Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Could we block ppl again?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:40 am 

I think everybody has someone who we don't wanna play with/against.
There were these good times when you just block these ppl and never get in a match with them again.
Now, this has been removed and I get crab ton matches where I see no point in even trying to play, mainly against ppl who exploit the game or lag too much. :table:

:redcheer: I know such option apparently causes trouble in matchmaking, but I think each of us should be allowed to block at least 1-3 ppl. :bluecheer:

Post subject: Re: Could we block ppl again?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:30 am 

Blocking never did anything. Besides that, it's a band-aid fix to other problems.

If the player is being abusive, cheating, etc., report them.

If the player is lagging, it's either one of two things. Either it's like 150 ping and you're one of those people who have really unrealistic expectations, or it's serious lag and the matchmaker should have never put you together in the first place. In any case blocking wouldn't help.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:20 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
snip

Well, first of all, it did help a lot to not get constantly matches where my team gets steamrolled by L1 premade's and I don't think I can just report and expect ronimo to ban out of my matches gamers that have big influence on so called balancing the characters

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
Blocking never did anything. Besides that, it's a band-aid fix to other problems.

If the player is being abusive, cheating, etc., report them.

If the player is lagging, it's either one of two things. Either it's like 150 ping and you're one of those people who have really unrealistic expectations, or it's serious lag and the matchmaker should have never put you together in the first place. In any case blocking wouldn't help.

To be fair, those types of reports take a very long time to process (i.e. they're either manually verified or so many of them are filed that it auto-bans them) and it doesn't prevent that person from continuing to act in that manner for either the rest of the day or two days (if on a weekend). Essentially, that person has just ruined the player experience and will continue to do so for a prolonged duration. This not only makes first impressions of the game inadequate and unrealistic, but also makes veteran players leave as well since the thing they've enjoyed for so long has essentially been ruined. All of these things combined causes a downwards spiral; notice the average player rate dipped significantly after the last hacker was present for 2 whole days, which has in-turn created worse matchmaking for veterans since they mainly have F2P players as teammates or opponents in the absence of people with like skill.

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to blocking about 2 - 3 people; it doesn't break the system whatsoever on a major scale, and it allows you to quickly act when reports take a much longer time to process. If the reporting system was reworked or became more efficient in this task I'd say it wouldn't be necessary, but I've asked for this to occur since 2 - 3 months ago and still nothing, so I wouldn't count on that.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:58 pm 

Blocking peoples does nothing, nor banning them.

Just bring some ICBMs, however, risk is that it's gonna be expensive to erase that kind of behavior.

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive

CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag

_olaffff wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 am 

blocking people that are better than you is pretty lame

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 am 

Asked for this before and got the same replies you're getting now.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:47 am 

ant wrote:
blocking people that are better than you is pretty lame

Well, playing against the same L1 smurf account who is beyond my skills, again and again and always losing is lame as well. In theory I agree with you though, losing is part of the game. Its just not that fun in reality, when someone who shouldnt be playing with you in the first place, always ends with you.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 pm 

I too miss that feature. I believe that it did change things for the better, moving away from 200 ping games more towards 100 ping games. But that was after I blocked literally thousands of people. Matchmaking as it is now seems fine to me. I'm just upset that some of the time I'm put against the same premades over and over with no hope of winning.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 pm 
Adminaut

There is a fundamental issue to allowing everyone to block.

If we made an example that there was a "bad" person in circulation. Cheater, griefer, whatever, they ruin any match they join. Through their shenanigans a whopping 50% of players have them blocked! This means, for those 50%, the probability of meeting them is 0%. For the other 50%, it's now 200% the usual rate. Ultimately, for all players, there's little improvement here.

Now suggest everyone blocked 50% of "bad people". because nobody communicates information well, let's say it's fairly evenly spread which of the bad people each individual chose.

This would mean that, for every single player, 50% of the bad people have 0% rate, and 50% have 200% rate. You therefore have an equivalent rate of 100% the usual rate of encountering a "bad" person. You're literally right back where you started, but now the matchmaking has a giant intertwining mesh of blocks it needs to work around, making the matches actually worse than where you began.

That may have been somewhat complex, but basically it means that blocking actually gets you nothing, because if everyone uses the feature, ultimately nobody benefits. You could attribute it to a sort of subtle, large-scale "Prisoner's Dilemma", where if everyone blocks for their own benefit, everyone ends up worse off for it.

It also often promoted "block and forget" over reporting misbehavior, which is a problem as then the "bad" people stay in circulation.