Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Does Awesomenauts have enough characters? (Vote)
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:55 am 

Im fine with new nauts if they are not annoying to play against

Dumb nauts memes

Number #1 Commander Rocket hater

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:48 pm 

I agree pretty much with the points OP mentions; there is no "normal" gameplay anymore, as the games balance keeps shifting constantly and new nauts arrive before I am used to the previous ones.

That said, I am not nearly as annoyed by this as OP, and I can also look at this the way "new enemies" come at later stages in single player games. From casual point of playing, this keeps game fresh, when you constantly get new "enemies" to face and learn new ways to fight. From competetive perspective, this is a mess of course though.

I dont mind getting new nauts, but if I could choose, Id rather get new premium skills for my favourite old nauts instead. And new maps, gamemodes, leaderboards etc. of course...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:12 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
I have to disagree with the idea that Ronimo are doing this to keep the game from stagnating.

They are doing it, from what it seems, to generate short-term, cash-grab opportunities. Now, I appreciate that it is a business and they do need revenue, but there are far better ways to do so than relying entirely on the immediate returns from spamming 'Nauts.

Like, say, not cutting all of the sales generated from the game itself by going F2P and then ruining any positive effect that decision had in the long run by launching it with precisely zero support for the new players despite what had been predicted.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:09 pm 

The more new nauts they add the more old nauts dosen't get needed attention with tweaking/reworking/making things interesting. I have often had a feeling "let's play some old naut that I have never played much", it felt exciting to start something new but every time I ended up ethier bored or dissapointed (or both). You would say that I can still play new nauts to try keep myself entertained but no, nauts like Scoop, Rocco (after the nerf), Ksenia were actualy cool but this new trash we get now is just sad. Old nauts need to be looked at (to make then more interesting and fresh, not easier like derpl and yuri), old maps need to be looked at, we have huge potential in custom/modded gamemodes that is lying somewhere in the corner being useless, we have boring and passive progression system, we have * leaderboards and we have insane gring for f2p players to get nauts with AP. All of this needs to be looked at. They are making the same mistakes 10 times and still not learning form it. You would say it's an indie developer and they can make mistakes, of course you can after 2 yeras but not after 5.

Luckytime wrote:
They've gotten good at making characters, there's no denying that

???

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:51 am 

Very much a "for now" statement. I'd love to see more characters but right now there are a lot of problems with specific 'nauts/maps that have become unbarable.
Had you asked me this before Smiles' release I would've probably said that the game needs more characters.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am 

Nope. Awesomenauts has no where near enough nauts.

The problem with Awesomenauts is that the only thing coming out is new nauts. I play a game called Smite, and in that there's a new playable character once a month. But they also have 2 patches per month and those patches have item tweaks, new skins, and whatever else they get. Other games in a similar genre have even more characters.

Also, you cannot have a game that's team based fighting and never have meta shifts. That would make the game get real dull real fast. Meta shifts keep things fresh.

Nauts pretty much needs a bigger team. They need a team to make new nauts, a team to make new skins and character overhauls, a team to balance characters and items, and since they have multiple maps a team to do various map stuff.

To make it clear, I don't think nauts needs to have new nauts coming out once a month at this time. Ronimo needs to balance things and hope that the game gets a bigger player base.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 am 

Luckytime wrote:
So what does a constant supply of new characters mean? Well, the meta will never stay the same long enough for anyone to have fun with the game. I can't take this game seriously knowing the meta is just going to shift in another month, and none of the old characters are getting adjusted to fit into the new meta (which has lately been Ix/Smiles style displacement followed up by a team collapse).

I especially agree with this paragraph that Ronimo doesn't seem to understand...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:56 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Well, at time of writing—with 221 votes cast—the consensus, by a wide margin, seems to be that Ronimo should focus more on improving what they already have, instead of continually adding to the pile of unworkable things that will need to be* balanced in the future anyway.

Of course, this is literally the prime opportunity for someone at Ronimo to respond to this thread to acknowledge this, while at the same time beginning to improve communication. Two-for-one!

* will need to be here not synonymous with will actually be.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Well, at time of writing—with 221 votes cast—the consensus, by a wide margin, seems to be that Ronimo should focus more on improving what they already have, instead of continually adding to the pile of unworkable things that will need to be* balanced in the future anyway.

Of course, this is literally the prime opportunity for someone at Ronimo to respond to this thread to acknowledge this, while at the same time beginning to improve communication. Two-for-one!

* will need to be here not synonymous with will actually be.

Amen :worship:

I hope they read this and reconsider their plans

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:12 pm 

there's only 3 nauts I want:
a dinosaur, the robotic ninja monkey (unless it becomes a skin for yuri) and a joke naut in the style the character * from skullgirls. not a straight up clone because even characters like ksenia. who are very unique would get backlash for basically being "a worse leon" when she was launched. All of the characters I feel, are extremely unique and I don't recall a time where i've ever though. -hey, this is just a copy of this other naut I play! Just a good naut with a horrible concept is what I mean by this. (that isn't rocket's renegades)

Diversity helps make competitive games feel fresh and usually the best way to do this is to just release more characters, doesn't even matter if they are balanced, just as long as they are different, the game will feel diverse. Ronimo however does both these things which result in a negative effect towards the multiplayer aspect of the game. they release characters too different to what the Ideal design should be which results in a general disconnetion with the better designed nauts, and they release too many characters which makes the worse designed nauts feel even more disconnected from the game than they already were, and the result?
I'd say its a good time to stop. maybe temporarily, maybe permanently. the game has some more important things to take care of, and ronimo seems to understand this as they have delayed the Qi'tara launch for now.
I do have a general bias towards new nauts to play. but honestly when was the last time anyone seriously said: ¡wow! i'm so glad this character exists! And kept that opinion for more than 5 minutes before getting queued against them and seeing the hotfix one day later?
I'm gonna vote to stop adding more nauts because I don't want to see nauts get the clone syndrome smash bros games have.
TLDR
1: ronimo is honestly great at designing nauts, the unique designs make the game feel extremely diverse and replayable even without a huge roster of playable characters, but they aren't good at mannaging betas. they don't communicate enough during these, there's not enough people participating in them to help the developers balance the characters and there's not enough time to allow for a satisfying and balanced release.
2:The current cast is large and interesting enough to make the idea of releasing more characters seem pointless, even when the nobelty is much appreciated universally.
3:It would probably be a good idea to continue releasing a few more characters once the main problems of the game are fixed but for now. yeah lets stop right at Qi'tara. (or a support naut who's main heal tool doesn't feel like an off heal)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/recipefortheperfectafro/