Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: why aren't brawls available all the time?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 pm 

When I heard they were going to be limited time, I figured that meant something along the lines of "this ruleset will be available for 7 days, then a new ruleset will come into play".

I logged in to play some brawls today but it looks like they aren't available for a couple days? Why?

What is their intended schedule?

Post subject: Re: why aren't brawls available all the time?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm 

robochase6000 wrote:
When I heard they were going to be limited time, I figured that meant something along the lines of "this ruleset will be available for 7 days, then a new ruleset will come into play".

I logged in to play some brawls today but it looks like they aren't available for a couple days? Why?

What is their intended schedule?

This is just like the Hearthstone Brawl.
It is a game mode with changing rule set that is available for about 4 days a week. So the mode feels fresh and it being a limited time encourages more people to play the mode when it is available and it also makes sure that the community is not split all of the time between the two mods. Ronimo made a replay in the brawl feedback thread.

I like that it is limited, it makes looking forward to it on the weekend really fun!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

i thought the idea was that, in addition to the main game, you're given a gimmick mode whose ruleset changes every week
there shouldn't be downtimes

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:13 pm 

If there are no downtimes, people will get burnt out on the game mode and won't keep coming back to it. If people don't play the game mode, the game mode won't have enough players playing it at any given time and it'll turn into "online vs bots" V2 where no one actually plays the game mode.

Scheduled game times also focus the player base to one game mode over the other so there's no eternal segregation of matchmaking. This way the game can consistently have a strong player base for the MMS to work with in both game modes. At least until the player base is large enough to satisfy both game modes at once.

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 pm 

people get burnt out by the main mode because it's always the same
brawls change every week and provide an experience the main game can't

did the brawl's existence really negative impact the traffic going into the main game?
this game is finally experiencing an increase in player count again and i'm pretty sure that keeping brawls open would help it

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 pm 

kathy wrote:
people get burnt out by the main mode because it's always the same
brawls change every week and provide an experience the main game can't

did the brawl's existence really negative impact the traffic going into the main game?
this game is finally experiencing an increase in player count again and i'm pretty sure that keeping brawls open would help it

We don't know how many brawls the devs have already planned so they may rotate repeats fairly often so if we were to keep it all week, it would make it feel stale faster. Honestly, i'm fine with the Hearthstone formula. Also, a lot of what Hero and Diz Hydron said about the playerbase, queue times and sense of urgency applies. It's done wonders for player retention (and attention) for HS so hopefully it will work the same way here. Hopefully.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:58 pm 

kathy wrote:

I can say first hand that yes it certainly did. I mean before, I got mediocre teammates when playing solo before brawls were a thing but they merely played poorly. Now when brawls are active and I solo, I get teammates who both played poorly and build absolutely painfully.

Some examples: Leon bought no damage until 12 minutes into the game. Coco who bank rushes into blind and kuri mammoth against Ksenia, Dizzy and Genji. Vinnie who first maxes out his bubble row, then get's RCG before maxing out utility.

I mean, you should never play regular nauts unless you have a full team anyways if you don't want to have a soul-wrenching experinace that forces you to use the few nauts who can solo carry. Solo queue is only good in league 1. It's absolutely awful for the other 97% of the player base.

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:03 pm 

randoms didn't seem any worse for me when brawls were active
randoms are always irredeemably trash