to snuff in how players are being paired up.

2) Season reset and/or rank decay. Right now, ranking means nothing and isn't moving.

3) Split queues, casual and ranked.

4) Give ranked mode a draft system.

That's our to-do list.

Quoted from another thread.

The problem is that ranks stop moving after a little while, which cements players in leagues they maybe shouldn't be in and takes away a big incentive to play. A little uncertainty in the system is necessary; even if the player isn't ultimately moving anywhere, seeing actual movement from match to match confirms that climbing is possible, if their skill increases enough. The way the leaderboards currently work, it doesn't make much difference how much you improve--it gets harder to move in any direction with each game because of the "certainty" factor of MMS.

One way to solve a big problem here is introducing rank decay, so that winning a few exploited matches at the start of the season and then stopping play entirely doesn't cement you in the top places.

I don't know how to deal with the smurfs issue, or if there is a way to effectively deal with them. If it doesn't already, having some level of carryover from season to season would help. Say you finished the last season in L2--while you're technically unranked, you'll still be matched by MMS as if you were in L2. This would be purely for making matches somewhat balanced, as opposed to utter chaos, but would not be taken into consideration in regards to your rank gain/loss at the end of a match. That would be determined as if you were fresh and unranked. At least this way, smurf accounts wouldn't be totally fresh every reset, and a player would have to go through the hassle of creating more and more each time they wanted to really start from scratch.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:37 am 

but it's entirely possible to move up the leaderboard into upper leagues well into a season, though. you just need to win games and keep yr percentage >50% (especially when playing against higher ranked opponents), and you'll see gradual growth.

it's hard, sure - but who says it should be easy? that's the whole point of the leaderboard. everyone is trying to get to the top, but there's only so much room up there.