Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Optimal Skolldir build + gameplay footage of build 1.18.
 Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNoTMrZNxpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNoTMrZNxpQ -Watch first before reading guide. 8-)

Ok, so this, IMO, is the most optimal build for skolldir in 1.18.

Image : ImageImage and Image/Image
Image :ImageImageImage

What to buy

Early game : ImageImageImage
Standard Skolldir items. This is what 99% of Skolldirs roll out with. This combo is enough to get you kills easily right off the bat. Stick with your team and try to catch anyone who overextends. Your grab range is huge horizontally and can combo with your stun punch. ie stun punch into throw works 99% of the time (except vs frog)

Middish Game :ImageImageImageImageImage

Order here is flexible. If the enemy team has a rae /coco I'd recommend getting 1regen/2hp punch before getting range on punch.

Mid-late game : ImageImageImageImage
This is usually where matches start ending. Get 1 in slow throw to help in teamfights even more, then max gnome. After this I'd get earthquake, but if there is an enemy frog on the team I would max slow which basically ensures death for any frog that gets grabbed. Max slow throw basically halves his dash length and makes it so that he cannot outjump your 3rd punch after Oily activates. Quake + snare + range + damage pretty standard.

How to play Skolldir effectively : Stay in the front lines, you have a pretty decent amount of HP and can tank hits REALLY well due to regen + HP punch. You can literally stay in lane all game as long as you don't overextend when your HP is low. +20HP per 3rd bash coupled with max regen makes it extremely difficult for the enemy team to push onto your team without commiting themselves or putting themselves at huge risk.

Some Skolldir tricks :

Click punching - Ok, I can't think of a better name but an easy way to improve your punches is to click each individual punch. this allows you to delay your 3rd punch while chasing or if you're kinda stalemating/footsieing at middle. This also allows you to chase enemies dropping through platforms better IMO.

The BnB - bread n butter : Land a stun punch then immediately go into throw. Simple Skolldir combo that is extremely effective. If you land a stun punch it is basically a guaranteed grab followup. Enemies can drop below platforms, but with experience you'll be able to read these situations and follow them and grab them mid dropdown.

Last second jump on 3rd bash - People instinctively try to jump away when they are thrown. Last second jump punches are a great way to catch people trying to escape. The more you play, the more you'll be able to react to jumps. With slow on throw you won't even need to jump punch.

Turret bodyblocking : Ok, you've thrown an enemy into your turret and now he's trying to escape. Skolldir has a huge character model allowing him to easily body block enemies. try to do short hops in front of the enemy to bodyblock, you'll have to be a bit preemptive when blocking them because the game's netcode is wonky. Another trick is when you know an enemy will jump over your character model, you do the first two punches of your combo then you delay the 3rd punch and turn around and hit them after they've jumped over your model! Great trick to catch enemies trying to escape.

Grabbing characters through turret : your grab range is ridiculous. You can grab people halfway through their turret. use this to your advantage. the threat of this forces enemies to play way back when your team is pushing.

Character Matchups:
One of the most difficult matchups for Skolldir all throughout the game. His early game competes with yours (missiles + instant 40 dmg dynamite). It is extremely difficult to catch him. his double/triplejump is really problematic for skolldir early game. He jukes you extremely well and with his missiles + dynamites covering him I would recommend not approaching him unless it is a 2v1 situation. Mid game he gets slow bull triple dynamite double missiles , but by this time you should have the regen/lifesteal punch and this allows you to go head to head with lonestar. Always count his jumps and try to time your 3rd punch when hes landing so you can combo into your throw.

His 1v1 is on par with you. He has a great early game and his dash is extremely hard to punish. This matchup requires alot of work. Both of you will be baiting each other into using your main skills and whoever whiffs usually loses. The matchup IMO , is in Skolldir's favor. Your punch destroys his tornado, your grab destroys his tornado and your earthquake can even snare him mid dash. if you hit a frog with stun punch he will most likely dash out of there. If you're in a position where you know he will dash, jump up and bait the dash and grab him after the dash animation ends and punish him. If he dashes into you and starts tornadoing you can grab him out of tornado, if you have slow on throw and gnomes frog is usually insta gibbed. Hard matchup, but i think its in skoll's favor.

Free kill. Not kidding. Get range, get Hp punch and clunk literally becomes a non factor. Huge target and extremely easy to grab/land punches on.

Annoying early game due to strong DoT and strong plants. Near midgame when you start getting your sustaining abilities (regen/lifesteal punch) he kinda becomes a non factor. his DoT is basically a non factor since you burst heal so quick and he dies if he gets caught and cannot doe anything to escape. Just avoid early game and wait it out till midgame.

Hard, but still manageable. his hitbox is HUGE so just pick at him with range punch + Hp punch and if you know he's going to unseige, run up and grab him. His bumpsnare will OHKO you, but you have greater movement speed so it shouldn't happen too often. If you see him buy boots you should get boots too so he can't outrun you.

Free kill. Skolldir hard counters monkey extremely well. one grab usually results in dead monkey anywhere on screen. Your 3rd bash will knock him out of jetpack mode so make sure you drop down with him to land the grab.

i'll add more later. 8-)

Post subject: Re: Optimal Skolldir build + gameplay footage of build 1.18.
 Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 am 

Rollercoaster tycoon :monkey:

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 am 
Adminaut

toilethumor wrote:
Free kill. Skolldir hard counters monkey extremely well. one grab usually results in dead monkey anywhere on screen. Your 3rd bash will knock him out of jetpack mode so make sure you drop down with him to land the grab.

i'll add more later. 8-)

Like I've been tellin' everyone...

Awesomenobi: Awesomenaut Gaming Channel
Ronimo Code of Conduct

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am 

Good guide, and the video is pure ownage, I would hate to be on the opposing team.

toilethumor wrote:

Click punching - Ok, I can't think of a better name but an easy way to improve your punches is to click each individual punch. this allows you to delay your 3rd punch while chasing or if you're kinda stalemating/footsieing at middle. This also allows you to chase enemies dropping through platforms better IMO.

Btw how long can you delay the punch? Is it half a second?

My YouTube gameplay
http://tinyurl.com/nss6dd9

Just the YouTube Beginner Guides
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q195aIf ... wil0hSJ0IO

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am 

LOL

"I don't wanna be the bad guy anymore."

What is this toilethumor contributing to the community crap?

Every Voltar main wrote:
The keyboard is mightier than the sword.

Though no one seems to understand how rare it is for a woman to be like me.
Good luck with that.

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 pm 

Wow. Nice stuff. Does somebody got anymore "little tricks" for skolldir? I'm in love with him again after he got himself some new boots.

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:21 pm 

Wow you're a lady and a scholar. Come see me 1v1 sorona mid you fraud.

edwiener's video thread

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:50 pm 

rockhard is undoubtedly the king of editing Awesomenauts gameplay footage. Even though the results are occasionally disturbing.

That Clunk needs to learn how to juke using springs, because there aint no gettin' away from dem punches as a big slow robot without some rapid vertical escape mechanism. Except perhaps double snare bite and a bit of luck.

Also, yeah, wouldn't change a thing about this loadout. Against a poke-heavy/hyper-push team that can deny you jungle creeps you can go throw+quake+regen post-drop instead and sacrifice early player-killing power for some ability to keep lane pushed... but maybe if you land your stun punches as well as toilethumor, you'd want to rush the stun every time. (Skolldir's biggest weakness is his droid clearing, IMO; he's best placed with teammates like Lonestar that can keep the lanes pushed without any help, but if you can't pick your friends, early quake is always there for you.)

I like videos.
Clunk Spring Airshot - Lonestar Perfect Bull - 1.18.4b Hybrid Derpl - Voltar says NO

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm 

LMAO!

The use of coherent grammar and organization! What a hero.. Give him the duck!

"you're a **** frog" ~Raork

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm 

This dude trying hella hard to be an outstanding community member wowww trash skoll, wheres thrill??

edwiener's video thread