Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: An update on matchmaker development
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 am 

Before making the queue times longer, please allow joining the queue while watching a replay and fix the bug which kicks you from the queue for a second when you leave a replay to search for another one.

Also, give an option in the replays menu to see only the replays with the top 10% ranked players, so that there's always something interesting to watch.

Finally, if I join a match while watching a replay I'd love to get back to watching it immediately after the match has ended.

With these tweaks I wouldn't mind waiting even 10 minute queues, I think...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:43 pm 

narol1990 wrote:
Before making the queue times longer, please allow joining the queue while watching a replay and fix the bug which kicks you from the queue for a second when you leave a replay to search for another one.

Also, give an option in the replays menu to see only the replays with the top 10% ranked players, so that there's always something interesting to watch.

Finally, if I join a match while watching a replay I'd love to get back to watching it immediately after the match has ended.

With these tweaks I wouldn't mind waiting even 10 minute queues, I think...

I very much agree with this because I always watch the match of the day while waiting in queue. More top replays like this would indeed make me watch more of them, and it would be great to just get back into the replay after my match ends and then just queue again from there. :yoolip:

But that shouldn't delay making matchmaking better. I can still do lots of other things while waiting for a game like surf the net.

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 pm 

Top 10% based on rating (starting from 10k?), overall players that are listed on the leaderboards or players that are waiting for a game?

One of the best solutions would be to match people according to their rating using leagues as an indicator.
1&2
3&4
5&6
7&8&9
If there are no ppl to match with you automatically get into the next queue and just have to wait longer until a fair matchup can be guaranteed. Not even league 2's should actually be matched up with league 1's but what you gonna do with such a small playerbase? What we currently have is the biggest mess of all time, playing as L1 with L7's is unacceptable and ruins the game experience for everyone.

Edit: Also, restrict premades to the same rating (only L1&2, L3&4...) difference. Why is that not a thing yet?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:00 pm 

You shouldn't be allowed to q' with someone that is 2-3 leagues above or below you.

So L3 players can q' with L1-L5. L6 players can q' with L4-L8.

Nerf Sentry already, srsly...

Enjoying Spec Mode since Q4 2014
Also enjoying HMS since late 2015

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm 

idk if this has been suggested before im sure it has been but if you could do like a little custom/bot match during ques would be nice especially if times were doubled for pres and high ranked players.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 pm 

YungGoat wrote:
idk if this has been suggested before im sure it has been but if you could do like a little custom/bot match during ques would be nice especially if times were doubled for pres and high ranked players.

Or try mode.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 pm 

That was originally going to be added when Galactron was announced, shame to see they never went through with it though.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm 

Baixst wrote:
You shouldn't be allowed to q' with someone that is 2-3 leagues above or below you.

So L3 players can q' with L1-L5. L6 players can q' with L4-L8.

Absolutely this (or something like this). For better or for worse, right now we just have one PvP mode, and it's ranked. Queueing with people of completely disparate skill would be fine in an unranked mode, but in ranked this breaks the matchmaker and ruins games. You can't just throw up your hands and say 'people should be allowed to play with their friends' while also insisting on having a ranked mode with good matchmaking; these things are mutually exclusive. Make a hard rating difference cutoff (say, 5000 elo) beyond which you can't queue with someone. Other games do this in competitive mode and it's for a reason.

If you want a free-for-all, unranked, just-for-funzies casual mode where pros can queue with <10 hours players, by all means introduce it! I'm sure people, especially newbies, would love it. You could make the queue times really short there, too.

Also, re: leagues, they should absolutely continue to be a thing! They definitely shouldn't be used for matchmaking but it's really nice having a shiny number you can associate with your Nauts skill, and it feels great ranking up and having some sort of ladder to climb, even if it's not very meaningful and just for aesthetic reasons. It's great for player retention to have a functional league system; it's a good way to get people to play obsessively in an attempt to git gud and rank up. Very telling that people on steam forums are wondering where the league information is or if there even are leagues---it's something people expect and want.

main: :think:
second: :clap:
occasionally also play: :worship: :sleep: :scoop: :GnawShock: :rocco: :thumb:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:50 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Several fixes and changes just went live in Update 4.1.1. Click here for the patch notes.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 pm 

are you gonna actually tell us what changes to matchmaking were made pls and ty sir

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble