Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 pm 

We're all veterans here - we know only how the game is from the sides of veterans. But how is it for a newbie?

There's this post (well, more of a rant - but actually a constructive rant) of someone new to Awesomenauts. I find the post quite plausible, and that's perhaps what every newbie experienced when playing Awesomenauts..

http://steamcommunity.com/app/204300/discussions/0/2381701715733367425/

GuyBrush wrote:
tl;dr of the post wrote:
Bots: Have a bad ratio of either being a complete breeze ("matches end in 5 minutes") or near-impossible if someone on your team leaves, resulting in nothing gained for your time.
Community: Toxic, always finding someone to blame.
Matchmaker:
Quote:
If I were to ballpark it, I'd say 20% of games are evenly matched, 20% are mismatched in our favor, and the rest are mismatched in the opponent's favor.

Matchmaking: lack of players.
Bots: well, this game ain't for fighting with bots anyway
Community: we should definitely make an effort in that regard. We're just scaring away all the newbies by flaming them (I say "we" ; but I have no idea how many of us actually flame them)

Do you know personally friends that have tried Awesomenauts? Did they continue? If not, why?

Last edited by potterman28wxcv on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:41 pm 

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Do you know personally friends that have tried Awesomenauts? Did they continue? If not, why?

I've gotten around 10-12 IRL friends to play nauts over the years, and none of them play anymore. various reasons in no real order-

didn't really understand or appreciate the concept / automatically thinks 2d games are shallow
duoQ was an awful experience because the 3rd teammate was frequently inept
terrible community/rude players
it just felt like a gank fest - their words, not mine
one person was upset that weedlings were given a timer and stopped playing lol
got bored/moved on

most people dropped out with <10 hours i'd say. A couple made it past 100 though.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:57 am 

IRL Friends playing and trying this game
10+
Dropped this game
10+
Played this game casually for 2-4 games in the last 4 months
Biggest reason: Other Mobas did give a better skill scaling because of bigger community and more variety (and maybe personal preference of graphics and playstyle)
Nearly all of them dropped at one point and never came back (even after revisiting that game when I basically forced them) -> Introduction of the XP System.
They complained about the weak skill/win ratio and that achieving anything in other games is easier and feels better. E.g. getting top 10 with kills in a battle royale, winning a siege in smite, getting a boss killed in terraria, stuff like that.
Also in 5 years a lot of games came out and nauts is not a game where you forget everything else and only play one game 24/7 (to most players that is)
This year alone we got
Battleroyale as a whole
a HUGE amount of AAA games on Console and PC
Nintendo Switch
Good Indie games like Cuphead
Games like absolver and such
and so on

I think it is normal to not get the interest of all people, and even if it is like that, noone has the need to stick forever in todays world.
I think it is the age, rather than the "newcomer unfriendlyness"
The Community is far more rude in other mobas. Toxicity is a part of the game in todays MOBAs, getting into the enemies mind and such.
If someone is not used to that by now or is too proud to click the mute button, they are either fairly young and not familiar with it or have a thin skin and will never stick to a MOBA community

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:
We'll think about also muting the team commands.

Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about punching a cat

Please don't punch a cat.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:41 am 

"Toxicity is a part of the game in todays MOBAs, getting into the enemies mind and such."

Well, 99% of toxicity in Awesomenauts comes from your team, not from opponents. Dunnoh about other MOBAs, since I dont play them. :kiss:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:09 pm 

Location: Lesson #1 DINOSAURS ARE JUST BIG DUMB CARNIVOROUS CHICKENS, YOU CAN'T LEARN THEM ANYTHING!
potterman28wxcv wrote:

I've got 4 friends who played Awesomenauts. one of them quit playing after 8 hours, probaby because he never realy got into it that much.
The other 3 still play it to this day after 3 years. It's really the only game we're able to play on a regular basis that we all like.

sLy wrote:
Also in 5 years a lot of games came out and nauts is not a game where you forget everything else and only play one game 24/7 (to most players that is)
This year alone we got
Battleroyale as a whole
a HUGE amount of AAA games on Console and PC
Nintendo Switch
Good Indie games like Cuphead
Games like absolver and such
and so on

I really do think you can't put most of those things as reasons people don't play a moba, playing Hollow Knight doesn't cause me to never touch Awesomenauts anymore because when I want to play an online multiplayer game I don't go and play a singleplayer game. The only competition for an online multiplayer pvp game are another online multiplayer pvp games. Saying people stop playing Awesomenauts because singleplayer games is like saying "I don't drink anymore because there's so much more stuff to eat".

Tech support volunteer

Devmon52 wrote:
I am disappointed in those who voted Harambe as president.

Alpha Z wrote:
Dammit forums, y u gotta be keepin' me out of a sig?

:raehands:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm 

tl;dr of the post wrote:
Bots: Have a bad ratio of either being a complete breeze ("matches end in 5 minutes") or near-impossible if someone on your team leaves, resulting in nothing gained for your time.
Matchmaker:
Quote:
If I were to ballpark it, I'd say 20% of games are evenly matched, 20% are mismatched in our favor, and the rest are mismatched in the opponent's favor.

I've said before that bots should grant at least some experience if you lose, as it really isn't that hard to program an Awesomepoint Farmer detector into the game. But the bots in this game really need to be better, and I've also said before that I generally don't even practice against hard bots because they literally cheat and fighting an Ayla bot who can Evil Eye every 3 seconds isn't fun.

All communities have toxic players and I don't think this is something Ronimo can fix, but I have to agree that Ronimo at least feels very passive about their toxicity control. Feeling passive equals people being less fearful of bans, which equals more toxic players. (See Overwatch and all the toxic players who say "Blizzard doesn't do anything.") Ronimo should also perhaps implement some IP bans to stop toxic players from just creating alts to play.

As for matchmaking... honestly Galactron has so many problems that I could write a full essay on it. But in regards to new players I think that there should be more than enough new players (what with this game being F2P and all) for a new player to find a match without any tryhard veterans stomping them. Leagues honestly need a rework so they actually matter though.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 pm 

GuyBrush wrote:
tl;dr of the post wrote:
Matchmaker:
Quote:

Thanks for the tl;dr! I will add it ASAP

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:05 pm 

use url tags or check the "do not automatically parse urls" box when posting links
otherwise you just break your link whenever you edit the post

here's the link so you can fix your original post:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 am 

Location: Legends say he now resides in a cave, (waiting for someone to challenge him)
In my case it was a friend that showed me this game, used to play skullmujersuelas nalgonas with him. I've talked about this before but actually, I'm only one of many friends he showed the game to.
Me: been pseudo active since late 2015.
Friend 1: reached L7 in under 15 days! Quit after reaching prestige 1 (lol)
Friend 2: played until they reached L6. Played an online game with me where he went 1/15, complained I kill stole even though I played initiator sentry that match...never heard of him afterwards.
Friend 3: talked with us about how excited he was for unlocking this. "Rockon" guy. DOA.
Friend 4: played a bot match with us...cool cat I suppose?
Ironically, the person that got me into this game hasn't even gotten past the 100 hours mark, even though he began on the PC launch. He now wears his prestige 2 and 40 ayla wins medal with pride....
Also he plays on gamepad LOLZ.
The list goes on filled with funny moments ranging from:
Nerf salt, this low tier naut is overpowered, this game is too easy, too unfair, not enough nauts, not enough maps, LOL is better, there's no wave dashing in this game etc (fun fact: there is wave dashing in this game)

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

http://steamcommunity.com/id/recipefortheperfectafro/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:32 pm 

kathy wrote:
use url tags or check the "do not automatically parse urls" box when posting links
otherwise you just break your link whenever you edit the post

here's the link so you can fix your original post:

Thanks, fixed :thumb: I always forget about it