Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Does Awesomenauts have enough characters? (Vote)
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 pm 

Vote here, if you please: https://strawpoll.com/6fp2d9sc

Kewn recently stated on Wednesday's streamisho that Ronimo already has new character prototypes in the works, and they're not even finished releasing/balancing this most recent generation of characters. Lately it feels like Ronimo has turned into a factory line, churning out characters efficiently and not much else. They've gotten good at making characters, there's no denying that, but I worry about the state of the rest of the game. The number of maps has stagnated, the number of modes hasn't changed, and they stopped redoing old character art.

So what does a constant supply of new characters mean? Well, the meta will never stay the same long enough for anyone to have fun with the game. I can't take this game seriously knowing the meta is just going to shift in another month, and none of the old characters are getting adjusted to fit into the new meta (which has lately been Ix/Smiles style displacement followed up by a team collapse).

New characters mean a different game, a different game which might be received differently. If you KNOW people loved and enjoyed old nauts, that means you should proceed with caution so as to not change the heart of what made nauts so lovable... but Ronimo is behaving extremely recklessly by churning out new characters like it's their one job. The result is a totally different game than what they started with, and progress doesn't necessitate improvement.

My opinion is that while characters are exciting for a bit, ultimately they represent a huge risk factor, since the game's reputation is on the line, and because the newest character represents the face of Awesomenauts until it's settled in. Also, while creating maps and character overhauls may seem time-consuming and unrewarding, I believe it is a long term investment. People won't be seem thrilled with the results right away, but over time, when you build up a sizable collection of quality components, people WILL take notice, and they will love the game more for it. I don't think mass production of characters shows any respect for the game or the fanbase around it. It shows that they found something that draws people's attention, and they're trying to exploit it for as long as they can.

Ronimo has become addicted to new characters, and as we all know, addiction kills you slowly. I don't want to have any part in this sad process, if they continue going down this road. I'm sad to see Awesomenauts turn into some unrecognizable corporate money grab, but who knows, maybe it was inevitable.

Also, this is my first strawpoll so I'm curious to see how it goes.

Post subject: Re: Does Awesomenauts have enough characters? (Vote)
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 pm 

New characters is what keeps me coming back to this game. When Rocket was out I re-installed awesomenauts. Of course I would also come back for new maps.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:34 pm 

Hero wrote:
New characters is what keeps me coming back to this game. When Rocket was out I re-installed awesomenauts. Of course I would also come back for new maps.

But you still end up leaving again until the next new character, so do you really care about the game, or do you just care about the novelty of new content? I would suggest re-evaluating your relationship with Awesomenauts.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:35 pm 

not until it has valentina

on a more serious note i'm fine with new characters as long as they're well designed
dizzy's multi-dash is a fun idea but her "clone" skill is a pathetic waste of potential

it'd be nice if ronimo would release characters as underpowered/weak than the overpowered pieces of garbage they tend to be, but it'd also be even better if they would freaking listen to the beta testers and release them in as balanced a state as possible

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 pm 

kathy wrote:
not until it has valentina

on a more serious note i'm fine with new characters as long as they're well designed
dizzy's multi-dash is a fun idea but her "clone" skill is a pathetic waste of potential

Ronimo won't add valentina because it would set a precedent that if you ask long enough and hard enough, they'll eventually cave in to your demands. But, I think it's a shame that she almost won until they reset the votes, because now we're stuck with :ixsad:

I agree with you about dizzy's clone, it's so obviously a reskinned chucho bomb. It's pathetic.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:33 pm 

Ronimo I'm getting bored and tired of new, broken untested characters

That's why we need new, broken and untested map. Remember Starstorm? That trip was so much fun.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 pm 

Popcioslav wrote:

That's why we need new, broken and untested map. Remember Starstorm? That trip was so much fun.

So what is your point? Are you saying Ronimo is incapable of releasing anything balanced? We know they are, because we have other great maps besides starstorm...

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:54 pm 

Luckytime wrote:
Popcioslav wrote:

So what is your point? Are you saying Ronimo is incapable of releasing anything balanced? We know they are, because we have other great maps besides starstorm...

That's not my point. I was just making a complaint disguised as a sarcastic unhelpful post pointing out the obvious like 99% of people on these forums do.

I never said Ronimo is incapable of releasing anything balanced, but that takes time and effort. In my honest opinion, yes, Nauts have at least for now enough characters and I'd much rather have them being balanced/tweaked etc. before releasing new ones so we can actually get a stable game with a stable balanced.

Also, disagreed. While I'm pretty sure everyone here has that one map they like, most if not all of the maps needed major tweaks, before we've ended up where we are. Starstorm, original Sorona, 404, original Aig. I do believe Ronimo can make a good map, even now, but it would be better if they tried more testing and listening to our feedback before fully implementing something new to the table.

Take it from me :raehands:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:26 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Popcioslav wrote:
That's not my point. I was just making a complaint disguised as a sarcastic unhelpful post pointing out the obvious like 99% of people on these forums do.

There is a very subtle distinction between "unhelpful and sarcastic" and "deceptively useful."

Not that Ronimo would know anything about subtlety as they proceed to announce their plans to continue haemorrhaging players on the Streamisho by doing the equivalent of erecting a great neon sign of the words "do you want more 'Nauts?"

I think if there were a penny donated to charity for every person that simultaneously screamed "no" at their computer screen, we could fund an expedition to the subterranean stretches of Venus to retrieve the cadre of soloqueue players that have apparently taken up residency there.

Something something wheel of responses, words words on topic Kathy stay.

(Speaking of) on-topic: I voted for the majority result. You all know what that is.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 pm 

I'm all for new characters, as long as they are fun to play, reasonably well-balanced (I never expect anyone to be perfect), and creatively designed (both visually and mechanically).

If and/or when new Awesomenauts start to feel too similar or simply like blatant copies of other MOBA heroes (this could already be said for a few admittedly), then I think it's time to take a step back.

I do worry that Ronimo may actually be releasing new 'Nauts too frequently nowadays, and thereby not giving each enough time to settle in and be balanced appropriately, but as long as these new additions remain profitable and sustainable for Ronimo, I'm okay with it.

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip: