Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Public relations and interactions
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 am 

Hoy :worship:

Let's step aside the general main topics about how the game could've been improved if this or that was not implemented. In fact I think every decision made was good and only turned bad because of a lack of audience.

What I do not want to discuss here
- Awesomenauts FREE MOBA Meme
- Unchangable mechanics/names/artstyle
- Lack of updates and not kept promises
- Dev breaks and/or broken characters

Instead I was discussing on stream why 'Nauts was not more popular and what could be the reason despite having dedicated oldies and the potential to be way bigger.
The main reason I think is not having an old age game or some mayor and minor flaws, but having no outside relation what so ever.

Let's see what we got so far:
- Finished Kickstarter Projects with stretch goals
- A lot of sales when the game was not F2P
- Appearance on GC 2017
- Appearance on different small indie games
- Less crowded social media accounts
- A handfull streamers occasionally hitting max.100 views

So far so good. It looks like a solid base for some relations and public appearance.
What caugt my eye was there is no longterm appearance. A lot of PR was done in short time and only made a difference for a couple of days recently. The only thing to look forward to is either Streamisho to gain free skins or Playermade tournaments.

And there is where my thoughts connect:

I think the game needs dedication throughout a year with a tournament plan and more outside relating tournaments.

Right now every tourney made is hosted by the normal playerbase, announced on the official forums and stick to the nauts twitch or rarely to youtube.
I think going more public here can be a good way.

It must be possible to insert nauts to ESL, making gather games for an outside ranking or having selfhosted tourneys.
There will be people stalking for a chance to get good in a game and see low population in a game. Also people will see that the community for this game is not dead yet and you can still achieve something with it. They will see that it did not stop being a MOBA and it did not start being a casual game.

And now people might say:
Quote:
"But Sly! There are just a bunch of good people playing for the title"

There will be more when it is more official, there will be more if there is bigger prizepools and reputation to earn. Also not all of the competitive players need to be the best. We might want to add a Gauntlet mode where you can get into "L1" team ranking for higher prizepools.
Heck, the prizes are not the important thing. It is the online appearance and showcase that you did something big that is showcased somewhere dedicated and not only in the game.

Right now I think that being L1 only has a self accomplishment comparable to the feeling of getting a platinum trophy on ps4.
Being toptier on a 3rd party platform with your favorite game however feels like getting interviewed by a reporter for being a good football player.

Say yes to bigger and more outside-based tournaments and ranking
I'd love it
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :tear: *such beautiful*

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:
We'll think about also muting the team commands.

Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about punching a cat

Please don't punch a cat.

Post subject: Re: Public relations and interactions
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
sLy wrote:
...A lot of sales when the game was not F2P

sLy wrote:
...turned bad because of a lack of audience.

Clarify.

Awesomenuauts was never going to have a booming, $24,787,916 competitive scene like Dota, but I agree that it might have been better from Ronimo's point of view to actually put some money towards the tournaments that their players funded and hosted in their absence.

It would have been a gesture of appreciation for trying to keep what little competitive scene we had (have?) alive.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:49 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
sLy wrote:
...A lot of sales when the game was not F2P

sLy wrote:
...turned bad because of a lack of audience.

Clarify.

This game was 90%off half of its pay2play time. Also every steam sale it had reasonable good skin sale prices.

Also there were a lot of discussions already about topics like "we do not get any audience because of
Quote:
bad artstyle
or
Quote:
a stupid name

I think something like this can only be "bad" if there is noone supporting it. E.g. if the game would be DotA2 ultimate 24mio price pool-like then noone would brag about the name. same goes for artstyle or other decisions made that are not meta.

It is not "bad" just because it is different, but people tend to compare it to successful versions and call the other a "ripoff" or "poor version of x" even though making something unique.

[quote"The Lord Protector"] [...] [/quote]
I think the will of competition is here, otherwise there would be no self-hosted tournament at all. To achieve this next "step" we need help from Ronimo. Also they need to actively want it and keep it up to date. They need to work for and with it. Might be a problem if they gave up their hopes :shrug:
@Romna prove me wrong :raehands:

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am 

The artstyle is the draw of the game fyi, Saturday morning cartoon feel which makes it unique compared to edgy or sex appeal filled games (not to say nauts doesn't have sex appeal, just some games advertise it more widely.) Also don't even bother trying to make a comment about how we 'need to actively want it' for competitive funding, when I was working on Rumble alongside Pillow, Mimi and numerous others Pillow on several occasions had hinted or asked for some funding more than just skin codes for giveaways. We never received any (and if we did it wasn't too much,) so tournament funds came straight out of Pillow's pocket.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:08 am 

Slevens wrote:
The artstyle is the draw of the game fyi, Saturday morning cartoon feel which makes it unique compared to edgy or sex appeal filled games .

Wow there. I did not dislike anything about the other stuff. I actually said I like the decisions made but did not want to have those topics be part of this discussion.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:39 pm 

literally the reason i got into this game was that a friend was constantly nagging me to play it and eventually bought me a copy of it
i couldn't take it seriously due to the name and kept confusing it with psychonauts, and never liked the art style at all

i thought that being a moba that doesn't suck would be the appeal of this game

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:24 pm 

Quote:
I think the will of competition is here, otherwise there would be no self-hosted tournament at all. To achieve this next "step" we need help from Ronimo. Also they need to actively want it and keep it up to date. They need to work for and with it. Might be a problem if they gave up their hopes

thats all been done lol

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 pm 

Location: Legends say he now resides in a cave, (waiting for someone to challenge him)
kathy wrote:
literally the reason i got into this game was that a friend was constantly nagging me to play it and eventually bought me a copy of it
i couldn't take it seriously due to the name and kept confusing it with psychonauts, and never liked the art style at all

i thought that being a moba that doesn't suck would be the appeal of this game

That's me!...except I bought it myself with DLC's and my friend got me AOE II

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

http://steamcommunity.com/id/recipefortheperfectafro/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 pm 

Tournaments wont help anything

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 am 

I'd love to see tournament on a bigger scale as well. But I'm doubtful on how successful it would be.

Especially since the only ones who would stand a chance at winning this tournament are veterans who already know the game. Heck, at this point, even a L3/L4 with only 200 hours in the game would stand more chance of winning the tournament than any outsider.

If there's an actual prize pool provided by Ronimo, the only people it will attract are the same as ever ; all the veterans that are in L2 and above. I think we're kind of stuck in this situation in which a tiny playerbase are gods in the game, and the others can't reach out to them, so we're stuck in having this tiny elite playerbase forever. Initiatives like the beginner tourney might have helped, but by how much, i have no idea exactly.

If anything, the most important for me before making a heavily-advertized (to the outside world) tourney, would be to make all the veterans of the previous competitive scene come back somehow. Watching competitive dudes perform godlike moves, that was one of my incentive to keep playing Awesomenauts back in the days.

Such a tourney, to be successful and actually bring back the veterans, would need to be officially supported by Ronimo. As in, Ronimo should make Steam Announcements about it, and it should have a special allocated place somewhere in the menu that has nothing to do with the Carousel. Everyone should be aware that this tournament exists without having to check the forums. Perhaps even changing the background picture for Swiggins holding his cup! Something, anything over than some random picture in the Carousel that stays there for a couple of seconds and then go.

It should also be officially organized by Ronimo, with support from volunteers. When it's organized by a group of volunteers, it's cool ; but when it's organized personally by the game company, it's something else entirely and much more sexy.

The prize doesn't even need to be that large. Even something as low as $300 for the winning team (that's like, even less than a week of salary!) would do the trick, with skins & what not for the others in the podium.

This could be a good move to make all the vets come back, and make it live again. I could see this happen a couple of weeks after the release of Qi'Tara, when the game is in a balanced (as in, non-broken) state.

Or am I dreaming too much? :drool: