Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: SolarCoaster - *New Track*
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 am 

This is a really excellent concept for a track. It could use a little polish, but I can see you're still working on it. I have one criticism and one suggestion. Firstly, I'm playing on a laptop and the FPS for most of the track is about 30, which is half what the other tracks get, but still playable, and I think it is understandable considering the graphics. However, when I get to the space shuttle for the second time, after passing the moon, the FPS drops dramatically to about 7 which is frankly not playable. The FPS picks up again as soon as I get past the shuttle. I don't know why the FPS drops so drastically there, but you might want to look into it. Second, I think it would be really cool to have some sort of particle effect when you get close to the sun's surface.

I thought the asteroids were much improved between the patches. Keep up the good work!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:46 am 

pianobadger wrote:
This is a really excellent concept for a track. It could use a little polish, but I can see you're still working on it. I have one criticism and one suggestion. Firstly, I'm playing on a laptop and the FPS for most of the track is about 30, which is half what the other tracks get, but still playable, and I think it is understandable considering the graphics. However, when I get to the space shuttle for the second time, after passing the moon, the FPS drops dramatically to about 7 which is frankly not playable. The FPS picks up again as soon as I get past the shuttle. I don't know why the FPS drops so drastically there, but you might want to look into it. Second, I think it would be really cool to have some sort of particle effect when you get close to the sun's surface.

I thought the asteroids were much improved between the patches. Keep up the good work!

I find it really funny that you complain about the FPS and then you go and ask for particle effects. :)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:05 am 

StanK wrote:
I find it really funny that you complain about the FPS and then you go and ask for particle effects.

Well, the FPS was fine there. It just took a massive hit in that one spot.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:26 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Cool track! The space theme is a cool idea, it nicely makes it possible to position objects anywhere along the cable, without getting weird things with gravity. After all, this is in space! :)

Two small suggestions: the cable itself is a bit uneven in a couple of places. It sometimes stutters a bit, for example between the 2nd and 3rd planets after the asteroids. Putting some work in getting the spline to be entirely smooth would help for this track.

My other suggestion is about that near the spaceship, the cables are so close to each other that you can race right through them. I suggest either moving them apart a little bit further (so that you cannot move through the other cable), or placing a thin cylinder inside the cable at those spots (so that you can actually collide with the cables there, instead of racing right through them). I used that same trick with the crossed cables in Composition #3. If the cylinders are just a little bit thinner than the cable, then they won't be visible. :)

I am going to post about user tracks on Facebook and Twitter, so hopefully even more people will try out your track that way! :D

Post subject: Re: [USER TRACK] SolarCoaster - *New Track*
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:38 pm 

I'm not terribly surprised by the fps issue on weaker systems. I haven't even thought about optimizing polycounts just yet. I'll try cutting back on the polygons for the next patch and see if that helps any.

I've noticed the track stutter right before Mars and Earth as well. It seems to be because I'm transitioning from spaced out vertices to tightly packed vertices in the spline and that causes awkward competing influences in the transition area. I'm not exactly sure what the best practice is there. It's a little frustrating because something very small in 3ds max can be very noticeable when you're actually playing the game.

The Proun engine can't handle particle effects in the traditional sense. I've thought about adding solar flares to the sun section. We'll see if I can get them to look decent. Can Proun handle alpha maps?

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:01 pm 

i made a few speed of light times (got world record too: not so many are playing at speed of light here since i made 7 sec. before 2nd. at my first try, lol). the distance between all the planets are perfect, especially after the space shuttle: i know it's laggy but take it like a challenge :)
the space shuttle is good, it has some problems but turning all the way makes you pass it... except the wing where i always grind :| when you come back it's made well (even the lag :D)
the sun is boring but i'm sure it's good as it is: you go really fast there and some more tricks would certainly stuck you (and the trick is already there 'cause if you're not perfectly up the tube you'll hit the sun)
asteroids are powerful in stopping you, but 1-2 times i made it trought almost perfectly (big luck to me as i barely see where i'm going)

i want to see more guys playing this track because i'm not that good and i've still got 25 sec. of advantage on the second... i'm happy to be first but all records seems 'just to try it fast' times

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 am 

Very nice track! However, the passage near the space shuttle is almost impossible (that damn wing! :D), as the final part near the asteroids...