Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Awesomenauts has a branding problem [IMPORTANT] [MUST RE
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:32 am 

The issue nauts has is that it's 5 years old now. No major gaming reviewer is going to review/re-review a 5 year old, indie, 2d moba. Even if you rebrand the game it's still at it's core: Awesomenauts the 5 year old, 2d moba. This isn't doomsaying or anything, this is a simple fact that the developers/player base are struggling to work with.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 am 

Wakkabanana wrote:
derailing attempt

GTFO, do not try to derail my threads please. :roll:

edit: removed hostility

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

I completely agree, as I have written several posts about this before. Even when I had a class mate irl who somehow had this game in his steam library, I couldn't force myself to talk about it with him. Just pronouncing 'Awesomenauts' in real conversations makes me cringe af, and we were friends. It was like "yea, you have this game? (that I have like 1.5k hours in)" and complete crickets since then...

It seems you just can't talk about this game with people irl, unless you are maybe in the Scribblenauts demographic, aka a 5 year old. (Btw. Scribblenauts sounds way more mature :shady: )

I wish they would take the game design concept for Awesomenauts and re-create it with a new engine, 3D models for everything. Then release it with a new name and branding. They should literally use the most generic name like 'Battlewars' or something. It would give the game the most mass appeal.

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
420NoScopeNauts.

Might as well be called this when everyone and their dog plays Raelynn.

my brain at 1:23am is a horse riding aa human as large as a t-rex with machine guns.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 am 

Wakkabanana wrote:

/Oil_Rope_Bombs thread.

From top to bottom:
  1. I think it's fine. Honestly, better than "name of a summoner spell in League of Legends" or "that word bad teen fiction writers use by spamming the synonym tool on word." (RIP Strife man. It was a good game. :cry: )
  2. I have to admit that this was a problem for me when I first heard of 'nauts, but this can be fixed with better screenshots as opposed to renaming the entire !@#$ing game.
    Get an image of Sentry shooting a Black Hole with Froggy Dashing towards a bunch of enemies while Skolldir is throwing someone and Swiggins is Anchor Diving the target Skol' threw: tell me that's not fast-paced action.
  3. Another problem I did sorta have, but not a reason to change the name of the entire !@#$ing game.
    Also searching "naut" on the Steam Store litterally only produces Awesomenauts stuff and one other game. :think:
  4. See 1. Also going back to what you said in your first point: 'Nauts.
    Any game sounds like something a doofy nerd would say if you read out the whole name. "Hei guiz wana pley defunse of da ancentz too? :leoneyes: "

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 pm 

unbelievablenauts

Winning games is nearly impossible for me

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:28 am 

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
1. "Awesomenauts" is a silly name. It's not a "cool" name like "League of Legends" (easily abbreviated to LoL), "DOTA", "Heroes of the Storm", or "Smite".

Disagree. It is not a silly name just because its not "Smite". Tried to talk with a LoL or DoTA Player about Smite? Thats a silly name, because Smite is more kind of an ability than a Game's name.
You can (and you might have used it alot already) call it Nauts when talking to players.

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
2. The game's cartoony aesthetic doesn't really advertise it well as a high-skill fast-paced MOBA. It looks like a fun platformer game, not an intense 2D action strategy game.

It's a MOBA, It even states it nowdays in the steam store. MOBA is not defined by being like LoL or such. Smite did it full 3d 3rd person, nauts did it full 2d. It's unique and thus a bit overlooked by others searching for "LoL similar games"
I think a lot of Nauts AND Smite players play those games BECAUSE it is not visually the same creampasta in tomatosauce like DoTA and LoL are. It is their chosen artstyle and I personally think it is more fitting, just because it is 2D, than any other artstyle.

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
3. Possible confusion with Pscyhonauts and Scribblenauts for viewers in the steam store

Ever tried to search a popular name title? Wanna play Dragonnest, but you mistype and buy dragons dogma or eye of the dragon from GoG?
I agree that you will not intuitunally search for it with that name, but ranting on a name is stupid. If Skyrim wouldve been called Awesomeskyrim and Awesomenauts Nauts, that would only change the name, not the game.
There are a lot of examples for similar names and different games (Not comparing skyrim and nauts here)
Also: Ever heard of Strife? Not very intuitive either. Its a LoL-like game, with a different artstyle and a short name like you state it beeing better. I played it for a month. And I forgot the name totally. Needed to look it up for that post lol. It copys everything, but is bad.

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
4. Awesomenauts is awkward and embarrassing to say. Do you really want to tell your friends that you play, uh, "Awesomenauts"?

Do you have no pride for stuff you like? I came from playing Dofus! Try telling people about that game and trying to convince to play it. I split my former class in half. Half of it playing the game since it was good, half of it never trying it and laughing about the fact we played a MMO with a stupid name.
Awesomenauts IMO sounds exactly like it showcases itself. A fastpaced Herobased teamgame with a cartoony artstyle to it.

But really what we brag about is hammered in stone. We cannot change anything on that, even if we wanted to. If someone dislikes this game for X or Y they just dislike it.
I consider Nauts a, if not THE, indie MOBA, which in this case makes it unique, special and awesome. :table:

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:
We'll think about also muting the team commands.

Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about punching a cat

Please don't punch a cat.