Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: We need MOAR maps
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 pm 

Mes wrote:
Yeah because making a new map is totally doable within 5-8 business days.

May I remind you of the following:

- Starstorm, AI 205 and Aiguillon all took months to actually create (AI 205 maybe less so because it wasn't a brand new "from-scratch" map, but still)
- they all had...erghm, mixed reviews, after finally being released (partly because of Ronma dropping the ball with using the feedback, at least with Starstorm, but still)

Then people would just complain that there's no new meaningful content while we wait for the new maps and once those theoretical new maps would come out...People are gonna complain to high hell anyway.
Y'all don't know what you want, basically. :shrug:

Did I DUCKING say that it would be doable in a couple of days? I'm fine with a new map taking 3+ months to create.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 pm 

GuyBrush wrote:
We don't need new maps. See Starstorm as to why.
allstarsniper32 wrote:
I'd rather they fix the current maps rather than adding more.

Aguillon
Starstorm

All need to be fixed. Now, if they want nauts to be a purely casual game that doesn't have a dedicated ranked mode, only Starstorm and Aguillon need to be fixed.

As far as Aguillon goes, they really just need to remove the stealth orb.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:36 pm 

ArchieBuld wrote:
I think what we really need now is a polish/balance patch, after that we can move to other issues.

Yes plz

Luckytime wrote:
We could set a date when everyone agrees not to play nauts for 24 hours. That would be sure to get their attention.

Soon it will happen naturally and you don't even have to tell people to do that.

On topic: The AI station 404 is still here waiting to be reworked and that would take much less time to do because of all the art being already done.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm 

rybakowsky wrote:
On topic: The AI station 404 is still here waiting to be reworked and that would take much less time to do because of all the art being already done.

I and Diz Hydron already reworked the map and we are still waiting about ronimo to give us their opinion about it.

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive

CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag

_olaffff wrote:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:15 pm 

Doppelganger wrote:
rybakowsky wrote:

I and Diz Hydron already reworked the map and we are still waiting about ronimo to give us their opinion about it.

I checked you're rework, which seemed pretty nice. Wonder why Ronimo has not done it already.. With that they could put it back to ranked.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 pm 

Doppelganger wrote:
rybakowsky wrote:

Good luck with that.

Link?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46759&p=703920&hilit=AI+404#p703920

there

edit : directed to rybanowsky mb

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive

CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag

_olaffff wrote:

Last edited by Doppelganger on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:44 pm 

The amount of effort that might go into creating a map isn't as much as it used to be, now that the tools have been polished up.

But honestly, it would be a bit of a waste of time and resources for Ronimo to design a new map from scratch, when they could let the playerbase do a good portion of the work for them.

As it stands, I'm not sure if any custom map has reached the kind of critical mass of support where it would make sense to do up an official version of it. It seems to me that most of the current custom maps are more "fun" or "creative" or "outside of the box" than they are "well balanced" or "competitively deep." And I think this is mostly because custom maps are, almost by necessity, relegated to their own little corner that is very removed from the overall playerbase. As opposed to a game like Unreal Tournament, or Counter Strike, where the server host picks the map, and therefore map preference can quickly propagate throughout the community, we have a matchmaker that doesn't have that kind of flexibility. Yes, you can create custom lobbies, but in practice this doesn't reach any substantial number of players.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Ronimo periodically browses custom maps looking for ones that might work well as stock maps, and/or players submit potential stock maps to Ronimo.
  2. Certain prerequisites would need to be met for any submission, such as working AI nodes, working shop doors, etc. Additionally, some form of quality control would be necessary to weed out buggy or otherwise problematic submissions.
  3. At a certain recurring date, say for example every Saturday of the week, approved custom maps are mixed in to the regular map rotation.
  4. In the event that one of these custom maps gains a critical mass of support from the playerbase, it is then uplifted by Ronimo to become a new official map.

Besides helping with the creation of new maps, having these kinds of events is exactly the kind of thing needed to keep the game fresh and retain players.

Last edited by hurleybird on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:24 pm 

hurleybird wrote:
Besides helping with the creation of new maps, having these kinds of events is exactly the kind of thing needed to keep the game fresh and retain players.

I have to agree.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 am 

I'd love to see a fully fleshed out version of Sorona Express done by ronimo with drill cores on either end

they showed this in a stream a couple weeks ago - it's pretty sweet.

https://youtu.be/xGm_8LCZh1o?t=49m58s