Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Can you put "more" graphics options?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:49 pm 

so my actual notebook is a potato. im running the game with everything on low. but there are some special effects that are still lowering the frames of my game. like scoop attacks, the new rae skin barrier. sparkles and glitter in general. i dont care playing the game looking with a visual a little worse if this enhances the stability.

im on win 10, dual core 2,1ghz CPU, intel hd graphics. every graphic effect on w10 is disabled. the only thing i left open its awe itself and foobar2000(to listen music while i play). can you think about it? im geting from 13fps to 49fps(on fps option mode). in low imput mode i can hardly pass 30fps(but the game choke less) sometimes when all nauts are attacking at the same time, my game freeze for like 0,5 seconds and then i teleport in the direction i was walking to.
it would help if you put a option called very low for all settings.

Post subject: Re: Can you put "more" graphics options?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm 

OpenGL used to work better than direct x for me when i used a lappy with intel gfx... If you havent tried

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:09 am 

stev wrote:
OpenGL used to work better than direct x for me when i used a lappy with intel gfx... If you havent tried

for me direct x work better. i tried both today. i really wannted that they simplify a little more the graphics for people with TERRIBLE notebooks like me.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 am 

I doubt they can give any more low graph settings at this point. Especially since your problem with choking when nauts are around you speaks more about cpu issue that graphics.

But have you tried lowering your laptops screen resolution? It will make the game lines jarred and possibly even "zoomed in" at low resolutions, but could make it smoother. Being a 2D game, there is a limit to the effect though. But try setting resolution to something like 1024x576 and see if its playable.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 am 

Like IsoKoala I also think it's CPU related. Awesomenauts is quite CPU intensive

I used to have the same problems - I don't necessarily want to do a product placement, but with CPUCores I don't have those mini-freeze anymore. For desktop users I don't think CPUCores is gonna help, but for us notebook/laptop users who have a CPU that can heat very easily, it really does help.

There's also Cortex Razor but for some reason it doesn't do the job as good as CPUCores. At least for me.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm 

Since i've been having the same issues, i decided to give CPUCores a shot like potterman suggested and here's how it went:

- Framerate is, indeed, more stable and slightly improved (went from below 30~fps most of the time to slightly above 30fps most of the time);

- Unfortunately, there is some lag input in order to trigger abilities which can be frustrating since you're more likely to mistime it;

- Troublesome characters like Rocco, Skree, Gnaw, Dizzy, etc fps-wise still take a toll when it comes to performance so if you're up against a full comp with characters like that, you're still gonna have a bad time;

- Also experienced some lag input when picking items at the shop (not that relevant but might as well still point it out anyway);

- Lastly, characters' movement feel more... floaty than usual (hard to describe it any better until you test it yourself).

In conclusion, while it did improve FPS, there are some noticeable side-effects to be wary of. I may also try Cortex Razor later and post the results.

Thanks for your suggestions, potterman. :thumb:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 pm 

monkeybusiness wrote:
Since i've been having the same issues, i decided to give CPUCores a shot like potterman suggested and here's how it went:

- Framerate is, indeed, more stable and slightly improved (went from below 30~fps most of the time to slightly above 30fps most of the time);

- Unfortunately, there is some lag input in order to trigger abilities which can be frustrating since you're more likely to mistime it;

- Troublesome characters like Rocco, Skree, Gnaw, Dizzy, etc fps-wise still take a toll when it comes to performance so if you're up against a full comp with characters like that, you're still gonna have a bad time;

- Also experienced some lag input when picking items at the shop (not that relevant but might as well still point it out anyway);

- Lastly, characters' movement feel more... floaty than usual (hard to describe it any better until you test it yourself).

In conclusion, while it did improve FPS, there are some noticeable side-effects to be wary of. I may also try Cortex Razor later and post the results.

Thanks for your suggestions, potterman. :thumb:

If you watch 60 FPS streams, they are floaty. I think it's the way they're supposed to be :p

I didn't experience any lag input on my end.. Normally based on how it works, CPUCores shouldn't affect it, so I don't know what to say. I did notice however that I missed more often my second skill - but i assumed it's because of my crappy mouse. I will try to pay a bit more attention to this. Oh btw, do you use keyboard+mouse or a controller? And how many cores has your CPU? (physical? virtual?)

Mine has 4 virtual cores in 2 physical cores, max frequency of 2.4 GHz (but it's rare when i get to that frequency. Due to heating it's more like 2 GHz most of the time)

When you say it's more stable, do you still get some framestops moments, or did they completely vanish? Because they did for me

Your laptop seems to be way worst than mine, so thank you for acting like an experiment subject :tongue:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:16 am 

Aye, the guinea pig is back and scratch AAAALLLLLLLLLL of that because now, Awesomenauts runs like a beauty, stabilizing at 40-45 fps! Truly i have been blessed by the gods, even by the mighty Zoose himself! So, how have i achieved such greatness you ask? Well... this is kinda embarassing (and it may lead you to think i'm actually half-monkey half-man and also a fully fledged moron) but all i needed was to... change the battery settings (while using CPUCores). Yeah, i know, just... don't say it... :jimmy:

To be fair, whenever i messed with the battery setting it never improved anything so, ya know, i'm not actually half-monkey... still probably a moron, though.

I can play Clunk, i can play Jimmy, i can SIIIIIINNNNNG! Ok, i lied about the singing bit but, wow, it feels amazing to play like this... so silky, so smooth.

Thanks for bringing it up potterman, otherwise i'd still be playing with terrible FPS. Pretty stoked! :thumb:

Although i'm not sure whether i should be furious for not thinking about this like, ya know, 5 months ago... ah screw it, i'm just gonna enjoy this while it lasts!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 pm 

Location: Legends say he now resides in a cave, (waiting for someone to challenge him)
upgrading your rig and and having caution about your CPU are all really good solutions to the problem, but having the option to remove all or at least some of the particle effects would be neat.
(dust in the air, store healing particles, droppod lights, death animations etc)
Changing the particles for movements would be very complicated and for all we know could launch with tons of game breaking bugs like straight up removing hurtboxes or animations for some characters. But can we, toaster peasants get some sort of fix for stuff like: ceremonial mask/sunballs' animation, max's police scanner and stacked nukes/animations? like voltar healbots, airstrikes, skree's entire kit (counting totem because spawns are also problematic) or the main damage indicators that appear on top of everyone's head.

(most of the "stacks" listed are a problem in 2 game modes, dm and no cd so these can be ignored, but having a new option for the damage indicator display would be awesome, like merging it with the healthbar on the bottom of the screen so y'knoe jus' sayin' ñ_ñ)

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

http://steamcommunity.com/id/recipefortheperfectafro/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 pm 

monkeybusiness wrote:

Nice to know it worked for you :ayla:

And yeah I forgot to precise, but obviously battery settings should be set to maximum performance, or else it will decrease your CPU frequency to reduce your energy consumption.