Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Should matches be even SHORTER???
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 pm 

???

Matches nowadays last nearly 20 minutes, assuming no stomp. This is definitely faster than way back in the day, the 2013-2014 era, when matches could last for AGES (any REAL veterans here? Shoutout to my OG boys MonkeyCheez3K, DerpmanFish, the guy with the disapproving look username, Smokey Joe, AusomPossum, Saltonara, the fellow with the name sort of like "Salvador" but I can't exactly remember what but he was really quite a nice fellow indeed [he had a Thornfish avatar], burrhe, Zardoz, Cozyhut3, Renorec, AwesomeTurtwig, r0estir0bbe, toilethumor, JOOST MY MAN [hope everything's going great Joost, you're a fantastic person, God bless], the fella with the Barack Obama avatar, KEWN my man, Dread vas Qwib-Qwib [PROPER OG, God bless], VienLa, Bets, FTY, NazzyDragon, DarkDXZ [posted WAY too much but shoutout anyway God bless], rpvarela, :thumb: :thumb: and ALL those other TRUE veterans who left at some point due to their own reasons, whose usernames I can't quite remember but I assure you are equally deserving of a shoutout as all these other VETERANS I've named).

That isn't too bad but sometimes one wishes for shorter games, like 10 minutes. Awesomenauts is very fast paced, sometimes it happens that you get very BAD matches, you know? And when you LOSE, it feels BAD because you feel like you've lost 20 minutes of your time. 20 minutes is one third of an hour, which is one twentifourth of twenty four hours. 20 minutes is a big time investment.

10 minutes are by comparison one sixth of an hour, much different. Losing 10 minutes of your time doesn't feel nearly as bad. If we make Awesomenauts less of a time investment, everyone will be able to enjoy more matches per day, feel less bad about losing, and have more fun per game - I find that the fun of any match starts to fade about 10 minutes in, at some point, you're just "going through the motions", most games are decided by this point. The extra 10 minutes feel quite gruelling for the losing side, as a loss is inevitable and the struggle seems pointless.

How can we achieve this? Some proposals:

1. Truncate the earlygame, by making the early solar farming less relevant. No one really enjoys that. If we could start out with a greater amount of solar, we could get straight to the fun part of TEAMFIGHTs and KILLING! Instead of spending so many precious minutes on whacking droids and getting solar.

2. Increase overall rate of solar gain, making the lategame come faster. Lategame is fun, your character is beefed out, you've got most of your upgrades, your build is working as intended. Early game characters are all weak and the same! Midgame characters lack the POWER!

3. Basically any reasonable way to shorten any unfun phase of the game to make matches more "compact", quick, easy, bite-sized fun.

This isn't to say that 15+ minute matches should be eliminated entirely. Some games could still get to be very long, as many games right now can be incredibly short (usually when it's an awful, awful stomp of L1's/L2's vs innocent <100 hour newbies). Those especially long matches would be extra memorable, feel more fun due to their reduced frequency.

What do you think? Short matches, MORE FUN? Less unfun? Good idea?

Post subject: Re: Should matches be even SHORTER???
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 pm 

no

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm 

15-20 minutes is my sweet spot. i can enjoy slightly longer games if it feels like a slugging match, and not just both teams denying push endlessly.

the main problem with trying to bring the game time down - we still have scenarios NOW where a team can win in a couple minutes. if you make the characters even more powerful, this is going to be more prominent i think.

the game should last longer than the average queue time.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 pm 

Go play Super Smash Brothers

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Last edited by Gameinsky on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 pm 

triple no

I'm just a living meme trying to find justice in this cursed realm.
To quote Shakespeare "this game is dying fast lol".

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm 

I'm going to say "no" to this, if only because you didn't mention me on your "veteran" tangent

Not Ted McPain!
wodny wrote:
Alijar stop drinking that rocket fuel :think:
Jakob wrote:
Alijar pls :aylaroll:
Xelrog wrote:
Alijar's sig is the cheapest realty around. It's the trailer park of the Awesomenauts forums

Serving up Smiles everywhere

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:20 pm 

Let's make matches last 5 minutes so people can't buy more than 3 items ok?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm 

clear no

Nerf Sentry already, srsly...

Enjoying Spec Mode since Q4 2014
Also enjoying HMS since late 2015

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:51 pm 

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Murderchild did nothing wrong. :ayla:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:10 pm 

I want to put this in a frame now