Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Can we and should we have spear lady or the owls?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 am 

I mean, instead of Ix. :ixsad:

For those of you who are confused: Ix the Interloper was the "winner" of the second Create-a-Naut contest... except not really. For the vast majority of the contest Valentina the ancient spear-weilding warrior and Ow Ling & Ow Lei the switching twins from the True Talon monastary were neck and neck in the lead, with Ix ehhhh... somewhere in the middle. :derp:
Then the unthinkable *to anyone missing a brain happened: the voting was (supposedly) rigged! :blabl:
Because of the huge war between Val and Ling/Lei, and because Ronimo had the genius idea of having the voting be based on Facebook likes instead of (I dunno) any other considerably more secure voting method ever, some people decided to get like bots to massively inflate the voting numbers on those two entries to an absolutely comical degree. (I mean, going on the Facebook you can see Val with 540 likes, owls with 491 likes, and Ix a good runner up with 351 likes.) The story then goes that Ronimo pulled the plug on the entire Facebook voting operation and disqualified spear lady/owls because... well thanks for cheating. :thumb: :facepalm:

And now as we all know we have Ix.
One of the most problematic and most hated *by the professional community characters in this game.
Now I mean no hate towards conorbebe or Pixel Hat (though Pixel has far less blame for Ix's current state :P) but Ix is not balanced. Whenever balance discussions on Ix are brought up the words "good" or "fair" are hardly ever used. Ix has more invulnerability frames than Froggy G and is able to control himself while invulnerable, has an essentially unavoidable player displacement ability that also paints a giant "shoot here my idiot allies" target where the enemy will arrive (that also gives himself and the targeted player invul. frames :thumb: :facepalm:), ally healing (+providing invul. frames and saving from danger), good mobility, and good damage to boot.

I know it's unrealistic to say "remove (X)", because there are players who genuinely enjoy Ix for things beyond cheap wins, and a ton of people who bought skin(s) for him. A lot of work went into adding him into the game, and it would obviously be unfair to conor + Pixel to tell them two years later that "oh btw we're removing your contest winning stuff from the game lol xd get cucked."
But did Ronimo make the wrong choice by telling the (taking Ix's vote count as an example) ~350 people who really wanted Val or Ling/Lei to be added that "lol xd 5 people rigged the votes so the other ~345 of you get cucked and stuck with this green rock." Should they have ignored the vote rigging at risk of saying "yes this is okay" and added the actual community favorite, or was putting their foot down by taking the runner up really the best option?

And should Ronimo consider adding Valentina or Ling/Lei to the modern roster, just to see how they'd compare to Ix? Personally I think Valentina would be a great addition but I was always #TeamVal anyways.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post subject: Re: Can we and should we have spear lady or the owls?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:51 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
They are currently busy re-releasing Ksenia.

Give it time.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:34 am 

Owls wouldn't work. Reflect is buggy enough so a parry would just never work with ping more than 20.

+ the gameplay would be extremely tedious having to move both into lane every time.

Valentina however would be an amazing naut.

Ronma pls

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:13 am 

ronimo's rewording and strict character limit didn't represent the valentina i wanted :(
the timed flight mechanic (with yuri jetpack button) was something i really wanted in the game too

i swear i posted a thread fully explaining my ideas for valentina somewhere (lord protector go find it pls)

Last edited by kathy on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:09 am 

eddster27 wrote:
Owls wouldn't work. Reflect is buggy enough so a parry would just never work with ping more than 20.

+ the gameplay would be extremely tedious having to move both into lane every time.

Ronma pls

I thought that the owl twins would work like ice climbers but the one following would be invulnerable.

Also add Valentina. she's waaaaaaay more fun than current dix.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 am 

Owls was and still is the dumbest idea I've ever heard relating to Awesomenauts. It would never work. Val was solid. Instead pure cancer won.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 am 
Adminaut

I don't think Ix is all that bad mechanically, especially compared to some other characters in the game. Right now he's busted af, but with some more impactful nerfs to his brawling and a little more focus put into his ability as a support I honestly think he'd be fine.

I voted for Val in both the first and second polls and I still believe she'd be an incredibly welcome addition to the game's cast. Since she was the rightful winner of the first poll and Ix won the second poll, I honestly think both deserve to be in the game.

The owls however, get all my nope.

#MakeNautsMoreLikePong
Mainly playing: Whoever I feel like.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 am 

I can safely say that a good number of the votes I helped rally because I got friends, family and associates alike to help vote because Facebook, Skype, Discord, Steam...etc. So I was honestly annoyed that the first contest went down because it was labeled as being rigged, and then the second voting happened and there was BLATANT cheating but Ix still won.

:shrug:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 am 

add valentina

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 am 

I have quite the opposite feeling than everyone else.

Parts of Valentina's kit have potential, but that's literally all she has. The reason why community likes her is mainly because there are not that many details about her design (outside of kathy telling us so many cool things she could do... what sounds basically like something Peter Molyneux would say to make me wanna buy Fable 4) and everyone just assumes she would be what they want. Which to be honest is something I did myself, both with Valentina and Owls.

However I applaud Owl's design more, because the idea took some actual risks and because, while tideous to some, I actually would love to play them or at least try them in Nauts (Disclaimer - this is coming from someone who mains, is good at and has fun playing Vikings and Abathur in Heroes of the Storm, so I'm just a gimmick maniac).

I've always thought they would work like this, but that's just my line of logic:
  • On start you have two owls, following each other - like Ice Climbers.
  • Lei has a really slow attack that once stops puts Lei in parry state. Basically you hold the button and when you stop you get a quick parry.
  • Ling having AA projectile similar to Penny's bullets.
  • They would follow each other until you use skill 1 setting them on current lane, while they are in statis this can change depending on upgrades bought (For example an upgrade that makes so they can still attack or at least slowly clear droids when in 'stasis'/left alone or use their Skill 2 occasionally, allowing people to setup some crazy kills and combos)
  • After you put an owl in stasis there's no way to go back to Ice Climbers state until one of the owls dies and they'll come back from spawn to follow you again. Could be a bit different with a certain upgrade to make playstyle a bit spicy.
  • Their second skill is self explanatory. A lot of people were against it at the time because of Leon/Swiggins, but I see it more as a 'juggling' mechanic. Imagine setting up two owls next to enemy and just pulling and pushing back and forth. Yes, pushing and pulling are two of the most unreliable mechanics in the game, but I still find them fun if balanced properly.

The being said, it was quite obvious why they didn't win (outside of the whole cheating), I've even tried asking my friends as well to check all the proposed characters and vote for them and yes - most of them didn't like Owls at first.

Owls and Valentina are literal opposites. One had way too much put into it and needed some balancing/testing/changes to make it work in-game. Another already had that figured out, but was way too simple and used mechanics that most people consider cancer in this game. And the winner - Ix is for some combination of both.

I would be more happy with Owls winning, although I know the community wouldn't be.

But all that being said, I have nothing against people who prefered and still prefer either Valentina, Ix, Ghost detective or that one guy no one remembers. Even if most of you say Owls sound like the worst idea ever. And besides, imagine just how much work Ow Ling and Ow Lei would cost Ronimo just so they could get them right.
eddster27 wrote:

[...]

Not to sound rude, but you just contradicted yourself, yknow?

Again, seeing as currently Nauts take a lot of things from Hots, I've always thought it would be like Varian's parry. Lei hits and than enters parry state for a X time. Something that could be used to clear Yuri's mines. But that's just my impression. Basically a quick Deadlift minishield.

GuyBrush wrote:
And should Ronimo consider adding Valentina or Ling/Lei to the modern roster, just to see how they'd compare to Ix?
I see where you're coming from, but no more Nauts after Guitara, Ronimo needs to adress more important parts of the game first.

I'd rather save Owls and Valentina for Awesomenauts 2 coming in 2089.

Still Valentina is more likely to come back, because she's still a good bad meme and discount Cassia at that.

Last edited by Popcioslav on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.