Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Season reset
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am 

Is really the longgoing season or the matchmaking the problem?

Yeah L2 is huge, and maybe even too huge.

I my most recent games there are only three types of games
1.Crushes = Win
2.Crushes = Loss
3.25+mins equal games

A lot of people only play to "git dem high ranks" totally forgetting that its about skill and not a number to be good..
I've seen people claiming their team sucks, just because they are 4/1/2 or sth and only cause of getting the low life kill as leon (or similar)
I've seen people really suck hard, but there is always more than one possible explaination for that.
Maybe they have a bad day, being tired, team comp not working for them OR they are really just at a lower skill than the raging kiddie flaming them..
Maybe they try a new naut they dont know to their League potential and suck with it? And maybe its exactly those kids who flamed before in that case.

Because climbing the ranks with one naut is way more easy then being able to adapt to a team or playing different nauts to the same skill level.
If I see someone ONLY playing one naut there is a high chance they never tried something different or did not want to. Also they are stuck at one place (higher than their normal skill cap though) where the lack of knowledge about other nauts is making that kiddo loose and rage again.

It's a full circle of saltiness

If you consider the three gametypes i've mentioned before you will have something like 15% crushes on both sides and 70% normal games.
Those people argue about 15% of their games where their ego is broken.
Believe me, I get crushed a bunch of times too but when you value the crush-loss over the crush-win then you cannot argue about matchmaking at all.

For the matchmaking being bad part. No matchmaking can be perfect and IMO a reset will only open the way for premade teams to climb higher than they used to be, only to get into "bad matchmaking" again for them and their teammates, even worse when soloQing after it..

EXCLAIMER: I do not call anyone in that or other threads a kiddo or salty little flamer. This statement is more about this discussion and what I've seen, learned and heard ingame.

In the end I would not like a season reset but somee kind of more open rank positioning, something like a very soft reset, where you keep your rank but get matched against other people to raise or fall more for some time. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT!
I just feel that you stagnate after like 300+ games and do not gain or losse much anymore

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:
We'll think about also muting the team commands.

Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about punching a cat

Please don't punch a cat.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 am 

Can a dev please tell me why they decided to completely ruin their game?

I'm * angry, I've been screwed over at every turn in my life, I don't need this stupid manipulative bs in my life.

thanks guys!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 pm 

DeezNauts wrote:
Slevens wrote:
I don't see how it's an issue at all. Especially since it should really only be forced upon League 1 and maybe up to rank 500.

How is it normal that people that don't play for months and months keep their spot exactly where they are?

The way it should work is that if you play once a week (or at least once a month), you're rating doesn't decay. But if you haven't played for that long you don't care about rank and should clear up that spot for someone who is playing consistently and who is maybe stuck in one place forever. There is absolutely no way to progress in the leaderboards right now, unless you start always playing full premade, coming from solo.

You have pulled it from my mouth.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm 

DeezNauts wrote:
Slevens wrote:
I don't see how it's an issue at all. Especially since it should really only be forced upon League 1 and maybe up to rank 500.

How is it normal that people that don't play for months and months keep their spot exactly where they are?

The way it should work is that if you play once a week (or at least once a month), you're rating doesn't decay. But if you haven't played for that long you don't care about rank and should clear up that spot for someone who is playing consistently and who is maybe stuck in one place forever. There is absolutely no way to progress in the leaderboards right now, unless you start always playing full premade, coming from solo.

The reason we haven't had a reset is that the "leaderboards" aren't meant to be that.

Ronimo has their rating system that they use to determine a player's skill. If a good player doesn't play for a week, do they get worse at the game? Of course not. Why should their rating decay then? They aren't getting worse. They just aren't playing.

The leaderboards are just a visual representation of what should be a hidden MMR, with a pretty league number visual tapes on. "Progression" only happens when you actually improve.

What should happen? Hide the rating. We don't need to see that. Instead, revamp the leaderboard idea. The leaderboard should be something with an achievable goal.

Consider hearthstone and its system. Winning gives you stars, losing loses stars. Win lots and you move up each month. Every 5 levels and you hit a floor that you can't pass back through even if you do nothing but lose. Then each month it resets. It's a completely different style of game, but you get the idea.

Let's go to nauts. Everyone starts in league 9. Matches are still made according to rating. Every time you reach a new league, that becomes your floor (losing won't drop you out of it). Every month, we start a new season and everyone drops 2 leagues.

• League 8: goal - 5 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses earn 0.5 points.
  • League 7: goal - 5 points. Wins earn 1 point.
  • League 6: goal - 10 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses lose 0.2 points.
  • League 5: goal - 10 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses lose 0.5 points.
  • League 4: goal - 10 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses lose 1 point.
  • League 3: goal - 20 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses lose 1 point.
  • League 2: goal - 20 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses lose 2 points.
  • League 1: goal - 20 points. Wins earn 1 point, losses lose 2 points. After winning once with a naut, you gain half points with that naut until losing a game with any naut.
So reaching league 1 requires at least 100 wins. If you can't get there in a month, you lose 2 leagues and have to earn your way back up.

With this system in mind, there is progression. There is decay. There are monthly goals. There is an encouragement to try different nauts. And each time you gain a league, you can safely play what you want because you can't lose ground.

This should maybe be its own thread though?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:03 pm 

redria7 wrote:

Yes, it's an interesting idea. Make a separate topic out of it so more people can notice and discuss it.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 pm 

rybakowsky wrote:
redria7 wrote:

Yes, it's an interesting idea. Make a separate topic out of it so more people can notice and discuss it.

Done.
http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50745

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
MrPillowTheGreat wrote:
i dont know if its more insulting that ronimo thinks the playerbase wouldnt be able to understand why matchmaking is bad for like 48 hours even though season resets/placement matches is a thing or that they actually think the current matchmaking experience doesn't already feel like a season reset

It doesn't to me. From what I've seen and heard, the bad matches are only happening to a very small, but very loud, percentile of players.

Reset wouldn't do anything good for matchmaking, the only reason to do it would be for the sense of leaderboard progression, and that would be much better accomplished by just making the leaderboards use values totally separate from matchmaking values.

Those small percentile of players experiencing bad matches should have the problem addressed with hard limits on how far rating in a match can be, but that's a completely and totally separate issue from leaderboards and season resets.

not reader centric enough didnt read

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm 

MrPillowTheGreat wrote:

ROASTED

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
MrPillowTheGreat wrote:

Oh no, do not start that nonsense again.

Ronimo seem quite adamant not to reset the leagues, for what it is worth.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

MrPillowTheGreat wrote:

See, if you actually didn't feel compelled to read it, then yes that's my responsibility and if I really cared about you reading it, it would indeed fall on me to update my argument in a way that appeals to you rhetorically.

But it seems a lot more likely you're just pulling my leg after the last discussion, so I can hardly be sure that's the case, can I? :tongue:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla: