Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: for the survival of this game...
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 am 
Adminaut

I'm not seeing any actual evidence in this topic that region lock would change anything.

There's a couple factors at play to why region lock isn't likely to be all that useful:
1) Not all regions actually connect best to their own region. A common case Joost likes is that a neighbor can actually be extremely laggy to you, but you can happily connect to someone in a different country. Internet connection isn't a straight beeline connection, it's a series of digital devices with varying properties. In fact I believe there was one country which regularly lagged to its own country but had better connection all around to a totally different region, meaning they virtually never met their own nationality in-game. Region lock in some ways limits the matchmaker so the cases of "further away but better connection" are now impossible, potentially making it actually worse on you, minus the ability to pin it on your region.

2) Matchmaking, assuming its functioning as expected, is actually already getting you the best connection it can. If it's having to expand out to other regions when it's not beneficial to do so, it's either because its the best compromise the system can do with its parameters, or that it didn't have much other choice.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 am 

Please bless me with your mind reading capabilities speartongue. How else could you possibly know the exact reason for people leaving the game?

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 am 

lag is hilarious and absolutely not the reason i quit playing the game
it's that stomping league 5s gets boring fast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 pm 

speartongue wrote:
The Lord Protector wrote:
I would rather Ronimo did not spend precious weeks developing something only to revert all the work later, sunken costs notwithstanding.

precious weeks??? the option existed before, it's not magically gone forever, it's been disabled.

It's not been disabled. It's been completely reworked. Instead of using Steam matchmaking, they did their own. So your "disabled option" actually has to be implemented.

Implementing this means they have to test it before throwing it out. It means another Beta again, and another salvo of potentially buggy period. It's not just about ticking an option box, pushing 2 times Enter, and put it in the next patch. It's way more complex than what you think.

Besides, for the reasons Emo just wrote, region lock wouldn't change anything. If there is a problem, it's in the matchmaking implementation - not in the idea it uses.

Criticizing matchmaking because it favors ping over skill difference - that's the kind of concern i wouldn't disagree with. But region lock? No, if anything, it would make things way worst by restraining the pool you're choosing from.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm 

I don't care what our ping supposedly is: Brazilian players shouldn't be matched with US players.
Neither player will understand each-other, and chances are the good ping is a result of any number of VPN programs hiding the player's actual connection speed.

+2000 to this thread.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:42 am 

Region locking is a "good idea" in theory, but it's pretty damn flawed in reality, especially considering the playerbase of this game. With the current playerbase, we can barely handle splitting the queues (Brawl/ranked modes). If region locking was introduced, it'd likely hyperaccelerate the death of the game.

Certain regions also can't find matches that are limited to just their own region; there's got to be players from other regions mixed into their matches. Implementing a region lock would, beyond a doubt, absolutely kill any region that's not NA/EU, and they'd only be able to play against bots. cough cough australia

Official Fanart Gallery | Steam | Discord: Duskitty#5930 | I'm a tech support volunteer!

Currently playing: LUX5000, Ayla, Coco, Dizzy
Sometimes play: Raelynn, Scoop, Ksenia
Still learning: Penny, Rocco