Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: What's going on
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 pm 

Ok, I think I'm on the verge of giving up so I'll just make this thread.
I'm not mad. I'm not going to blame anyone. I am merely disappointed.

What's currently happening?

Like, we just have radio silence. I'm worried, a lot of the remaining people really want this game to work. Sure it wasn't easy and we've staggered through 6 years but, what's going on?
We know nothing except that the entirety of Ronimo is working on... 'something'.
We don't know what that something is, and you seem to be working super hard on it, taking up almost full attention of the devteam. To the point where nothing else is getting attention (or at least, from our perspective).

I'm worried. Yes, you're good business people but I think we can more than establish that player retention is not one of your strong points. I'm worried that this full focus project is going to make things even worse.
And without knowing at all about it, no way to give feedback, no way to prevent a potentially terrible idea.
What do?

The past 3 months I've only played Nauts when one of my friends who hadn't touched the game for years suddenly decided to play a few rounds.

The game is still fun but with a dwindling playerbase, what do?
I'm worried.
I've poured 4K hours in Nauts.
I've done what I could to help balance up until Smiles beta.
90% of my friends are Nauts related.

This game gave me so much, and I've done so much for the game.
But in the end, I, along with the thousand or so leftover people, are just left with radio silence.

I know you read the forums.
What happened to the Ronimo I used to know?
If we go on like this it won't end well.

Where are you?

What's going on?

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post subject: Re: What's going on
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:33 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Oh, but me saying this is a bad thing.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Oh, but me saying this is a bad thing.

Did I ever say that? What I mostly remember saying to you was that you're not alone.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:51 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Gameinsky wrote:
Did I ever say that? What I mostly remember saying to you was that you're not alone.

Oh no, but you know how it is.

We are automatially the worst people to have ever dared exist for being concerned that Ronimo communicates the same way a small pile of bricks communicates.

Or, like, several metres of silly string.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 pm 

Gameinsky wrote:

Oh no, but you know how it is.

We are automatially the worst people to have ever dared exist for being concerned that Ronimo communicates the same way a small pile of bricks communicates.

Or, like, several metres of silly string.

Idk what you're getting at but if you're going to speak on such a tone then I guess this partially explains their lack of willingness to communicate.

I don't understand how the only point you're willing to take from this entire thread is something that doesn't even have to directly do with it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 pm 

Gameinsky wrote:
I don't understand how the only point you're willing to take from this entire thread is something that doesn't even have to directly do with it.

Put it this way: I agree with the OP.

Ronimo communicates like a pile of bricks—unless you have seen bricks that can talk (and that would be very concerning indeed), then they communicate like a pile of them.

I am picturing bricks with mouths now.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:20 pm 
Adminaut

Lord Protector you're kind of proving my point right now :tongue:

Anyways I think the game, Ronimo, the forums, have all hit a rather troublesome phase. Let's be realistic, the forum community is virtually dead (the bare number of people left is questionable if that counts as a community), and Ronimo has gone quiet and slowed updates, along with the game having been on a decline lately. What exactly Ronimo plans, I have no clue, but I'm not surprised at what is happening either. It's been building up for a while, as many have noticed and responded with absence.

Ronimo is working on a new game? Not out of the question: it'd certainly make sense for a dev team of their size to (mostly) stop working on what has hit a rather large decline (something much sharper than a lot of people were complaining about for the last few years I'd like to point out) and go to something new to support themselves. It also fits in line with their very busy attitude right now. If that is the case, I fully support their endeavors! :ayla: If not, oh well, my mistake. :derp:

Ronimo has stopped properly supporting Awesomenauts? Unsure, and depends how you see it. Qi Tara is still in the works, as far as I am aware, and I doubt they'd let this game just crumble senselessly. If they legitimately are phasing the game out of development (totally possible, not going to lie), they'll probably still keep doing occasional patches to fix some stuff even if their development is mostly over. The game is in a more solid position than ever for "occasional party game" which is a healthy way for a game to end: much more extensive custom game modes and modding, so it's stronger to be left "alone" than it was before. Whether they really plan to just stop proper updates beyond Qi Tara is entirely dependant on Ronimo's long-term plans, interest in the finances of the team, and their willingness in supporting their... over 10 years old game project. Damn, for Joost and Maarten and the other "original" developers: it's been over a decade! :blabl:

This game has actually almost reached the old milestone they said was their end goal for number of 'nauts. Anyone but me remember that? As soon as Qi Tara is out, they've hit exactly that goal! :party: A damn accurate estimation, wouldn't you say?

I have confidence in Ronimo. Despite their many flubs over the years, I'm actually not worried by their silence right now. :ayla:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 pm 

I agree with the OP. It's an achievement that Ronimo have sustained the game and community for such a long period of time, and I truly believe Awesomenauts still has a future ahead of it. However, what kind of future exactly this will be remains to be seen, and more communication from Ronimo as to what is currently being worked on and would be appreciated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Ronimo plans to stop working on Awesomenauts full-time (maybe this has happened already, we don't really know what's going on), then that would be perfectly reasonable. But to ensure a future for Awesomenauts the community needs to know that bug fixes, balance updates, and general maintenance will be sustained, even if Qi'Tara is our last new naut.

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:44 pm 

Look at me scheme, subtly making people start discussions...

If they are working on something new, would it not be a good idea to tell us that, or at least give us some indication that development here is stopping/has stopped? The sheer lack of communication is painting them in a bad light that could potentially affect their future endeavours, not to mention how this has affected critical decisions in the past (F2P being one of them).

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:58 pm 
Adminaut

If they are working on something new, would it not be a good idea to tell us that, or at least give us some indication that development here is stopping/has stopped? The sheer lack of communication is painting them in a bad light that could potentially affect their future endeavours, not to mention how this has affected critical decisions in the past (F2P being one of them).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but actually a hell of a lot of developers never even speak of their project until it's way past concept phase and is actually in testing. Games that don't make it as far as to even have a possible demonstration, trailer, anything tend to basically never be seen by the public eye. This is probably because devs don't like to put themselves in a corner implying one project is what they're working on, then it never comes out and people get antsy they didn't go with the original one (remember Awesomenauts wasn't their first game idea for the project, but they only talked about the old idea years after Awesomenauts was released, so it was ancient history by then). This is also likely helpful for companies looking for investment and such, since the less the public knows about a project they have underway, the more freedom publishers and such have with it.

I'm not saying it's a good deal for us: as we're left standing and waiting, but I can see some rationale too it.

Similarly I can see why they would never announce they officially stopped working on the game: that's basically the strongest bullet to the head you can use when you are still gaining some money off it, and holding a reputation from a game's current populous that is still going (small is still better than zero). I won't say I actually enjoy this (in fact I've felt burnt by a company before basically abandoning a total failure of a project but never actually properly saying they gave up). I think it'd be nice if they "strongly suggested" it, so it's not something damning or set in stone technically, but makes it kinda obvious where it's likely going so the players can feel informed for the future.