Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: [USER TRACK] SolarCoaster - *New Track*
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 am 

I decided to make this track today. Enjoy flying around the planets of the inner solar system (not to scale). Most of it is pretty easy but the asteroid field can be a real challenge. Try it out and let me know what you think!

Download (~15mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?r1ldqa2ogfu8uly
Download Patch (~1.6mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?zoxhedn6wucd679 (note: you'll need the original file as well as this patch).

Last edited by tpapp157 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SolarCoaster - *New Track*
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 am 

Good idea but bad execution because it is impossible to play on speed of light

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 pm 

Yeah. You're right. I don't have speed of light unlocked so it's impossible for me to test the course that high (I'm not that great at the game).

I'm still trying to get a feel for the sizing and spacing of things. In most games you at least have some real life reference point to base things like sizing off of when creating new content. The abstract nature of Proun gives you nothing.

It'd be really helpful if I knew the speed of the ball (3ds max units/second) and its rotation rate as well as the size of the ball and track. Some more detailed feedback would be helpful too. What specific sections worked well and what didn't? For example, did the Earth-Venus-Mercury-Sun section have a good rhythm or does it need to be spaced out more?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:06 pm 

Well its trial and error really and if you want to make tracks first get speed of light unlocked so people can play it on it :)
If you want a fast way of unlocking it someone found one sometime ago and it is this:

Go to you'r Proun folder then go to data and there is a fail there State.bat open it with notepad, delete the text that is there and write Th3 L4mb L13S D0wN 0N Br04dW4y this will unlock every difficulty and the first bonus track.

WARNING !!! This is considered as cheating use at you'r own risk !!!

Good luck with you'r next tracks :)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:32 am 

Great work on the track mate!! It's awesome to see more custom tracks being made.

The idea of the space theme is a good one. It's something a little bit different from what is in the game already.

Just a few tips on how I think you can improve the design....
Spacing some of the obstacles out a bit would help the flow of the track a lot as well as making the track playable on the higher speeds. The hardest section at the moment would have to be the asteroids. They are very very tight.
Also, the second space shuttle wing that you pass is angled in such a way that it is possible to get stuck on it. What I mean there is that if you hit it, you actually have to reverse out and try again. You can't just keep accelerating and turn. I am not sure if this is intentional or not on your part, but it is something that seems to have been avoided on the default maps as well as the other two custom maps I have tried.

Overall I think the track has the potential to be great. It just needs a bit of adjustment. Full credit to you for giving it a go (you're doing a lot better than the rest of us who haven't contributed anything :D ). I can't wait to see what you can do with the track (assuming you are planning on trying to improve it).

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm 

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I agree with all your points.

I just tried my course on Speed of Light a few times. It's actually more doable than I expected it to be. Even the asteroids seem manageable with some practice if you lay off the acceleration. Still, I'll space them out some more and adjust the approach on the shuttle wing.

What do you think of the overall track? Should it be longer/shorter? How many laps should it have?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:04 pm 

Longer 4 laps

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:42 pm 

I like it! Although, I find it just a tad too hard at the asteroids.

I challenge you to make an extended version of this track, that goes all the way out to Pluto!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:23 pm 

New Patch.
Download (~1.6mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?zoxhedn6wucd679
I didn't include the texture files in this update so it's much smaller.

Changes:
- I spaced out the asteroids and redid their orientations slightly so they're less random. For example you should be able to get through the first section of asteroids by just turning left. They should be easier now.
- I redid the track around the space shuttle. I think it might be more difficult now than it was before but I'm not sure.
- I spaced out Mars' moons more.

To do:
- Remake the Sun section so it's a little more interesting. Ideas?
- Maybe add something to the Moon. Ideas?

I've thought about including the entire solar system but I figured I would keep the map smaller for now. If I can think of an interesting way of adding the rest of the planets then I might.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:31 pm 

Excellent work mate. That new version is a definite improvement.

As for ideas for the Sun and Moon sections:
- You could make the sun have a smoother surface, and then add some solar flare arches. Like this.
- On the Moon, you could add a USA flag as a minor obstacle on the side of the track. Like this.
- If you wanted to go even further, you could add a space man on the moon like you can also see in that picture above. (Space man could just be decorative as opposed to an actual obstacle)

One thing I did notice when comparing the layout of your tack to the default tracks, is that the actual track (tube) on yours has a lot more tight bends in it. All the default tracks are much straighter with softer bends. A good example of this on your track is the bits around the space shuttle and the asteroids. I don't know if you did that intentional or not. When playing the default tracks, you can usually see a lot more in front of you and can plan out your lines a bit more, whereas in your track, a lot of the time, you come around a sharp bend and there is an obstacle in your face. Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing, just pointing it out in case you are unaware. It certainly does give you're track a much higher element of difficulty.

Can't wait for the next update.