Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: So, free skins
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:27 pm 

do you really actually think that the only value in a skin is that you're one of the special few who has it

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm 

Apparently, you and I buy skins for very different reasons Shizzmayway. I buy them because I think they look cool and want to use them. Skins for me at least have never lost their value just because other people own them. I still use some very old, outdated skins because I like the skin itself.

I mean if the whole reason you get skins is for the sake of getting something special than it's pretty much you that's shooting yourself in the foot here placing value on the rarity of something that is accessible to anyone willing to pay. You could try to get something that isn't behind a paywall if the value of things you own depends on how common the thing is. If you want to go for special things, try and get a duck or something instead of something literally anyone can access.

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Buying skins was always the way that most players supported Ronimo (outside of the Starstorm Kickstarter, but that was hardly the norm). By releasing them for free, not only do they demonstrate that the short-term appeal of a "free thing" is more important to them than this particular feeling of community support, but it also does not seem to be a particularly clever business strategy—especially considering how talented the artists are.

Although these free skins are not really the end of the world as some people feel, it would have been better to produce new ones to release for free. They could have been birthday-themed and it would have been great.

I wonder, would you all be fine if the Kickstarter-exclusive skins were released for free (or put on the store), despite them being exclusive in the first place?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm 

To bounce off of something that TLP was saying, might this be a sign of the opposite effect for Ronimo? I mean they could be throwing free skins out there in a last-ditch effort to save the game, but at the same time, this could be a sign that they can afford to provide free skins to hype the game up.

Maybe they are raking in so much dough that they are making it rain in skins. :jimmy:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:59 pm 

I admire your ability to stay stupidly optimistic :tear:

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 am 

Gameinsky wrote:

Prefer someone being narcissic and stupidly optimistic like ORB?
at least he doesn't create topics with the replay ID missing.

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive

CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag

_olaffff wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 am 

Doppelganger wrote:
Gameinsky wrote:

Prefer someone being narcissic and stupidly optimistic like ORB?
at least he doesn't create topics with the replay ID missing.

He also didn't deviate from the topic to attack other people's character quality :CocoWink:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:07 pm 

At least some medals for those who bought starstorm (non-kickstarter) and overdrive would be nice.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:16 pm 

Sam! wrote:
At least some medals for those who bought starstorm (non-kickstarter) and overdrive would be nice.

I'd like to have the original prestige icons back honestly, not in the medal format as it is honestly terrible for them. Just the original badges without rarities and the colour schemes they once had.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:56 pm 

looks like Ronimo doesn't need the money or players at all, i'm willing to wait even more time for free skins rather than buy them now

i bought skins because they hold value, because not everyone had them, because they looked cool. Now if everyone can have them they are not really valuable or special anymore, it doesn't bother me, i'm not a bum, i earn my money and i can spend it on whatever i want, no need to beg for free items or scavenge for f2p games, but when a potential investment clearly will lose it's value then it's not going to be worth any sort of money

this is the reason i don't throw money at this game anymore, i was part of the kickstarter, i was part of Overdrive preorder and i bought every skin before f2p, now that the game has lost value, and i mean this in the literal sense, no one is interested in it, even when it stopped being fun to play the simple value of everything i paid for made me return to it, now? the skilless and the pennyless can get their hand in as much items, there is nothing to comeback to

f2p was never the solution, the value of it, this is why people go to great lengths to pay for Overwatch which isn't even that good of a game, this is why people let games like Evolve die, because it disrespected the people who invested on them and clearly had nothing good to offer to new players

Human nature 101: People never will care for things that are at the reach of their hand, stuff that they can grab and throw as many times as they like because they value nothing, they want stuff worth something, it's the reason why skins were still worth anything at all, it's why the game could still hold before f2p, it had value, now? now it isn't worth anything, literally

just a quick "ib4 the game is still fun", you can entertain yourself as much with a stick, your hands or a walk, whatever someone declares "fun" certainly falls under their individual concept, just as a reminder, everytime someone says the game is still fun, just go back to the numbers and think about all the people who owned Awesomenauts before f2p which wasn't a few even if the active ones were, and how many people owns it now and still the number drops, that is not a fun game"

"Time to chew butt and kick tobacco"