Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive mode.
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 302
The leaderboard system they have right now is just fine for people who want to play this game casually, but this game really needs an actual ranked mode that you need to earn. Other games that are team based and have a comp mode make you have to reach a certain level before you can play that mode. I think nauts would do good with what Smite does though. That is, you have to "master" "X amount of characters" before you can play the ranked mode.

This would give those that want to have a more competitive game a place to have that. and it would also keep out people who frankly, haven't put the time into nauts.

For example, I'm in league 3 and I keep getting people in my matches, on both my team and on the enemy team that have less than 100 hours into the game. While I don't want to discourage them from playing nauts, when they're against me, I kill them quite a lot and when they're on my team, well someone on the enemy team that has over 1000 hours kills them a lot.

If the x amount of characters mastered is used, it should be something like 12-15. And that number should stay constant no matter how many nauts get released.

And by "mastered", I mean nauts ranked to lvl 1 or 2. But actually, with the new character leveling system, it could be rank 3 since that's when you unlock the master items. And it's not like it takes that long to reach that. But it would require people to actually play the game to play comp mode.

Of course, this idea could be ironed out more. But it is something I feel Awesomenauts needs.

EDIT - Oh, I completely forgot to put this in my opening post but if I can edit it I'll do that.

One of the things that happens with the X amount of nauts mastered in the example I gave (Smite) is that in the ranked mode you can ONLY play as the characters you raised to that mastery level. Which is something I really like because then you won't have people in ranked who can say "I can only play 1 character," or just one trick.


Last edited by allstarsniper32 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 20
Location: Sacramento, CA
allstarsniper32 wrote:
I think nauts would do good with what Smite does though. That is, you have to "master" "X amount of characters" before you can play the ranked mode.

HotS has a similar feature as well.

But you seem to be correlating "time played" with "skill". Something I'm not a fan of and is quite fallacious anyway.

From my experiences (tho limited in MOBAs and their respective ranking/competitive systems), having a hard line ranking system just doesn't work w/ matchmaking. Nor should it. I mean, if you're personal goal is to play competitively and climb the ranks, why on earth would you want to group w/ random strangers?

My solution, generally, for matchmaking games that have ranked systems is to add a LFG element. So at least you know you're on the same page as the randoms you'll group up with.

THEN you can start looking into or thinking about ranking brackets and such. AFTER an LFG is implemented. That's generally my opinion.

_________________
playing - :LeonWink: Deadlift :cocoon:
planning - :shady: :ksenia: :CocoWink: :think: :party: :thumb: :ix:
debating - :rocco: :fist: :chucho:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:08 pm
Posts: 533
Location: Poland
allstarsniper32 wrote:
And by "mastered", I mean nauts ranked to lvl 1 or 2. But actually, with the new character leveling system, it could be rank 3 since that's when you unlock the master items. And it's not like it takes that long to reach that. But it would require people to actually play the game to play comp mode.

You can get lvl 3 by playing only 2 matches with such character, it's nowhere near mastering.

_________________
Steam -Rybak
:chew:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 332
Location: It's shaped like a Mitten.
I just want drafting to be a thing. Adds a great element to ranked games. Picking/counterpicking/bans please.

_________________
Mists of Tundraria (WIP map) - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899298902
Check out TeamXEggs' YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/teamxeggs


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Posts: 754
Add a 3v3 draft mode ladder.

All that needs to be said imo, theres not really any reason to not do it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 9133
Location: Washington, USA
We need split queues. Would've been a great opportunity with several thousand concurrent players, if they didn't all fly away due to buggy matchmaking.

_________________
Burningdillo wrote:


On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Posts: 5496
Location: Barrier Magazine Marketing Department
What it needs is a leader-board that isn't a god damn meme which puts 90% of the player base in 10% (11.1%) of the leader-board.

_________________
I was Chogi.
Emo Chapington wrote:
[Post brought to you by GuyBrush]
Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 302
Dr. Cheesesteak wrote:
allstarsniper32 wrote:
I think nauts would do good with what Smite does though. That is, you have to "master" "X amount of characters" before you can play the ranked mode.
But you seem to be correlating "time played" with "skill". Something I'm not a fan of and is quite fallacious anyway.

While I agree that time =/= skill in an absolute sense, it at least means someone put time into the game to learn it.

I mean, if you take two players, one with 50 hours played and one with 1000 hours played, which would you assume initially to be better?

I know that someone with 1000+ hours can still be not that great at the game though.

Dr. Cheesesteak wrote:
From my experiences (tho limited in MOBAs and their respective ranking/competitive systems), having a hard line ranking system just doesn't work w/ matchmaking. Nor should it. I mean, if you're personal goal is to play competitively and climb the ranks, why on earth would you want to group w/ random strangers?

The goal of matchmaking is to make each match a close match in terms of skill.

As far as grouping with strangers, in a ranked or competitive mode, the people you're randomly paired with are more likely to be more serious about winning and picking a team comp rather than just playing whatever they want or playing something they've never played before. It's not always true, but is more likely.
rybakowsky wrote:
You can get lvl 3 by playing only 2 matches with such character, it's nowhere near mastering.

That was just an example and not a hard set rule. Of course "mastering" a character should be speculated on to find a good level to attain. How about the level to unlock the killing spree music?

I like all the suggestions from b-lozey to Xelrog. I dunno what guybrush means by the leaderboard being a meme XD


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:50 am
Posts: 1376
GuyBrush wrote:
What it needs is a leader-board that isn't a god damn meme which puts 90% of the player base in 10% (11.1%) of the leader-board.


:huh: :chucho:

_________________
Mains: :thumb: :derp: :worship: :think: :facepalm: :shady: :rocco: :jimmy:
steamcommunity.com/id/MrPillow92/
stream: twitch.tv/mrpillowthegreat
Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I feel this game needs an actual ranked or competitive m
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 302
rybakowsky wrote:
allstarsniper32 wrote:
And by "mastered", I mean nauts ranked to lvl 1 or 2. But actually, with the new character leveling system, it could be rank 3 since that's when you unlock the master items. And it's not like it takes that long to reach that. But it would require people to actually play the game to play comp mode.

You can get lvl 3 by playing only 2 matches with such character, it's nowhere near mastering.

I forgot to elaborate a point of that character mastery that I was meaning.

I know it's a different game, but the game I based that on whose ranked system I agree with is Smite. And the point of getting the character mastery to "x level" also means you can only use the characters you got to that level. So you can't just master the 12-15 nauts then go into ranked an use any naut you want. Any naut you use in ranked is a naut you would have had to put that amount of time in to attain whatever the mastery level would be.

And also, whatever number of nauts needed to be mastery gets decided, the number shouldn't change just because more nauts come out. That's why I feel a good number is 12-15. That's about half the nauts, but as more nauts come out, it won't be half the nauts anymore.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next