Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 207  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:34 am
Posts: 6
I've come across a similar task before; I'd probably try to fix this with a decay on the counts..

If you kept a count for each naut, then each time you pick someone just increment that naut's count and decay the rest by say 1 or 2%. It'd mean the choices from 100 games ago would count for bumloads less than the most recent choices.

My 2c :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 pm
Posts: 436
Location: Behind a keyboard
Thank you for the suggestions! I do agree a reset for the last 100 games so it only clocks your most recent 100 at all times would be a more viable way to gauge who is popular with the current patch rather than the whole game's cycle until a world reset occurs.

Here's this week on October 12th:

Lonestar - 21 (-5)
Froggy G - 17 (-3)
Leon - 30 (+7)
Clunk - 6 (-3)
Voltar - 3 (+1)
Yuri - 3 (-4)
Coco - 11 (--)
Derpl - 9 (+7)
Gnaw - 0 (--)
Skølldir - 0 (--)

Looks to me Derpl has overtaken Clunk as the viable tank spec due to the loadouts given later whilst Coco remains as strong as before. Therefore it's good to see new characters are making the impact. Looking forward to when Gnaw and Skølldir reach these heights!

Leon is back on top of the usage mountain (booooo) though this may be due to Skølldir being played or the chemistry in his playstyle being so used to by longtime players/team of Derpl and Leon being very good right now. Either way this means Lonestar has to contend with being 2nd, still ahead of the slowly declining Froggy G.

Healers are even worse than before. Though Voltar did get a minor surge of interest, Yuri plummeted, and their combined score is a notable chunk. Powerful dps in the early game negates the usefulness of strong heals even at late game. It's a shame they cost so much solar since nothing hurts more than to be a class which has to support at all times. Am I shocked you guys chose these two for me to main in my challenge? The results don't lie.

Well this is it! See you guys here next week. Feedback would be most welcome in regards to these changes. Until then!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 am
Posts: 38
Location: Cabo Frio, Brazil
Does the system even refresh the favourite naut?

I've been main'ing one character per prestige and Froggy(my first 'naut) is still shown as my favourite character.

_________________
Gimme three steps

#Awesomenauts IRC Channel
irc.rizon.net


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1357
thiagomei wrote:
Does the system even refresh the favourite naut?

I've been main'ing one character per prestige and Froggy(my first 'naut) is still shown as my favourite character.


No. It should just show your most played 'Naut. Don't know if it actually works as intended, though. It's been pointed out that it may be buggy.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline
Ronimo Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm
Posts: 8955
Really interesting numbers, makes me curious how they will evolve over time!

I do agree with some others here that these are not necessarily indicative of actual balance, but they are definitely indicative of popularity, which is also really interesting to see. :)

Blazier wrote:
... Don't know if it actually works as intended, though. It's been pointed out that it may be buggy.

As far as I know, the only bug it has is that Skolldir never shows up. It does look at the total matches played, though, so if you first played 100 matches Froggy and then 90 matches Leon, then it still thinks Froggy is your favourite. I agree that only basing it on more recent matches would be more interesting, but I don't know if/when we would change that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:01 am
Posts: 68
Interesting thread, as a Derpl mainer im so glad to be one of those derpl users in the top 100


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 pm
Posts: 436
Location: Behind a keyboard
Another week has gone by (so fast? so real!) and thus here's the listings for October 19th:

Lonestar - 19 (-2)
Froggy G - 19 (+2)
Leon - 29 (-1)
Clunk - 9 (+3)
Voltar - 4 (+1)
Yuri - 3 (--)
Coco - 15 (+4)
Derpl - 2 (-7)
Gnaw - 0 (--)
Skølldir - 0 (--)

What happened Derpl players? Perhaps the joint rise of Clunk and Coco have something to do with Mr. Zork's downfall.

I'm fascinated at how Voltar remains just viable enough not to be suspect of being looked at for being too weak. He's got a tremendous degree of obvious flaws yet people seem to make him work even in random groups. More power to you brave fishbowls!

There is a notable consistent batch of Skølldirs still about which means he'll break the Top 100 hopefully before the year is up. Gnaw? Still got my doubts I'm afraid.

Hope this helps! Back to playing Voltar (you guys are monsters(I still love you))


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 2:18 am
Posts: 328
Joost wrote:
Really interesting numbers, makes me curious how they will evolve over time!

I do agree with some others here that these are not necessarily indicative of actual balance, but they are definitely indicative of popularity, which is also really interesting to see. :)

Blazier wrote:
... Don't know if it actually works as intended, though. It's been pointed out that it may be buggy.

As far as I know, the only bug it has is that Skolldir never shows up. It does look at the total matches played, though, so if you first played 100 matches Froggy and then 90 matches Leon, then it still thinks Froggy is your favourite. I agree that only basing it on more recent matches would be more interesting, but I don't know if/when we would change that.


I have played a lot of matches with Gnaw but he is not my favorite Naut. I have 1000+ kills with Gnaw and my other Nauts are under 100 so that can give a clue maybe. Right now Yuri is my fav Naut and I barely play with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 am
Posts: 547
Both Gnaw and Skolldir have been out for so short a time that the Leaderboards are basically rigged against them.

I used Gnaw almost exclusively when he came out, but my leaderboard still says Leon for some reason.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 100 - A Glance at 'Naut Usage
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1357
dragontamer5788 wrote:
Both Gnaw and Skolldir have been out for so short a time that the Leaderboards are basically rigged against them.

I used Gnaw almost exclusively when he came out, but my leaderboard still says Leon for some reason.


It's bugged right now. I have a friend who ONLY plays gnaw. Like I've never seen him play another character. And his favourite says Froggy, because that's what he used when he first started. He's played way more Gnaw than froggy, by the way.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 207  Next