Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: The PS3/360 patching situation
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

There have been a lot of questions about whether another console patch is coming, after July's patch which already added Coco and Derpl for free. We cannot give a definite yes or no to that, but what we can say, is that right now we are not working on a console patch, and it would be very difficult to do another console patch. We hope explaining why will make our console players understand the situation a bit better. We cannot go into some details, because agreements with publishers and consoles require confidentiality, but we hope this gives you an idea.

Here's an outline of the problems:
-Console patching/DLC is very expensive (although the reasons are more complex than simply that a certain console manufacturer may or may not charge a certain amount of money).
-Console patching/DLC is not just expensive, it also has some very severe technical limitations on certain consoles. We cannot go into details, but creating a console patch with the amount of changes we have would just be incredibly complex and thus a lot of work. For example, all the characters were remade for the PC version to allow for free-aim and we would need to use the new versions to get Raelynn working on console, making the patch very big, which is problematic on certain consoles.
-Steam patching is ridiculously easy. The patching there is so easy and inexpensive that it would be almost weird not to patch on Steam. Seriously, Valve did a fantastic job.
-The game sold fine on console, but it took us three years to make the game and thus a lot of money. Some people say we should spend our money to create console patches, but as a company we also need to make back our investment for development of the game in the first place.
-There needs to be a certain balance between how much it costs us to do a patch, and how much extra money through sales/DLC that patch makes. Because the whole patching story is so expensive on console, it is difficult to make it work financially.
-The Steam version is owned entirely by Ronimo, while the console version is done together with a publisher (DTP). That makes the finances and practicalities a lot more complex, and DTP being insolvent right now also adds more complexity to the whole situation. We cannot comment on any details, but let's just say that it is a lot simpler to make business decisions for the Steam version.

Update: reaction to some recent news over here: viewtopic.php?p=191723#p191723

Post subject: Re: The console patching situation
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 pm 

I certainly do hope that this helps to reduce the amount of flak you receive on a daily basis, as you truly are not deserving of it. Keep up the great work, Ronimo. I'll continue supporting ye in any way I can. ;)

Duplo, Latin for double. Sion, Sion Barzahd.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:51 pm 

well, no surprises here. guess we're stuck with shotty g forever. if only we could have gotten our first patch later instead of sooner, oh well. i doubt i'll ever move to pc. i'll be on console 'till it dies.

thank you joost for clearing things up. you guys have been great with the community. i don't blame you for anything. business is business, and you gotta bring home the bread.

thanks for a great game
Sincerely,

mr_bonejangles

Leon Chameleon kills: 25,000 and counting(PS3)

___R.I.P Consolenauts___

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm 

Duplosion wrote:
I certainly do hope that this helps to reduce the amount of flak you receive on a daily basis, as you truly are not deserving of it. Keep up the great work, Ronimo. I'll continue supporting ye in any way I can. ;)

^ Can't agree with this more.

Co-founder and member of Team BadAku.

My Youtube! | My Twitter!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm 

i just read joost's post about consoles, and I cannot hold what i have to say after reading it: if what you say is truth and steam is a lot easier to work and do patches, why not sold the game there in the 1st place and not on consoles? it appears that you are trying to sell the same game twice because people started diging the game and then had to switch to pc just to get the "updated version" of it. Then in your post you say "The game sold fine on console", isn't a bit disrespectful to us to abandoned our platform and go work on a diferent one and only tells us an "official statement" 3 months after?i get that you have to work with a publisher on consoles and sometimes it's hard to make it work with other companies but if you cannot make an agreement with them why not give the consoles players who purchased the game, some sort of pass to steam to give them the possibility to play with the characters/fix and bring together most of the players to pc? I don't wanna make this post too negative because i liked your game and had fun while playing, but my game is sitting in my hard drive (PS3) for about a month and i do not have the same drive and fun to play as i did once and after reading your post i realized that it's better to delete it and move on...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

andrefragoso wrote:
i just read joost's post about consoles, and I cannot hold what i have to say after reading it: if what you say is truth and steam is a lot easier to work and do patches, why not sold the game there in the 1st place and not on consoles? it appears that you are trying to sell the same game twice because people started diging the game and then had to switch to pc just to get the "updated version" of it. Then in your post you say "The game sold fine on console", isn't a bit disrespectful to us to abandoned our platform and go work on a diferent one and only tells us an "official statement" 3 months after?i get that you have to work with a publisher on consoles and sometimes it's hard to make it work with other companies but if you cannot make an agreement with them why not give the consoles players who purchased the game, some sort of pass to steam to give them the possibility to play with the characters/fix and bring together most of the players to pc? I don't wanna make this post too negative because i liked your game and had fun while playing, but my game is sitting in my hard drive (PS3) for about a month and i do not have the same drive and fun to play as i did once and after reading your post i realized that it's better to delete it and move on...

Releasing a game on pc first and then on console isn't possible, since a certain platform holder isn't allowing this (unless your title is huge). Secondly we love Awesomenauts as much as you do and we want to keep supporting the game, but at the moment the only way to do this is by working on the PC/Mac version.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:11 pm 

I also play the console version (Xbox 360) and really enjoyed it. Sadly, I think some of the frustration is in the game description on the marketplace:

It's the year 3587; conflict spans the stars. Huge robot armies are locked in an enduring stalemate. In their bid for galactic conquest they call upon the most powerful group of mercenaries in the universe: the Awesomenauts! Play as one of several Awesomenauts and storm the online arenas alone or with friends. Each Awesomenaut can be upgraded with their own unique items to suit different strategies. Expect new items and Awesomenauts to be added regularly!

The last line of the desciption indicates the game would be updated regularly. I totally understand all that issues with console patching, after all, you are a business. It just sucks to be told one thing only to get something else. I still hope one day a patch comes. I would even be happy if patches had to be combined and only came out every 6 months or something. Regardless, most gamers will probably just move on if the game isn't supported. As many console gamers, I have no interest in moving to the PC.

With that said, I did enjoy Awesomenauts and in the end I got my 10 dollars worth.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:16 pm 

Fabian wrote:
andrefragoso wrote:

Releasing a game on pc first and then on console isn't possible, since a certain platform holder isn't allowing this (unless your title is huge). Secondly we love Awesomenauts as much as you do and we want to keep supporting the game, but at the moment the only way to do this is by working on the PC/Mac version.

thanks for replying fabian. i did't know that so thanks for clearing that out. My intention was not to criticize but to give my opinion. I do value your attempts to bring the patches to pc, and im sure you tried to make that possibile.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm 

Ray Charles could have scene this one coming!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

dimensionalgoo wrote:
The last line of the desciption indicates the game would be updated regularly. I totally understand all that issues with console patching, after all, you are a business. It just sucks to be told one thing only to get something else.

We did add a ton of new content after the game launched: patch 1.1, which added Coco and Derpl and tons of fixes and balance improvements, was a really big improvement and given away for free, so I do think we delivered quite well on the original promise. Console games rarely add that much content after launch at all. However, for everyone who bought the game on console after patch 1.1, I agree that it is quite lame that that text is still standing there...