Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Golden Guns and Awesomepoint sinks
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 am 

Remember how when Awesomepoints were originally discussed there was an idea to let players get golden skin parts (guns) with their AP?
Ummm can we have that? :chucho: Players with the All 'Naut pack who don't care about pointless player icons have litterally nothing to spend their AP on. And even if we did: I got my Goldnauts icon pretty fast by playing daily and recruiting some people.
I'd love Golden Chucho pistols or a huge brick of lemon ice cream to bash my enemies with as Scoop.

And Ronimoo plz: The Jimmy mains want giant golden wrecking balls. :jimmy:

*Edit
GuyBrush wrote:
Actually I want to rant at 9:40 PM.

The lack of anything to do with Awesomepoints is a very serious player retention problem. We have to face the facts that, at least compared to its big brothers of League and DOTA, this game has far less content. This isn't Ronimo's fault: League of Legends has been out for nearly 16 years now, and the original Defense of the Ancients mod was made back in 2002. Awesomenauts comparatively is only 5 years old, and for a niche indie MOBA it has lasted for awhile.
But objectively: there's way less to do. Even with 4 maps (one of which is a giant meme and one not being competetively viable, so effectively only two maps), a roster of 31 (going up to 33 with Rocket and Qui'Tara) characters it's fairly easy to get bored with when compared to League's 137 or DOTA 2's 113. This isn't even mentioning all the characters who are worthless in the current meta. This again isn't Ronimo's fault but just how the metagame in a constantly rebalanced MOBA works. Try as they might there is no way Ronimo can possibly balance every single 'naut to all be viable. At least, without also indirectly making none of them viable and turning the game into a boring farce. Also while League/DOTA has zillions of items, Awesomenauts technically only has 24 per character, with 3 out of 6 being allowed for each ability. This again: doesn't mention items that are out of the meta.

The simple point I'm trying to get across is that player retention for a game where you do the same thing over and over again with so little option for variation (because this game is 5 years old as opposed to the nearly 20 years that one of its main competetitors have) is low, no matter how fun the core admitedly is. This is proven in games like Killing Floor, where the core game cycle never changes and the main player retention mechanic (other than "da giem ez fuhn") is the slow but steady improvement of your player avatar's abilities via the perk leveling system. Killing Floor is an admitedly simple game; perhaps even more simple than Awesomenauts. But it is this steady reinforcement outside of the core mechanics which make experience systems so inticing.
I'm not saying that Awesomenauts should have more of a grind. God no; that's the last thing I want. But what I am saying is that Awesomenauts' current EXP grind is largely pointless as there's nothing to be gained from leveling up. This then extends into there being no real reason to play matches, since all you gain is AP and EXP. What do you do with Awesomepoints? You buy characters that you already own if you're a veteran, or pointless player icons which won't be seen most of the time (as you have another one equipped). What do you do with EXP? You level up to unlock... more Awesomepoints. :aylaroll: Having something meaningful to steadily work towards is what intices us as human beings. It's our natural desire to get value out of our work.

Which is why I lead back to the cosmetic unlocks idea. Hundreds of games have proven that people will work towards making their virtual avatars look better. Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, the previously mentioned Killing Floor (2); the list goes on. Giving Awesomenauts a fairly cheap and simple cosmetic upgrade option to build towards would go a long way towards time investement and percieved value gained.
Unlike League, you don't get a new champion every month that costs 100 games of in-game currency grinding to unlock. (Also All Nauts pack mutes the "grind AP for character unlocks" point.) And unlike DOTA, you don't have a broken ranking system that lacks a cap or resets and therefor can be ground through for infinitum. And once again: we have 31 characters, DOTA has 113, League has 137. :think:

If only for the sake of giving us something to do, this game needs more uses for Awesomepoints.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Last edited by GuyBrush on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Golden Guns and Awesomepoint sinks
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:54 am 

agreed

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:03 pm 

+1 original Awesomepoints idea was very cool but they just implemented it as boring currency to buy nauts.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
GuyBrush wrote:
The Lord Protector wrote:
I, too, come to Awesomenauts to play Overwatch.

This should be feasible, given that the arm sprites (and therefore the guns) are drawn separate of the actual bodies.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:16 pm 

GuyBrush wrote:
I, too, come to Awesomenauts to play Overwatch.

:v)
Well unlike OW you're not getting them for grinding out ranks. I mean, not directly.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:13 pm 

It's Obvious we need MORE Things to buy with AP than there currently is. :yoolip:

I got almost 50000 points and All Nauts pack and No league progression due to 500 matches this season.. What's left to do is 1-2 matches here and there with a friend.. :shrug:

One suggestion would be, make the AP usable for discount for skins or something.. Though I would rather have something like golden guns ;D (takes more time to do, for ronimo I'd guess..)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:43 pm 

I feel like it doesnt fit the game I would be fine with it if I had the option to turn them off so I dont see them.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 am 
Adminaut

Maybe not specifically gold. Personally speaking, just pure gold on things looks extremely tacky and dull :shrug: That said, it theoretically should be possible to change certain elements of sprites individually, especially the shooting arm, as that's independent. They could always add other things too, like small song variations (instrumental setting?), or a bonus voiceline.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:20 am 
Adminaut

I would prefer a 'master skin' for each character; get them to level 12 and then spend a bunch of Awesomepoints to get a new skin just for them. An entire skin with a cool 'master' look to it, kinda like in pre-2.0 Heroes of the Storm, would really incentivize me to play more.

Gold weapons aren't as easy to implement as it seems I imagine. Weapon sprites are still assigned to those skin indexes and part of those skins' spritesheets. Then there's the concept of what the weapon entails. What would Leon's sword become? Even more gold energy? Deadlift doesn't even have a weapon, he just has a regular arm and an already-gold holo-arm. What changes there? What of Nibbs??? Then Commander Rockets on both red and blue team will have giant blobs of gold strapped to them which makes reading their team colour in a frantic situation more difficult. This is all nitpicky but I feel like a cosmetic change of just your weapon to just one colour on both teams makes for a bit of a mess compared to an entirely new skin.

Character Hitbox Thread (Rocket added)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 am 

Emo Chapington wrote:
Maybe not specifically gold. Personally speaking, just pure gold on things looks extremely tacky and dull :shrug: That said, it theoretically should be possible to change certain elements of sprites individually, especially the shooting arm, as that's independent. They could always add other things too, like small song variations (instrumental setting?), or a bonus voiceline.

I also don't like when they just make them pure gold. I say to do it like Overwatch, have it be more gold in certain areas rather than just having the entire thing gold.