Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: An incentive to be nice.
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
SandyDragginz wrote:
...But you don't' know how toxic someone can be until they speak their first word...and by then the damage is done...

This is true for literally every single human being someone could ever feasibly meet in their lifetime, yet we do not walk around wearing earplugs and staring at the floor to avoid the possibility of ever being offended by anything, do we? I hope not.

Is it not possibly to mute people if they start being toxic—or pre-emptively, if you want to avoid the possibility entirely?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am 

The internet and real life are very much different in terms of how you deal with the same situation...wearing earplugs or turning off chat...but we are still real people using it...and that's where the two worlds become linked.

anyway back to what you said...of course it's possible. but what hurts the most is that the toxic person is getting an audience. And being surrounded by a maximum of 5 people who are silently laughing at you dosen't make it hurt any less.

My Awesomenauts Blog!

TWO-FOUR-SIX-EIGHT: PUT SOME COOKIES ON MY PLATE

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm 

SandyDragginz wrote:
Anyway the only reason I still play is because I've made alot of great friends in this game...and i want to make more. I just hate having to tread through the poison to get there.

Welcome to life, you need downs to have ups.

It's quite unfortunate that it's this way, but I always remembered that whenever there was no fluctuation (e.g. no bad) enjoyment starts high but slowly drains downwards... And some people try to deal with it by turning into troublemakers.
And then ofc it's the mods' job to deal with it.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 pm 

thats an utopic idea, its not gonna work in real life.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 pm 

This thread is more annoying to me than anything else. If you're actually, truly offended by anything a random person online says about you then I think you need to think some things through especially when there are measures put in place to block contact with them.

Mes wrote:
I think this might be going deeper than people in this thread are realizing.

No, you're making it deeper for no reason other than to give a lecture on human psychology.

SandyDragginz wrote:
But being called an idiot and a piece of "Zork" because of a Video game is absolutely horrendous and I'm not going to stand for it. I deal with enough depression and self hatred in my real life. And i deal with the same type of people at work because they think they're better than everyone else...or just mad because they really aren't...either way it's not my business. It's just people forcing it to be your business...in awesomenauts at least...unless you turn chat off or mute. But you don't' know how toxic someone can be until they speak their first word...and by then the damage is done.

This kinda blows my mind because it speaks to home a bit but I just don't fully understand it.

Let's step out of nauts for a sec, talk to you as a person and debate about how awful both of our lives are, because that's what emotionally unstable people (like me) revel in - having someone in an equally crap situation to relate to so you don't feel alone. In my eyes I have an awful life. I have a job I don't like that I'm forced to do in order to keep income, I'm not independent, I don't currently have a love life, I feel like I'm incompetent at most things. Finding solutions to these problems is not easy for me, but I'm working on it and gradually things have got better and I'm hopeful for the future.

Now, my escape from this reality has always been online as with many other people. I think the internet is the most incredible thing humans have ever created and by extension, I have a lot of fun mingling with people and playing games with them. Despite not being happy, I truly can't understand how a random online person who you have no connection to can offend you through typing. I get that random people can hurt you in real life because of social norms and it becomes a lot more hard hitting there -- trust me, as someone who has come out recently as being gay, this gets at me more than anything and I'm still learning to deal with it.

What I'm really trying to understand is how toxicity from people you've never even seen affects you, I can't believe someones situation being that fragile. Other people use online as an escape too and it's only natural they use it to vent when they have nowhere else to do it. You're escaping into a medium where people can't get at you, and if it still does hurt you then I'd suggest learning to deal with it as a stepping stone to make yourself more resilient for the future. Use the mute function, forget it ever happened and move on, that's all you need to do.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:56 pm 

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm 

Dr. Sam

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm 

if you believe in online friends being real friends at all, i don't know how you can't understand how people would be frustrated by bad behavior and abusive chat
interactions don't stop being legitimate just because people aren't in the same room

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm 

Welcome to the mental collapse of the forums

Not Ted McPain!
wodny wrote:
Alijar stop drinking that rocket fuel :think:
Jakob wrote:
Alijar pls :aylaroll:
Xelrog wrote:
Alijar's sig is the cheapest realty around. It's the trailer park of the Awesomenauts forums

Serving up Smiles everywhere

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 pm 

To answer your question, Sam, is that people who play well and are legends at this game, become surrounded by friends and people who want to interact with them, my goal has always been to spread the word that you can be a nice player, and a good one. And doing bad always brought out the worst in me because I get so provoked by other people...and the thought that I'm faili g to now be a nice person makes it more difficult. Everyone has reasons for why things effect them. I honestly wish I could let it all go and treat nauts like any other video game...like super Mario bros. Lol.

My Awesomenauts Blog!

TWO-FOUR-SIX-EIGHT: PUT SOME COOKIES ON MY PLATE