Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Posts: 5580
Location: Barrier Magazine Marketing Department
potterman28wxcv wrote:
GuyBrush wrote:

Thanks for the tl;dr! I will add it ASAP

<3

_________________
I was Chogi.
Emo Chapington wrote:
[Post brought to you by GuyBrush]
Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 467
Location: Confirmed, Sending Supplies
tl;dr: There is no solution

well, there is but far from current competences.

For starters, toxicity is not going anywhere anytime soon, why? every player in a team of 3 is simply too influential in the team's performance that it becomes a weak point, what does matter you have kills if your teammate let the turret be destroyed? or he kept feeding the enemy team? no one likes to carry dead weights and mid matches aren't a place for tutoring players

a good alternative that to my knowledge was supposed to happen was to remove damage upgrades from the store leaving only utilities to enhance abilities, but this never came to reality, summed to the poor balance decisions it has proven time and time that there is no real strategy other than hoard solar to ramp up damage as fast as you can

XP system has no reason to exist, it hasn't solved anything, it hasn't made damage upgrades less mandatory and it hasn't avoided pubstomps, if you experience less of the later is because there are veteran players queuing with each other now and more so than ever and even then, one has to wonder why XP has to escalate damage?, if XP escalates health and damage then why we still have to rely on upgrades? both things shouldn't coexists in this game, ib4: "other games do so", other games have bigger (in-game) teams, more players and have been created around that dynamic, Awesomenauts is not, it was born as a casual MOBA that to this day it can't decide on it's identity, it dropped the best part it had, the casual side of it and made it a chore, you have to queue, and you have to hope that queue has good players, and if it doesn't you have to rely on broken characters (Rocket), if you stay it's granted some * talk is going to occur, if you mute the chat entirely you will still have a bitter defeat or a bitter victory, if you DC for saving yourself the trouble of listening to this guy crapping all over the place you get penalized so, you are better off just not playing it at all

as a veteran player, despite my investment in skins and dlc i got nothing in the end, i don't main Lonestar so there it goes the skin, it doesn't bother me to grind for characters, but still with all those things unlocked i got nothing, game is not fun, game is not lighthearted, game is not casual, everything is a chore, everything still costs more money, game still has few players despite bring free*, it gave away and still keeps giving away stuff that many of us paid for to bait players into playing and it only drives more players away, i have shiny badges i won't use because it only weights my presence as a veteran player putting even more pressure over me, a pressure i am not willing to take because this is a * game, not a task, nor a chore, i'm not being paid for carrying and i just want to play as lady frog without having to worry about anything else, game lacks skill now, game has a lot of unnecessary gimmicks for the sake of feeling like a moba, game has broken characters, game has bugs, game has cheaters, game has a useless internal economy that goes nowhere, you can't buy * with Awesomepoints, you can't use your steam profile picture, and i just can keep pilling up what is wrong with this game but the reality is:

you can't keep ignoring the problems with this game if you want new people in

the old pre-Swiggins casual queue needs to return, drop-in / drop-out system needs to return as it's own mode, penalties for leaving should be abandoned, damage upgrades needs to be gone or XP system then, casual mode just needs to be one thing: FUN

but heck, when is that going to happen am i right? took around 3 years break and this game is still going nowhere like a bleeding headless chicken, if this game makes it another 360 days it will be because of the few people still buying stuff making up for the lack of new players

_________________
A New Reason To Play Awesomenauts

"Time to chew butt and kick tobacco"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:01 pm
Posts: 29
It would be interesting to see the old matchmaking model return as a brawl so newer players would be able to try it out and older players get their daily nostalgia dose. Probably won't happen though since, i imagine, it would be quite the pain to implement properly just for the sake of a brawl.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:35 pm
Posts: 826
Location: Grenoble, France
monkeybusiness wrote:
It would be interesting to see the old matchmaking model return as a brawl so newer players would be able to try it out and older players get their daily nostalgia dose. Probably won't happen though since, i imagine, it would be quite the pain to implement properly just for the sake of a brawl.

People are still persuaded that the old matchmaking model was better.. But I don't think it was honestly.

A No XP brawl though, now that would be nice :thumb:

_________________
Admin of the Rollcage steam group
GRIP - Intense futuristic combat racer


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 467
Location: Confirmed, Sending Supplies
potterman28wxcv wrote:
People are still persuaded that the old matchmaking model was better.. But I don't think it was honestly.


for competitive players it was plain *, for a lighthearted casual experience was perfect, nowadays is neither good for comp or casuals

_________________
A New Reason To Play Awesomenauts

"Time to chew butt and kick tobacco"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:09 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: Lesson #1 DINOSAURS ARE JUST BIG DUMB CARNIVOROUS CHICKENS, YOU CAN'T LEARN THEM ANYTHING!
Enemy wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:
People are still persuaded that the old matchmaking model was better.. But I don't think it was honestly.


for competitive players it was plain *, for a lighthearted casual experience was perfect, nowadays is neither good for comp or casuals

I don't see how the old matchmaking was better for casuals in any way. How is having a less balanced match good for casuals? It was not fun to lose a match you were winning because of a late join, it was not fun to get disconnected from a match only to pray to god you would rejoin it when you entered the que again.
The only real problem with the current matchmaking is that players in some regions have trouble finding games but other than that it's just superior.

_________________
Handsomenauts thread
Video thread

Tech support volunteer

Devmon52 wrote:
I am disappointed in those who voted Harambe as president.

Alpha Z wrote:
Dammit forums, y u gotta be keepin' me out of a sig?


:raehands:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 467
Location: Confirmed, Sending Supplies
vmar98 wrote:
I don't see how the old matchmaking was better for casuals in any way. How is having a less balanced match good for casuals? It was not fun to lose a match you were winning because of a late join, it was not fun to get disconnected from a match only to pray to god you would rejoin it when you entered the que again.

drop in. drop out.

match is trash? just disconnect and join another, lose nothing, gain nothing. The team is already losing and you think you can make a comeback? stay and play, in one sentence: have the option of having fun

but then again people never see anything beyond "i want" so naturally everyone opposes to something less serious, the result? well look around you, you get so * serious no new players have had the chance to learn and stay doing dumb *, because "everything has to be balanced and fair", flash news, to this day the game is neither balanced, nor fairly matched, and all the mechanics have been planned on the fly, sometimes i wonder how this game hasn't crashed and burn like Evolve and Battleborn?

_________________
A New Reason To Play Awesomenauts

"Time to chew butt and kick tobacco"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: Côte D'azur
Enemy wrote:
vmar98 wrote:
I don't see how the old matchmaking was better for casuals in any way. How is having a less balanced match good for casuals? It was not fun to lose a match you were winning because of a late join, it was not fun to get disconnected from a match only to pray to god you would rejoin it when you entered the que again.

The team is already losing and you think you can make a comeback? stay and play, in one sentence: have the option of having fun


I'm relieved this kind of selfish * got cleaned up since galactron.
Your point of view is all fine and dandy, but then you're ignoring your 2 allies' one, which play a lot into your argument.

_________________
Steam :raehands:

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive


CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag


_olaffff wrote:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 1178
Doppelganger wrote:
I'm relieved this kind of selfish * got cleaned up since galactron.

are you sure
my whiny roccos just idle in base or run into turrets to ensure that we have as much a slow, futile match as possible
at least back then he could have potentially been replaced by some random carry leon or something


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this the newbie experience in a nutshell?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 pm
Posts: 831
kathy wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
I'm relieved this kind of selfish * got cleaned up since galactron.

are you sure
my whiny roccos just idle in base or run into turrets to ensure that we have as much a slow, futile match as possible
at least back then he could have potentially been replaced by some random carry leon or something


I agree with Enemy that the game did lose something when they ditched the Drop in/drop out system.

I'll admit, galactron CAN produce way better matches than the old system, but you have to slog through 8 lop sided games to find them.

Late joins made those 8 lop sided games tolerable to me, because the feeders would just leave and be replaced

_________________
if my teammates are good, i always win.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next