Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: An incentive to be nice.
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm 

This laid back "you can't do anything about it" attitude and "we're not so bad in comparison" is another problem as well. You can always discourage bad behavior and encourage the good. Honor systems and growing punishments for poor manners help and would be a nice starting point. Give us some medals for being commended as a good player and some people would surely clean up their demeanor.

Even outside actual in-game systems, you yourself can help not make other players feel like garbage. Lay off that godforsaken taunt button. Compliment good plays from both sides. Someone's got a funny name? Compliment that! Try a bit more beyond the standard "gg" or "wp." Every little bit that isn't outright flaming has the potential to be pleasant and making other players feel good.

Being a good person isn't some colossal effort and we shouldn't be discouraging it.
We also shouldn't be encouraging bad behavior with a frickin' taunt button with the only way to disable it being to disable all communication with the player.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 pm 

There are a few games that are trying out this new system that completely eradicates all toxicity from the game. Maybe nauts can give it a shot?

I think it's called a mute, block and report feature. :shrug:

Jokes aside, blocks should be a thing again.

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
I am getting very sinister feelings from this "validate my niceness so I can exhibit how much of a good person I am to all of my friends" thing.

I am half-expecting the words "those who fall below a set threshold of 'niceness' will be subject to termination" to burst from my screen along with a copy of 1984.

Your ability to be decent should be self-evidencing, not represented by an incrementing number.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 pm 

As bumbling as Ronimo can be at times, I severely doubt they'd do something as insanely drastic as that, Protector. :chucho:

It's just meant to be an incentive to be nice. Right now there are literally no tools in the game aside from chat to interact in a positive way with other players. There's a blatantly negative one, but even discussing it tends to spiral out of control here.
I don't see a problem with doing stuff like honor points or even chat/voice commands for nice things like "Thanks!" and "Good job!"
Will people just farm honor points for a possible medal? Sure! But they'll have to be nice to get it and maybe even keep it.

And yes. Mute and report are things, but we're not talking about blocking out the negative players. (we'd lose half the forum community if we did so! :lolstar: ) It would be nice if mute went back to being a single click in the tab screen though instead of having to stop absolutely everything to deal with a rotten player.
We're talking about getting the ones that have the potential to be nicer an opportunity and incentive to do so.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Boy Skylark wrote:
Will people just farm honor points for a possible medal? Sure! But they'll have to be nice to get it and maybe even keep it.

...or they will join games with their friends and everyone will commend everyone else, farming the points, destroying their meaning, and replicating Dota down to the detailing.

However, more voice commands might be nice, although that actually is a fair amount of work on Ronimo's part that I can sympathise with.

Nekomian wrote:

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 pm 

but being toxic is fun and funny

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Boy Skylark wrote:

...or they will join games with their friends and everyone will commend everyone else, farming the points, destroying their meaning, and replicating Dota down to the detailing.

However, more voice commands might be nice, although that actually is a fair amount of work on Ronimo's part that I can sympathise with.

... or you put in a limit of only being able to get 1 commendation from a person a day. So even with six friends all boosting each other, they'd only be able to get six points a day. To get a decent amount of points and progress towards a medal that needs something like 500 points or something, that would take literally days or multiple dummy accounts which is far more work than I'd think people would bother with.

Why are you so dedicated to trying to paint this as a negative thing though? Or are you just trying to play devil's advocate?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 pm 

Boy Skylark wrote:
Why are you so dedicated to trying to paint this as a negative thing though? Or are you just trying to play devil's advocate?

The latter: it is a good way to ensure things are well designed.

As you can see, we have already solved a problem between us that apparently every single member of Valve combined could not—that is progress.

Six friends boosting each other would be five a day, though, unless you can commend yourself. I hope that would not be possible.

I cannot really think of anything else to add to this idea, so I will just sit here quietly, watching.

Nekomian wrote:

NekiCoule wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am 

Its really annoying to keep losing lots of games because your teammates dont know what to do. I rarely let the salt flow on ingame chat but i can understand why some players are so toxic.

Also its really funny to see salty players cry on chat

Winning games is nearly impossible for me

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 am 

Fine tuning the system is a separate matter...but It CAN be be done successfully though. Like only being able to vote in battle mode. or make it so you can only vote once on a certain player. (That way the jerks don't spam negative)

The world has fought many things, and together we can defeat anything. Even salt. :drool:

My Awesomenauts Blog!

TWO-FOUR-SIX-EIGHT: PUT SOME COOKIES ON MY PLATE